Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Life > Camp Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2015, 09:33 PM   #1

Local cuisine ... with a dash of humor

I'm curious to know if we can get a food-related humorous or insightful posting for every state and province! For those of us planning to haul our Jayco rig to many of these locales - your postings might encourage us to experiment with your regional cuisine.

CALIFORNIA: My DH (from Kentucky) noted on his first visit to this great state that "in California they don't know how to cook veggies, it seems they are always served raw or al dente (cooked to be firm to the bite)". Now don't get me started on Kentucky green beans.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:15 PM   #2

Well Kentucky green beans are so good due to the large amount of pork fat, onion, black pepper and salt. Everything is good with bacon in it!

I work in Kentucky and live in Southern Indiana so I see both regional quizine. One dish that intrigued me although I don't much care for them are banana Crocets (spelling?). Basically they cut bananas in about 3" pieces, dip them in mayonnaise and roll them in crushed peanuts. Nelson County Kentucky is the only place I've seen them.
Jflyboym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:22 PM   #3

As for Hoosier food, we put spaghetti in our chili and have our own pizza restaraunt, "Pizza King". It's thin crust cut in squares. I love it although some say it isn't real pizza ��
Jflyboym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:56 PM   #4

If you are coming through El Paso you need to check out Chico's Tacos..rolled tacos that are floating in some kind of mystery tomato sauce with grated WIC cheese on top...A local legend. But don't let me tell you about them, let Fluffy Iglesias tell you:

https://youtu.be/K7cvr7zmhug