Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-22-2014, 03:36 PM   #1

Lightbulb Need your expert advise on outdoor stoves...

Although our camper has a nice 3-burner stove and a microwave and we have a small charcoal grill, I still want to buy a camp stove to cook outdoors. I want one that will be able to connect to the available propane connection that will let it draw on the propane tanks on board the camper. Do any of you have any recommendations? I'm pretty sure Coleman has something but I don't know which model(s) it would be and there may be other options I don't know about. Any recommendations?

Yes, I know, I should be satisfied with what I already have but.... it's all your fault anyhow, reading about all you guys cooking outside has made me realize how much more fun that'd be, plus saving the cooking odors from inside the 5er.
Witt74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 03:41 PM   #2

Go in to your local camping world and they will have enough possibilities to overwhelm you. Just know what kind of fittings you need and how much you want to spend.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 04:04 PM   #3

That's my problem, Joe. --the overwhelm part. I was hoping to get some "real life" experience from some of the folks on this forum.

Pat (Mrs. Witt74)
Old 09-22-2014, 04:12 PM   #4

Hi Pat.

Here is my take on it for what it's worth.. I think the real test is how and what do you cook? Most of our "gas" cooking is in the form of heating water, pans, etc... Any meats or grilling is either done on the campfire or we have a small charcoal grill we use. We just have a typical 2 burner coleman for outdoor cooking. If you plan on cooking burgers or steaks on a gas grill then you might look at one of the larger ones that have a grilling grate on them.. Things like that..

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 04:43 PM   #5

If you are adamant about using the LP quick connect on your trailer that narrows the field quite a bit. The LP quick connect is after the regulator so therefore you need either a grill/stove that can use a regulated LP source or one that can have the regulator removed.

The only options I know that can connect with the LP quick connect without modification are the RVQ and Sidekick.

If you are willing to attempt the modification and have a propane shop build you a custom quick connect hose then you can add Weber Q series and Coleman Roadtrips.

All of these are primarily grills, but both the Weber and Coleman have lots of accessories available to convert to a griddle and/or burner for cooking in pots.

Personally I gave up on the idea of using the LP quick connect. I have a Weber Q200 (which is now the Q2200) and have been very pleased with its performance. I also have the weber LP hose to use 20#/30# bottles but mostly I just use it with 1# bottles. They might be more expensive, but often you can find them on sale and I just stock up with that happens. I already have to carry those 1# bottles for a couple lantern and table top LP heater, so it’s not a big deal for me to just have a couple more for the grill.

By the way on my weber Q200 w/ 1# tanks it provides pretty decent cooking time. Recently I grilled 3 meals without running out of LP. 2 short grills (burgers/dogs & then sausages) then a longer grill cooking 2 tri-tips. I would think that a 1# bottle will provide ~90min cooking time and med/med-high heat.

Best of luck
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:17 PM   #6

I use a Camp Chef brand stove. I purchased the quick disconnect connectors from my dealer and had the local propane shop make up a couple of hoses for me. One is only 6' long for setting up close to the RV and the other is 30' long so I can have the stove out by the CG picnic table if I choose to do so. I also had a "T" connector made so I can leave my RVQ plugged in along with my camp chef simultaneously.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/al...pictureid=3071

2007 Jayco Jay Flight 26BHS
2016 GMC Duramax Sierra 3500 HD Denali
4 Crown CR-235 6-volt batteries - 470 AH bank
3000 watt Magnum Energy MSH-3012 Tri Metric 2025
Cummins generator
Winegard Traveler DirecTV slimline HD SK-3005
Big Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:20 PM   #7

X2 on the Camp Chef. It hooks up easily to the trailer's low pressure propane, and boy can it pump out the BTUs! Mine is the 3 burner and we're on our 8th season with it. Keep in mind they're not the smallest stoves, ours fits nicely in our rear garage, but YMMV.
Highly recommended!
Old 09-22-2014, 07:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post

Personally I gave up on the idea of using the LP quick connect. I have a Weber Q200 (which is now the Q2200) and have been very pleased with its performance. I also have the weber LP hose to use 20#/30# bottles but mostly I just use it with 1# bottles. They might be more expensive, but often you can find them on sale and I just stock up with that happens. I already have to carry those 1# bottles for a couple lantern and table top LP heater, so it’s not a big deal for me to just have a couple more for the grill.

