Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-13-2023, 12:02 PM   #1

Low fat/sodium life

My wife recently survived the widow maker heart attack. Turns out the radiation she took 2 years ago for breast cancer created plaque build up in her main artery. Prayers were answered and she is doing better!

As a result we now have a completely new way of eating. Everything we eat now needs to be low in fat and low in sodium. This rules out eating out for the most part and results in us cooking a lot more often.

Anyone else camping on this type of diet? Curious if you precook meals in advance or cook all your meals in the camper. We have lots of recipes but certainly welcome suggestions.
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 12:18 PM   #2
Site Team

I was diagnosed with liver disease 2 years ago (non alcoholic steatohepatitis) and have been on an extremely restricted diet ever since. Now with that said, it is exactly the opposite of what your wife is doing. I am on a high fat Carnivore diet. But, I can speak to dealing with the restrictions while traveling.

First, having an RV makes this much easier. We do the vast majority of our cooking at the RV and either bring most of our supplies with us and make needed trips to grocery stores while we are on the road.

When eating out, I am upfront with the wait staff before we order. I just tell them that due to my health issues, this is what I am ordering....meat only, no veggies or carbs of any kind on my plate, etc. 99% of the time they are more than happy to accommodate. I have also found that privately owned restaurants are generally much easier to navigate than the chain places. But I have been able to work it out almost anywhere.

Tell your wife that it will take time to find out what works for her. But don't be afraid to ask. I can't tell you how many times I've had steak and eggs at places that don't even have it listed on the menu, just by asking.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 06:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
I was diagnosed with liver disease 2 years ago (non alcoholic steatohepatitis) and have been on an extremely restricted diet ever since. Now with that said, it is exactly the opposite of what your wife is doing. I am on a high fat Carnivore diet. But, I can speak to dealing with the restrictions while traveling.

First, having an RV makes this much easier. We do the vast majority of our cooking at the RV and either bring most of our supplies with us and make needed trips to grocery stores while we are on the road.

When eating out, I am upfront with the wait staff before we order. I just tell them that due to my health issues, this is what I am ordering....meat only, no veggies or carbs of any kind on my plate, etc. 99% of the time they are more than happy to accommodate. I have also found that privately owned restaurants are generally much easier to navigate than the chain places. But I have been able to work it out almost anywhere.

Tell your wife that it will take time to find out what works for her. But don't be afraid to ask. I can't tell you how many times I've had steak and eggs at places that don't even have it listed on the menu, just by asking.
I hear ya. Right now she is still healing (as in a portion of her heart is rebounding) so we have to be extra cautious with our diet. We will be able to go out and eat on occasion at some point but right now we’re not going out. Just too hard for restaurants to not add excessive salt.
Old 05-13-2023, 09:44 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry713 View Post
I hear ya. Right now she is still healing (as in a portion of her heart is rebounding) so we have to be extra cautious with our diet. We will be able to go out and eat on occasion at some point but right now we’re not going out. Just too hard for restaurants to not add excessive salt.
I understand completely. There is definitely an adjustment period at the beginning while you are getting used to your new normal. It will get easier with time.

I do like the fact that I am reading you say things like "being extra cautions with our diet" That is the key. Your willingness to do this with her makes it even easier for her. My wife did the same for me and supported me from the beginning, ate everything that I did, and made sure that she didn't "Cheat" in front of me. It made it so much easier and I never felt alone.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 08:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
I understand completely. There is definitely an adjustment period at the beginning while you are getting used to your new normal. It will get easier with time.

I do like the fact that I am reading you say things like "being extra cautions with our diet" That is the key. Your willingness to do this with her makes it even easier for her. My wife did the same for me and supported me from the beginning, ate everything that I did, and made sure that she didn't "Cheat" in front of me. It made it so much easier and I never felt alone.
Yes sir she’s my rock. Wouldn’t think about doing it any other way.