Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-08-2019, 10:29 AM   #21

I have had that Pizza oven for 5 years now and it's always a hit. Now several of my "camping family" have one as well. It's a great social night gathering we do over the trips where a few of us gather, create, drink and eat. While I have enough weighted gadgets, toting around my stand mixer is out of the question for me. Great how to though.

I have tried a lot of fzn doughs and Aldi had the best for a long time, but they stopped carrying it. WM fzn is pretty good and has good bite, stretch and crust.

I did make it on my own a few times, but for the cost it's about the same and it is camping, so my crowd is always happy with the fzn. If you put them out in the heat for an hour you can get a really airy flaky crust.

Whole milk cheese is best. Fresh sauce like Pepinos or like you Tom is a fresh puree of san marzanos.

A few fan faves. Chicago meat lovers in a cast iron skillet. White pizza. Smoked boneless chicken thighs with BBQ sauce, caramelized onions and cheddar cheese.

Then there is the what do we have leftover pizzas.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:08 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
I have had that Pizza oven for 5 years now and it's always a hit. Now several of my "camping family" have one as well. It's a great social night gathering we do over the trips where a few of us gather, create, drink and eat. While I have enough weighted gadgets, toting around my stand mixer is out of the question for me. Great how to though.

I have tried a lot of fzn doughs and Aldi had the best for a long time, but they stopped carrying it. WM fzn is pretty good and has good bite, stretch and crust.

I did make it on my own a few times, but for the cost it's about the same and it is camping, so my crowd is always happy with the fzn. If you put them out in the heat for an hour you can get a really airy flaky crust.

Whole milk cheese is best. Fresh sauce like Pepinos or like you Tom is a fresh puree of san marzanos.

A few fan faves. Chicago meat lovers in a cast iron skillet. White pizza. Smoked boneless chicken thighs with BBQ sauce, caramelized onions and cheddar cheese.

Then there is the what do we have leftover pizzas.

I’ve had mine about 5 years too. Your pizzas sound good. I do a bbq pizza, Bahn Mi (crowd favorite), as well as some dessert pizzas.

I’m surprised you find the cost of making dough equal to buying frozen. I made enough dough to make 12 pizzas for about $5 using the King Arthur flour. Its about double that when I use my usual Caputo “00”.

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:29 PM   #23

Makin me hungry for pizza ya are
Old 01-08-2019, 01:26 PM   #24
Site Team

I make my dough at home and then buy pizza from a pie place on the road with the dough.

All kidding aside, the crust is what makes pizza great. I remember my Mom making it when I was a kid.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:03 PM   #25

Only a REAL man uses a stand mixer in his camper!!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:07 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
My Italian grandmother (God rest her sole) might have somethin to say about that LOL
Old 01-08-2019, 05:24 PM   #27

Quote:

Lol! And wear his apron while doing it. (Forgot to wear my apron on video) [emoji23][emoji23]

Old 01-08-2019, 05:25 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
My Italian grandmother (God rest her sole) might have somethin to say about that LOL

So true! Only a “Nona” can make pizza dough by hand.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:07 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
So true! Only a “Nona” can make pizza dough by hand.
Oh the meals. My Mom gabe me her hand written recipe for Italian Waffle cookies so we found an old Italian Waffle cookie iron an started a new tradition this year for Christmas. Makin Italian Waffle cookies. Unlike my grandfather I didn't do em over the grill I did em over the gas stove. But me an him would drink beer an eat Waffle cookies till dinner time when I went over to see em for Christmas. Now I do it. It's awesome!!
Old 01-08-2019, 06:19 PM   #30

Quote:
Oh the meals. My Mom gabe me her hand written recipe for Italian Waffle cookies so we found an old Italian Waffle cookie iron an started a new tradition this year for Christmas. Makin Italian Waffle cookies. Unlike my grandfather I didn't do em over the grill I did em over the gas stove. But me an him would drink beer an eat Waffle cookies till dinner time when I went over to see em for Christmas. Now I do it. It's awesome!!