By the way on my weber Q200 w/ 1# tanks it provides pretty decent cooking time. Recently I grilled 3 meals without running out of LP. 2 short grills (burgers/dogs & then sausages) then a longer grill cooking 2 tri-tips. I would think that a 1# bottle will provide ~90min cooking time and med/med-high heat.

Best of luck

+1 to all of this. I got the Q100 just before Weber changed pricing, ahem, I mean launched the new improved model... Anyway, I'm still on my first 1lb cylinder, but I've only done sausages, dogs & burgers.

For an outside stove, I have a Coleman single burner that runs off the same cylinders. Also have a Coleman lantern that uses 'em too. But I do carry at least one hose that I can run to any of those appliances directly to the main tanks. But really other than the meat, we cook inside, not to say that won't change, but that's the way we do it for now...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:51 PM   #9

I have one of these. Easy to get a connection off www to go to your RV.
$99
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/portabl...navAction=push
Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 05:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by phemens View Post
X2 on the Camp Chef. It hooks up easily to the trailer's low pressure propane, and boy can it pump out the BTUs! Mine is the 3 burner and we're on our 8th season with it. Keep in mind they're not the smallest stoves, ours fits nicely in our rear garage, but YMMV.
Highly recommended!
x2. Had a Coleman roadtrip and the Camp chef is byfar a better unit IMHO. BTU's are 3X and when temps dip down and the wind picks up you can still cook on the Camp Chef.

Space is one obstacle for the 3 burner, but a 2 burner unit will be about the same as the Coleman.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 06:05 AM   #11

well I can tell you I didn't order one on our camper but the one we got came with it standard ... I guess year change from option to standard? I do use it for cooking breakfast, baking potatoes while the steaks cook on the charcoal grill, warming up beans or something else in a pot for dinner so I like it for those things. Baking potatoes is nice so we don't heat up the inside of the camper with oven but they can be done on the fire too so its a personal call
Paintinfool3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:29 AM   #12

I have a camp stove and use a little 10lb bottle that fits just inside the storage area at the front.
That is good enough.
annie oakly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintinfool3 View Post
well I can tell you I didn't order one on our camper but the one we got came with it standard ... I guess year change from option to standard? I do use it for cooking breakfast, baking potatoes while the steaks cook on the charcoal grill, warming up beans or something else in a pot for dinner so I like it for those things. Baking potatoes is nice so we don't heat up the inside of the camper with oven but they can be done on the fire too so its a personal call
Ours has the rack for a grill/stove and the gas outlet but didn't come with one, I just wanted to make use of the gas connection for those things I don't want to cook on the grill.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:42 AM   #14

I have a new side kick style grill that came with my jayco I would make you a good deal on if you're interested. It's new in the box and works off the camper propane system. Pm me if you are.
Smitty75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:17 AM   #15

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-Mounted-B...0f9988&vxp=mtr

This is what the dlr charges lots more for. For less than $150 you can get a stainless, twin burner.
Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:39 AM   #16

I have a two burner camp chef stove and love it. It is very versatile, stores easily in a canvas bag in my exterior storage compartment and hooks to the TT low pressure propane system so no need to worry about additional fuel. I also have the cast iron skillet (highly recommended) so you can use one burner as a griddle while using the other burner for pots/pans etc. Makes a kick-a$$ bacon and egg breakfast! This past year we also make pork fried rice, fajitas, steak & cheese subs, plus burgers and dogs and all the other standard camp fare.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:14 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witt74 View Post
Although our camper has a nice 3-burner stove and a microwave and we have a small charcoal grill, I still want to buy a camp stove to cook outdoors. I want one that will be able to connect to the available propane connection that will let it draw on the propane tanks on board the camper. Do any of you have any recommendations? I'm pretty sure Coleman has something but I don't know which model(s) it would be and there may be other options I don't know about. Any recommendations?

