Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-26-2012, 11:17 AM   #61
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerncanuck View Post
Coleman drip coffee maker....with Timmy's coffee...
We like Timmy's coffee too (I assume you're referring to Tim Horton's)! Years ago we used to have to import it from Canada and use it sparingly- like just on Sundays and holidays. Now, we can buy it in Sam's Club and have as often as we like. Unfortunately, Sam's Club is only place we've ever seen it here in the states. However, if anyone has seen it elsewhere (other than a Tim Horton's), please post it so we have another source. The nearest Tim Horton's to us here in western Pennsylvania is in West Virginia or Ohio and over an hour away.

Actually, we carry a minimum of three coffeemakers when we camp- an electric drip, a Melita drip and a good old fashioned campfire percolator.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:15 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPM III View Post
We like Timmy's coffee too (I assume you're referring to Tim Horton's)! Years ago we used to have to import it from Canada and use it sparingly- like just on Sundays and holidays. Now, we can buy it in Sam's Club and have as often as we like. Unfortunately, Sam's Club is only place we've ever seen it here in the states. However, if anyone has seen it elsewhere (other than a Tim Horton's), please post it so we have another source. The nearest Tim Horton's to us here in western Pennsylvania is in West Virginia or Ohio and over an hour away.

Actually, we carry a minimum of three coffeemakers when we camp- an electric drip, a Melita drip and a good old fashioned campfire percolator.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_n_...hortons+coffee

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:34 PM   #63
Site Team

Is Tim Horton`s coffee exceptionally good? I have never tried it, in fact I had never heard of it, but just may have to give it a whirl!!.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:56 PM   #64

Here's his story!

http://www.timhortons.com/us/en/abou...timhorton.html
Old 04-26-2012, 07:05 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Is Tim Horton`s coffee exceptionally good? I have never tried it, in fact I had never heard of it, but just may have to give it a whirl!!.
Tim Horton's is "Canadian crack" It is very good coffee, nothing like Starbucks but more similar to Mcdonalds I would say.

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:11 PM   #66

I like my percolater for camping. I do use filters with it to keep the grounds out
http://www.amazon.com/Melitta-627402...=pd_sim_gro_15
Riverbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:34 AM   #67

Check out that note in 2nd photo you referenced. Might save you some $. Next time I am boondocking, I'm going to try that.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:33 PM   #68

McDonalds
Old 04-30-2012, 09:50 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
My friend from Michigan is my coffee buddy. She would rave about TH. A couple of years ago we went to Ohio for a family reunion and stopped for coffee. I like mine dark and strong - like my men. This coffee would have been a 150lb Swedish man.

My friend later admitted that TH was more like a tradition than simply great. I was wondering why she raved about it and even had a big can of it in my chest freezer that she brought back from MI one year. We are both espresso drinkers so it struck me as curious. I think it was one of those "love those back home things" with her perhaps.

My favorite Starbucks roast is Caffe Verona. I like Trader Joe's French Roast, too.

Good gravy! If you EVER have a chance to pour espresso over vanilla ice cream - DO IT! It's called an affogato and it's heaven in a cup. It's my favorite dessert. Delish!

Kim

2008 CHEV SILVERADO Crew Cab LT
2012 Jayco X18D
PhxKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:40 AM   #70

I use a Bass Pro Shops stainless steel percolator on the Coleman stove. I use a filter to keep out the grinds.

Been a camper since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago :)
From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:49 AM   #71

We use a farberware stovetop percolator. I try to stay away from appliances in the camper due to space limitations, and this little percolator works great.
gaylec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:22 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
Keurig coffee maker. I just fire up the generator long enough to perk.
X2 Got to have coffee

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2022 Ford F-450 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:00 AM   #73

My wife uses the French press. It does not matter if we have power or not, she always gets her coffee.

My parents have this coooool stainless Steel double boiler (????) percolator thing. They have two of them and I have NEVER seen anything else like it. It has this funnel looking thing that seats (tight seal) on top of the coffee pot. The upper chamber has a funnel almost touches the bottom of the pot as the water boils it creates steam which pushed the water up into the upper chamber (funnel thing) where the grounds are at. There is no filter basket as you know it, just this small double metal discs over the funnel opening. It percolates as the steam passes through. Then all of a sudden a vacuum is created and the coffee is pulled back down through the disks. Walla you have coffee. Pull the upper chamber off and pour.

Me, I don’t drink the stuff, smells great tastes horrible.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:11 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxKim View Post
I think I love you all. I actually looked at a mini Keurig to buy but thought my husband would like me. He thinks I'm a kitchen gadget hoarder. But I can't live without my Vitamix! : )

For you percolator types: I don't know the ratio of water to coffee. The pot boils over and coffee goes everywhere and the grounds get into the coffee! I think I have an 8 cup pot. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Kim
Your pot boiled over because the flame was too high- Stove made coffee must be watched- I use 1 level tablespoon of 100% Columbian coffee per 3 cups of water- Start the mixture on high heat until the pot starts to perk, then reduce the flame until you have a steady perk for about 5 minutes- I know how hard it is to get that first cup of joe before we are really alert but it can be done- Don't ask me how I know- Good luck during your learning process- JMHO- DD
Old 08-07-2012, 12:08 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxKim View Post
We could be friends. Very good friends. :hihi:
NOT if you try to drink my coffee....Mr.T
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Donnie View Post
Your pot boiled over because the flame was too high- Stove made coffee must be watched- I use 1 level tablespoon of 100% Columbian coffee per 3 cups of water- Start the mixture on high heat until the pot starts to perk, then reduce the flame until you have a steady perk for about 5 minutes- I know how hard it is to get that first cup of joe before we are really alert but it can be done- Don't ask me how I know- Good luck during your learning process- JMHO- DD
I agree with your process for excellent percolator coffee with this one added step that some one told me about and it works.
He told me that you perc it for 5 min, then let it rest for 5 min. That way if any grinds to get in there they go to the bottom.
It seems to work well.
I get a kick out of people walking by in the morning smelling my coffee cooking on the stove.
I've had people ask me for a cup. I remember years ago we had these campers next to us, and I think they drank too much wine the night before. The woman comes stumbling out of her tent, smells the coffee, and begged me for some of my brew. She needed a quick fix for a massive headache, caffeine and aspirin.

Been a camper since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago :)
From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:49 AM   #77

Melitta ready set joe is great since it only needs hot water. It is usually priced under $10 too.
newcamper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:14 AM   #78

We usually (almost always) make our coffee with a standard kitchen type electric drip model.

If we don't have AC current, we make "Cowboy Coffee" with the percolator on the Coleman stove. We use a hot setting to get it boiling, and then let it perk with less heat so it doesn't boil over.

Sometimes, if we want a quick start in the morning we make the coffee the night before and put it in a thermos.

Last but not least, there is a product that fits in the percolator's basket that folds around the grounds and keeps them from getting into the coffee. It comes out of the package as a flat sheet with pre-punched holes. I don't remember the product's name, and they are stored in the camper. We get them at Kroger in the coffee section. They are inexpensive, easy to use, and work great. (They are the same concept as the old Maxwell House Coffee rings - only you do it yourself.)
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:01 PM   #79

We use this Coleman stove top on our portable propane stove. It works awesome

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Coffeemaker/10299012
Mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:34 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheGo View Post
... there is a product that fits in the percolator's basket that folds around the grounds and keeps them from getting into the coffee...
I've found this really helps out on the clean-up, too. We use a regular coffee filter to do this. Just poke a hole in the filter with the percolator tube as you place the filter into the percolator basket. Put in the coffee, and then sort of fold over the filter onto the top of the coffee.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote