Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-22-2014, 10:17 AM   #1

Like Drinking Water From An Old Tire.

This is my first year with the 154BH. I have noticed small blue plastic bits stuck in the water aerators in both the sink and shower head. I removed them and pressure has improved, however no matter what, the water from the tap tastes like drinking stagnant water from an old tire or something. YUCK. I even installed an inline filter for when I am connected to water provided by the RV park. Anyone else experience this?

Perhaps drinking water is to be purchased in bottles and not drank from the Fawcett.
humbleguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:58 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbleguru View Post
This is my first year with the 154BH. I have noticed small blue plastic bits stuck in the water aerators in both the sink and shower head. I removed them and pressure has improved, however no matter what, the water from the tap tastes like drinking stagnant water from an old tire or something. YUCK. I even installed an inline filter for when I am connected to water provided by the RV park. Anyone else experience this?

Perhaps drinking water is to be purchased in bottles and not drank from the Fawcett.
I've experienced the funny taste. It hacked me off a bit because I had just sanitized the system a couple months ago. I think the problem is that I didn't drain the water lines between trips. The water sits in the lines and the first water out the faucet tastes (and smells) like it's been sitting in a garden hose on a hot Texas lawn, and basically it has.

So, here's what I do to combat it. First, I have started pulling the low point drains and draining most of the water out of the lines before the TT goes to storage. Second, we use a 5 gallon water cooler jug that we refill at our grocery store for drinking water. We use this pump (http://www.amazon.com/Water-Bottle-P...hin+water+pump That way we always get the same water everywhere we go (I have problems with "traveler's disease" from the different bacterias in different water systems). Also, before I hook up the city water, I rinse out the hose for a minute or two. And I sanitize the entire system with diluted bleach mixture at least once a year. The real key is to make sure you run the water system enough to flush out the old water (one way or another) that's been sitting in the lines before you try to drink it.

I have to say, this system works VERY well for us. We still use one of the blue charcoal filters on the hose, so the water is probably drinkable. In fact, I would most likely drink it if we ran out of our "bottled" water.

One time, before I started being this particular about our water, our water was SO bad with the plastic/rubber taste that we had to throw out an entire batch of ice. It made our whole freezer smell, and obviously, whatever we put the ice in tasted like crap.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:49 PM   #3

I have never drank water from the tap in our trailer. I carry actual drinking water, either from home of another clean source. Also use jug water for coffee.
kjohn73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:14 PM   #4

Our water tastes fine, either from the tank or through the campsite supply. I never sanitize the system, just drain and blow out with air before winter. My wife will complain that her coffee tastes funny weather I use water that I bring from home in a jug or campsite supply so its a no win situation.
rodandmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:16 AM   #5

Most every state park in Michigan that has running water is on a municipal system so the water we put in our fresh tank is lightly chlorinated anyway. We fill up an insulated 5 gallon drinking water jug with ice and then water from the CG spigots for drinking. TT fresh water tank is for flushing, brushing and dishwashing.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:33 AM   #6

I have always used water in the camper just as I would at home. I have never had any issues with bad taste.

I do sanitize the the entire system with a bleach solution except the water heater at the beginning of each season. All of the water that goes into the fresh water tank is always passed through a filter. All water for the "City water" connection is always passed through a filter. I have never had any sediment problems with the valves/faucets.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:36 AM   #7

We use to hate the coffee in the morning unless we used used bottled water and never drank water from the spigot. We went to a double filter that has a cotton sediment filter and a charcoal filter that eliminates the chlorinated issue. Since we did that, we simply don't see any difference in water no matter where we go. Made a big difference. If the rig sets for over a month at a time not being used, we drain all tanks including the hot water tank.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:50 AM   #8

I full time so water from the tap is fine with me. I have a 1 micron particulate filter and a 1 micron charcoal filter for all incoming water. Since I use the water daily I don't have any issues with "old water" in the pipes. I do keep my fresh water tank full so if the park I am in has water issues I'm good on my own for several days. I switch over to the fresh water tank every few weeks and do laundry from it and when empty fill it back up with fresh.

Works for me for over 4 years now.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:38 AM   #9

We are getting the same thing happen to ours however it's. A new hose type taste that I can not get rid off. I have done the bleach flew out. Let it sit overnight in the diluted bleach instead of the 4 hrs recommended and it still tastes of rubber. I've tasted the. Ugh water from the tap and no problem there.

The problem seems to be the hose itself.

