Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-13-2016, 03:49 PM   #1

I Have A Weber Problem!!!

So after seeing the Weber WSM 14.5" at Walmart in Gaylord on the way to the in laws last night, I started seriously thinking about it for camping. Got in the tvwbb.com forum to see what the small smoker is capable of, and read some are finding it as cheap as $100 or even $50 on clearance, marked down from $200.....

So a call to the store this morning revealed I have a Weber problem, as I ran back to the store and bought the assembled display model complete with manual and cover for $50!!!!!

Now I no longer need to lug the larger 18.5" WSM when we want some awesome smoked dinners....

Here is a pic of the 3 pork butts I smoked last week while camping at Higgins Lk in Northern Michigan. They totaled just under 27lbs.

I figure as long as I can get 2 butts on the 14.5" that are 16-20lbs total I will be good to go.

Just need to see if I can store it in the 32 somewhere.

So if anyone is considering the small 14.5" WSM, check your local Walmart for a "smokin' price"!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 04:35 PM   #2

Been looking at switching over to a Webber charchole grill over the propane. Thanks for the info. Off to walley world I go
Old 08-13-2016, 08:40 PM   #3

TK,

Not sure if Walmart has the kettle grills on sale also, but you can use the WSM as a grill by setting the cooking grate on the charcoal ring, and removing the middle section and setting the lid on the "bottom bowl". Just have to be careful not to knock it off. I have done this with my 18" WSM before. You can also make 3 little tabs to keep the lid on. There is a company that makes the tabs also. I will try to find it again. I don't see why they wouldn't work on the 14" like they do the -8" or 22" WSM's.

Get a chimney starter for the charcoal, and use paper or paper towel with bacon grease to start the coals! No need for the nasty lighter fluid that way.

Old 08-14-2016, 06:19 AM   #4

That is an amazing find price wise. I recently got notification from camelcamelcamel that the 14.5 dropped to $160!

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 06:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quahog View Post
That is an amazing find price wise. I recently got notification from camelcamelcamel that the 14.5 dropped to $160!
Mike,

Sorry I missed your post!!!

I was very lucky to get teh WSM for $50!!! I figured it was to good to pass up. I have been happy with the 18". Had some great meals. I just need to start smoking more things on them. I have tried a pizza once, when I first got the smoker. Typical newbie mistake, it was a little strong smoke wise.

Our local Walmart has them for $100 right now last time I checked. Trying to score another one for a wedding gift, but trying to hold out for the price to drop more!!!

Old 09-11-2016, 05:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
Mike,

Sorry I missed your post!!!

I was very lucky to get teh WSM for $50!!! I figured it was to good to pass up. I have been happy with the 18". Had some great meals. I just need to start smoking more things on them. I have tried a pizza once, when I first got the smoker. Typical newbie mistake, it was a little strong smoke wise.

Our local Walmart has them for $100 right now last time I checked. Trying to score another one for a wedding gift, but trying to hold out for the price to drop more!!!
Well, I've checked three different Walmarts in the area and nobody is willing to sell me a WSM for $50 Seriously, I'd love to have the small one... we have the 22.5" WSM and it's the best smoker I own, hands down. For camping though, we picked up a GMG Davy Crockett pellet grill and it does a nice job. It's a bit on the heavy side so it rides in the truck bed but I love the remote control via WiFi on the iPhone app and that I can run it off 12V.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quahog View Post
Well, I've checked three different Walmarts in the area and nobody is willing to sell me a WSM for $50 Seriously, I'd love to have the small one... we have the 22.5" WSM and it's the best smoker I own, hands down. For camping though, we picked up a GMG Davy Crockett pellet grill and it does a nice job. It's a bit on the heavy side so it rides in the truck bed but I love the remote control via WiFi on the iPhone app and that I can run it off 12V.
That stinks! Hope you find one.

I have heard good things about the DC grills. For camping that would be a sweet set up as far as set and forget until the food is done.