Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-12-2015, 06:36 PM   #51

Make soups and freeze them as ice blocks. When defrosted, serve with bread and salad. Corn chowder and chili are two favorites.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 01:35 PM   #52

Any new ideas out there?

I'm going on a trip this weekend, and I find myself in the same old rut again. Proteins are not the problem (steaks and sausage links for this weekend's 2 dinners), I need some good low-carb sides. Doc's got me on South Beach, so no breads, potatoes, starches ...

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 01:43 PM   #53
Site Team

We ate at a whole food markets a couple of weeks ago and they had the strangest dish I ever saw. It was Cabbage and Sweet potatoes.

I tried it and a few days later I made my own version.
half a head of cabbage, chopped. Saute with a little oil /butter until almost tender, then add a couple of medium sliced sweet potatoes to the pan. ( I cook them for 3-4 minutes in the MW, then peel and slice). I also added a half of a chopped apple. Cover and let simmer until the cabbage finishes cooking . Just a few more minutes.

It is a new side for us.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 02:49 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Any new ideas out there?

I'm going on a trip this weekend, and I find myself in the same old rut again. Proteins are not the problem (steaks and sausage links for this weekend's 2 dinners), I need some good low-carb sides. Doc's got me on South Beach, so no breads, potatoes, starches ...
Hey Bob, I've been eating a similar diet for the last 4 months. Down by about 50 pounds so far, and feeling a lot better. I cut out all processed foods and anything made with grains. No potatoes, pasta, sugar, syrup, bread, breaded fried foods, or corn. Very few, if any beans or peas. Green beans OK, but I said goodbye to my pintos. Olive oil is my go-to oil for everything.

I don't worry about the fat intake, and enjoy butter. Cheese, though is a trigger food of mine so I have to stay away from it. In fact, last night, I thawed out a hunk of cheddar and ate it all- 1 freakin' pound! Tasted good, but I'll probably be bound up for couple of days.

For carbs, I get them from vegetables and some fruit. My staples for carbs include things like tomatoes, broccoli, cabbage, greens, berries, turnips, brussels sprouts, eggplant, peppers- all are low in carbs but high in nutrients. Good veggies with higher carbs, but great nutrition are things like beets and carrots.

I try to keep my total carb intake around 100 grams a day, which isn't to hard to do, because you can eat a lot of the above veggies before hitting that amount.

If I go hiking or do some other strenuous activity (haha) I'll eat a sweet potato (high in nutrients) or an apple.

Nuts are high in fat, have some protein and very few carbs. Great nutrition.

I've been keeping track of my food/calorie/nutrient intake on a website called FitDay.com. Works well, and besides entering your food, you can enter activities you do, which ups your allowed calories for the day. There's a hill I hike up a couple times a week, and it burns off over 400 calories every time I do it. I'm able to eat more, and know how much more to eat, which is good. Otherwise, it might be easy to pig out the next day.

On a side note, I decided to check my food scales for calibration. They were off quite a bit- 16 ounces shown on the scale was actually only 12 ounces, so I've been shortchanging myself. I was able to disassemble the scales and adjust the spring tension so that now, a cup of water weighs 8 ounces, and a pint 16 ounces.

Hope this gives you some ideas, Bob.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 04:48 PM   #55

Costco's "Sweet Kale Vegetable Salad" kit is an easy side we take camping, and stores great - enough for two meals.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:49 PM   #56

I have decided to use my old smaller crock pot in the trailer this winter. We can do our thing all day and when we return dinner is ready! Of course this is only good with hook ups

2015 Jay Flight 24 FBS

pervinpatty is offline   Reply With Quote