Can I come over for some cookies and beer? [emoji3]

Old 01-08-2019, 07:11 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
Can I come over for some cookies and beer? [emoji3]
Well there gone but we can mix up another batch LOL
Old 01-08-2019, 07:30 PM   #32

Quote:
Well there gone but we can mix up another batch LOL

[emoji481] sounds good to me!

Old 01-09-2019, 09:31 AM   #33

Great video, Tom! Thanks for sharing. You've inspired me to step up our pizza making here too

A quick question from watching the video. Did the dough rest overnight in the refrigerator or room temp?

Gone but not forgotten:
Harvey – *SOLD* 2018 Eagle HT TT 314BHDS
Big D - 2002 F250 XLT CCSB 7.3L Power Stroke (semi-retired)
NorCal Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:37 AM   #34

Quote:
"Italian waffle cookies", known to me as Pizzelle, are a HUGE tradition in my family!

I also have a hand written recipe from my grandmother. It's one of my most cherished possessions.

We traditionally used irons (cast), usually over a gas stove (of course, it was fire before that). When my grandmother died, I inherited one of her irons. I have only an electric stove though, so I don't use that iron very often because while I have an outdoor propane stove, it's kind of a pain to use with this iron. And we don't often have fires or make coals that can be used.

So I have started "cheating". To be fair, it was actually my grandmother's idea. Many years ago she sent me an electric waffle cone maker with that hand-written recipe. A few years ago I was walking through Bed, Bath and Beyond and found a real, genuine, electric Pizzelle iron made by Cuisinart. There was no discussion or debate, that item went in my basket immediately!! LOL!!

You can get one on Amazon now!! https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-WM-...pizzelle+maker

I don't care if it's "cheating", my family and I still have drinks and tell stories in my kitchen around this electric iron, just like we did in my grandmother's kitchen around her cast irons, and in my great grandmother's kitchen around her "pot-belly" stove, and for I don't know how many generations before that.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 01-09-2019, 09:47 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Eagle View Post
Great video, Tom! Thanks for sharing. You've inspired me to step up our pizza making here too

A quick question from watching the video. Did the dough rest overnight in the refrigerator or room temp?

Excellent question and I should have explained what I was doing better in the video. I kept the dough refrigerated overnight to rest. After I rolled into dough balls, they rested at room temperature.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:19 AM   #36

Quote:
"Italian waffle cookies", known to me as Pizzelle, are a HUGE tradition in my family!

I also have a hand written recipe from my grandmother. It's one of my most cherished possessions.

We traditionally used irons (cast), usually over a gas stove (of course, it was fire before that). When my grandmother died, I inherited one of her irons. I have only an electric stove though, so I don't use that iron very often because while I have an outdoor propane stove, it's kind of a pain to use with this iron. And we don't often have fires or make coals that can be used.

So I have started "cheating". To be fair, it was actually my grandmother's idea. Many years ago she sent me an electric waffle cone maker with that hand-written recipe. A few years ago I was walking through Bed, Bath and Beyond and found a real, genuine, electric Pizzelle iron made by Cuisinart. There was no discussion or debate, that item went in my basket immediately!! LOL!!

You can get one on Amazon now!! https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-WM-...pizzelle+maker

I don't care if it's "cheating", my family and I still have drinks and tell stories in my kitchen around this electric iron, just like we did in my grandmother's kitchen around her cast irons, and in my great grandmother's kitchen around her "pot-belly" stove, and for I don't know how many generations before that.
That's kool.
My grandfather's was so old he ended up broking the handle of his and at the time my Mom couldn't find another one so she bought the electric. We'll prolly only make em once a yr for Christmas so I'll prolly stick with doin over the flame of the stove.
I hate to admit this but it was actually kind of fun to make em. Although I was having a time with the dough in the beginning. I called my Mom for advice as I was explaining what I was doin. She found humor in my at the time misery an worry and I beleive was just short of rolling on the floor laughing. She told it woukd start out very sticky but I never imagined it like that. Over all it was a good time and for the first time I was able to send her some rather than her sending them to us.
It's amazing the power of a cookie.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:01 PM   #37