Would love to be able to get this taste out if the hose for good.
Hrhsharonnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrhsharonnick View Post
We are getting the same thing happen to ours however it's. A new hose type taste that I can not get rid off. I have done the bleach flew out. Let it sit overnight in the diluted bleach instead of the 4 hrs recommended and it still tastes of rubber. I've tasted the. Ugh water from the tap and no problem there.

The problem seems to be the hose itself.

Would love to be able to get this taste out if the hose for good.
What kind of hose are you using? If it isn't marked drinking water safe you can and probably will get that rubber taste.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:38 PM   #11

what we do

When hooked up to shore water I use the shortest hose needed and connect the charcoal filter at the Rv, not at the faucet, to try and minimize hose taste.
On our last RV we installed a filter at the kitchen faucet (from Lowes) that you could filter or bypass. This was for drinking and coffee. Washing dishes it was in bypass. Took a cheap replaceable cartridge.
On occassion, we'll freshen our tank with a mix of vinegar and water and a good rinsing flush.
We also carry a 3-5 gallon water jug from home. Love our well water.
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 07:23 AM   #12

I never drink from the tap... but then I never stay at a place with hookups. Are you using the white drinking water safe hose? Or are you using a regular garden hose? I will bet you are using a garden hose...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 07:31 AM   #13

Bottled water for us for drinking and coffee, etc. Campground water for cooking and showers etc. Never had a problem with taste but hardly ever use fresh water tank. In fact, usually keep fresh water tank empty. If ever do use it would have to sanitize again. Do keep some in fresh water tank on trips just for use of bathroom on the road. But try to keep all lines drained when not in use.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 08:38 AM   #14

Its bottled water for us as well. We are FRESH GROUND BEAN COFFEE lovers and found out real quick that if we didn't use the same water brand all the time our coffee taste would change big time.

We bring along our own same brand bottled water for cooking, drinking, and making coffee.

For us the fresh water tank or city water is only used to wash dishes and take showers etc...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 09:22 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmik Debris View Post
When hooked up to shore water I use the shortest hose needed and connect the charcoal filter at the Rv, not at the faucet, to try and minimize hose taste.
Love our well water.
X2 on the hose & well water

2007 Jayco Jay Flight 26BHS
2016 GMC Duramax Sierra 3500 HD Denali
4 Crown CR-235 6-volt batteries - 470 AH bank
3000 watt Magnum Energy MSH-3012 Tri Metric 2025
Cummins generator
Winegard Traveler DirecTV slimline HD SK-3005
Big Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
I never drink from the tap... but then I never stay at a place with hookups. Are you using the white drinking water safe hose? Or are you using a regular garden hose? I will bet you are using a garden hose...
Don't put money on the type of hose! It's a white fresh water hose from the RV store, both of them actually. We have a 25ft and a second at 50 ft for longer stretches. Both are new and have the same taste with them.
I've done the diluted bleach for up to 18 hrs before using them.

Admittedly we have only had the trailer for just over a month so it might need some more time to clean out the tastes.

Having a coffee or tea with another taste than what was supposed to be there is a bit much.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:41 PM   #17

Something is very wrong then.. FW hoses and RV plumbing have no rubber that would impart taste.. they are supposed to be chemically neutral. Has it been water from more than one source?
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 03:32 AM   #18

Quote:
Something is very wrong then.. FW hoses and RV plumbing have no rubber that would impart taste.. they are supposed to be chemically neutral. Has it been water from more than one source?
Yes it has been from more than one water source. I'll bring it up to the guys at the place we bought the trailer next month when we winterized it. Maybe they can find something.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:26 AM   #19

Quote:
I don't know that I agree with this entirely. Yes, if water is flowing regularly through the lines, then there is nothing imparted to the water. However, if you do like I have done and leave water in the lines between trips (say 6 weeks or so, in the Texas heat), the water definitely takes on a taste. And that taste is exactly what I remember the garden hose water tasting like as a kid. Granted, it doesn't take much to flush that old icky water out of the lines, but if you don't flush it, the smell and taste is intolerable.

Most recently we made ice with the water that was left in the lines, and it stunk up the entire freezer and made our drinks taste absolutely horrific.

So I've changed my process for water management. Now I drain all the water from the lines before it goes to storage, I run fresh water through my white city water hose for at least a minute before I connect it to the trailer, I use a charcoal filter attached at the city water connection, and I flush all the lines inside the trailer during prep before we depart. We also refill a 5 gallon water cooler jug at our local "Glacier" water station strictly for drinking water (same taste, same bacteria, every time).

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 11:14 AM   #20

If your water taste like rubber its the hose. Do you use a drinking water hose? Do not use a garden hose! Even some of the cheap drinking water hoses taste like rubber.