Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-21-2016, 07:07 PM   #1

Cast Iron Skillet "Rack"- DIY?

We do 98% of our cooking outside, usually either on the Weber Q or the Camp Chef Explorer 2 burner stove. Trying to come up with an easy to assemble rack that is compact for storage, to hang the cast iron skillet pans from above/behind the Camp Chef. One that is about 6' tall, maybe 4-5' wide. I may have room to store it in one of the fence post sleeves, or could add another one if needed.

Any ideas? Have 4 skillets pans, plus the 2 Camp Chef Pro griddles which have some weight to them.

TY!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:43 PM   #2

I would use square steel tubing and make it so pieces could slide together and be held in place with thumb screws. Build it so all pieces could slide into a pvc pipe mounted under your Jay Flight. I know this is not a very good description but perhaps it will give you an idea.
Lolead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:56 PM   #3

TY Lolead!

I have been kicking around a few ideas similar to that. And somewhat trying to "improve" on a buddy's design that used the perforated steel square tube. His is pretty darn slick though!!! Thumb screws are a good idea. I had considered drilling and using a pin w/ safety bail like is used on couplers sometimes.

Since I posted I have been kicking around the idea of black pipe, probably 1/2" (3/4" at the most) for the upright post. And maybe have them thread into a tee that has 12" (maybe 18") legs on each side for stability. Then maybe use a tee large enough to slide onto the post (will pin it if I have to) for the cross piece, possibly still using 1/2" (or 3/4") pipe though. Only thing I haven't figured out is how to hang the ci. Need a hook large enough (and strong enough) to go around the cross pipe, but small enough for the skillet handle to fit on.... Don't want to drill and use books that boot on. They may not slide into the fence post sleeve then. Hopefully work is very slow tmrw and I can brainstorm more!!! Though I probably just jinxed myself!!!! Lol

Old 07-22-2016, 05:32 AM   #4

Build one with pvc tubing. Kinda like a ladder ball rack. Eye hooks passing through the top with black chain. Spray paint the whole unit black to match the chains. Don't glue it. Instead, drill holes through each coupler (while assembled) and use 2"-3" hitch pins and cotter pins to hold it together. Would be able to slide the feet under a table if need be, to get it closer to the CHEF'S TABLE!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 02:50 PM   #5

TWP,

I have considered pvc pipe also, just not sure if it would be strong enough for a ~5' span between the posts. Not without increasing the pipe size. Was looking for something so the skillets hang just behind, and above the Camp Chef stove.

TY for the idea!!! Trying to take in all in, and hoping someone may have built something similar for some pics! Lol

I also need to build some type of "chuck box" to transport the ci in. But that is another project!!!

Old 07-24-2016, 09:12 PM   #6

So a trip to Home Depot resulted in some 1/2" black pipe. Only need to get some hooks mounted still to hang the pans.

I couldn't get a good pic with the rack standing, so laid it out on the ground.

The legs are 12" long on each side of the tee.
The posts are 6'.
The cross pipe is 4' between the tees, with a 6" piece on the outside of the tee.

It seems pretty strong. I did a few pull ups on it and it held up, so should be just fine for the cast iron.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:42 PM   #7

Rack worked great!!! Not the best pic, but here it is.

I used S hooks from rubber bungee straps to hang the the pans. Just gave them a 90* twist. Even hanging the heavy griddles just outside the post were fine. Just need to get a second hook so they hang even.

Only thing I plan on doing is to shorten the posts from 6' to 5'. Otherwise worked as planned!!!

Old 08-08-2016, 08:50 PM   #8

Pretty slick there man, I too have the Camp Chef Explorer and may be stealing your design
I bought the quick connect hose (replaces regulated hose) for my stove and just run it off the TT quick connect now
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
Pretty slick there man, I too have the Camp Chef Explorer and may be stealing your design
I bought the quick connect hose (replaces regulated hose) for my stove and just run it off the TT quick connect now
TY!

I have consider the quick connect hose, but we also have a Weber Q. Run both of them off a 20lb tank.

If you have the grill box (one with hinged lid) I wouldn't make the posts any shorter than 5-1/2'.