Quote:
That's kool.
My grandfather's was so old he ended up broking the handle of his and at the time my Mom couldn't find another one so she bought the electric. We'll prolly only make em once a yr for Christmas so I'll prolly stick with doin over the flame of the stove.
I hate to admit this but it was actually kind of fun to make em. Although I was having a time with the dough in the beginning. I called my Mom for advice as I was explaining what I was doin. She found humor in my at the time misery an worry and I beleive was just short of rolling on the floor laughing. She told it woukd start out very sticky but I never imagined it like that. Over all it was a good time and for the first time I was able to send her some rather than her sending them to us.
It's amazing the power of a cookie.
One trick I've learned is to only use a little of the "dough" at a time. It handles MUCH better cold. If you take the whole bowl out of the fridge, by the time you get about half way through, the dough gets REALLY sticky as it warms up. So I just pull a little at a time from the fridge so it stays nice and cold.

Also, a cookie scoop works really well. The kind where you push the handle and a scraper dislodges the ball from the scoop. After the first couple cookies, you get a good idea of how much dough you should use to fill up the press, but not have it leak out the sides.

It is really an art, and I still LOVE doing it.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 01-15-2019, 05:37 PM   #38

Tom... holy cow that was awesome! I'm a HUGE pizza fanatic. I go to NYC (5 hour drive) just to eat pizza. It is far and away my favorite food ever. My wife and I used to make our own dough and pizza, but on a stone in our oven at home. I never found a sauce recipe that I liked, but I have a local italian food place with a great sauce and we buy a cup of sauce from them. I like your simple sauce idea... may have to try that. I am blown away by your pizza oven attachment. Never knew something like that existed. I'm researching ovens now!!!

I am truly inspired by this video. I have a deep dish cast iron recipe that I've been wanting to try, I might have to try yours too. Can you give measurements for your sauce (how much tomato, how much salt?) please? I like my sauce a little sweet, so I might add a pinch of sugar. Some fresh mozz, torn and scattered on top to round it out.

AWESOME post... truly one of the best I've seen here. The background is gorgeous too... but I'm hungry for pizza now (and we just had roast chicken, potatoes and salad!!!).
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 05:58 PM   #39

Campground pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
Tom... holy cow that was awesome! I'm a HUGE pizza fanatic. I go to NYC (5 hour drive) just to eat pizza. It is far and away my favorite food ever. My wife and I used to make our own dough and pizza, but on a stone in our oven at home. I never found a sauce recipe that I liked, but I have a local italian food place with a great sauce and we buy a cup of sauce from them. I like your simple sauce idea... may have to try that. I am blown away by your pizza oven attachment. Never knew something like that existed. I'm researching ovens now!!!

I am truly inspired by this video. I have a deep dish cast iron recipe that I've been wanting to try, I might have to try yours too. Can you give measurements for your sauce (how much tomato, how much salt?) please? I like my sauce a little sweet, so I might add a pinch of sugar. Some fresh mozz, torn and scattered on top to round it out.

AWESOME post... truly one of the best I've seen here. The background is gorgeous too... but I'm hungry for pizza now (and we just had roast chicken, potatoes and salad!!!).

Thanks for the kind words.

My sauce is pretty simple.
I can of Cento San marzano tomatoes (28 oz I think)
1 tsp of salt
3-4 basil leaves
Pinch of red pepper flakes (I like it this way but don’t always add it)
Use a stick blender to purée into your desired consistency

I taste the sauce and add salt or a pinch of sugar as needed.

Stay tuned...I have a new oven on the way and I’m going to do a gluten free dough. Seems like a lot of people are interested in GF these days.

Old 01-15-2019, 06:16 PM   #40

Quote:
One trick I've learned is to only use a little of the "dough" at a time. It handles MUCH better cold. If you take the whole bowl out of the fridge, by the time you get about half way through, the dough gets REALLY sticky as it warms up. So I just pull a little at a time from the fridge so it stays nice and cold.

Also, a cookie scoop works really well. The kind where you push the handle and a scraper dislodges the ball from the scoop. After the first couple cookies, you get a good idea of how much dough you should use to fill up the press, but not have it leak out the sides.

It is really an art, and I still LOVE doing it.
Thanks for the tips. I left the dough on the counter from time I made it till I was done.