Yes, I know, I should be satisfied with what I already have but.... it's all your fault anyhow, reading about all you guys cooking outside has made me realize how much more fun that'd be, plus saving the cooking odors from inside the 5er.
I have been doing this for the past few years for a couple reasons.
1. keep the cooking odor and spatter out of the TT
2. not have to buy the 1 lb cylinders
I did change over the propane regulator to a change over style to be able to isolate the tanks.
Be aware if your trailer is plumbed for quick disconnect system, your propane is already regulated down to 11.5" WC and for instance a Weber Q series or Coleman stove will perform differently than connected directly to one of your 30lb cyls. It doesn't like to be overregulated. Who does!
The Coleman stoves can be had with piezo ign and it would've been handy, but pricy. Biggest complaint about the coleman is it is very touchy to regulate the flame down enough to keep from incinerating things. I've already had to replace the pop rivets on the lid. Get a cheapo table or two from Walmart to cook on, carry 3 wedges, and a level of some kind to level out the table unless you want to chase your eggs and pancakes around the griddle. The program works for us
Jeff61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:51 AM   #18

Forgot to mention that I use a small electric griddle for most breakfasts. It's the PERFECT size for 2 or 3 people, and I can use it wherever I want because I have an extension cord for my awning lights. ALL of the cooking appliances I use are ultra portable and have at least one failover safety.

Funny story about that griddle, I actually "borrowed" it from the outlaws. A while later, they said we could keep it because they were getting a new one. A few years later they asked for it back so they could put it in their MH, I said "No way, it's going in my TT!" Then I got a big one for Christmas 2 years ago to use at home. We use them both so much I'm surprised they haven't worn out.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff61 View Post
I have been doing this for the past few years for a couple reasons.
1. keep the cooking odor and spatter out of the TT
2. not have to buy the 1 lb cylinders
I did change over the propane regulator to a change over style to be able to isolate the tanks.
Be aware if your trailer is plumbed for quick disconnect system, your propane is already regulated down to 11.5" WC and for instance a Weber Q series or Coleman stove will perform differently than connected directly to one of your 30lb cyls. It doesn't like to be overregulated. Who does!
The Coleman stoves can be had with piezo ign and it would've been handy, but pricy. Biggest complaint about the coleman is it is very touchy to regulate the flame down enough to keep from incinerating things. I've already had to replace the pop rivets on the lid. Get a cheapo table or two from Walmart to cook on, carry 3 wedges, and a level of some kind to level out the table unless you want to chase your eggs and pancakes around the griddle. The program works for us
Is there any specific Coleman stove you recommend, Jeff61?

Charlie & Lizzie the Mini Dachshunds
2008 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 RLS
2015 F350 Lariet Crew Cab Long Bed 6.7 Diesel B&W Companion Hitch
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:51 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Forgot to mention that I use a small electric griddle for most breakfasts. It's the PERFECT size for 2 or 3 people, and I can use it wherever I want because I have an extension cord for my awning lights. ALL of the cooking appliances I use are ultra portable and have at least one failover safety.

Funny story about that griddle, I actually "borrowed" it from the outlaws. A while later, they said we could keep it because they were getting a new one. A few years later they asked for it back so they could put it in their MH, I said "No way, it's going in my TT!" Then I got a big one for Christmas 2 years ago to use at home. We use them both so much I'm surprised they haven't worn out.
I like that electric griddle idea, Camper_bob, I'll have to keep an eye out for one.

Charlie & Lizzie the Mini Dachshunds
2008 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 RLS
2015 F350 Lariet Crew Cab Long Bed 6.7 Diesel B&W Companion Hitch
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.

Tags
cooking, stove