Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-07-2014, 07:57 PM   #1

New cast iron cookware addition!

Picked up one of the Rome cast iron Hot Dog & Brat Cookers today! Can't wait to try it out. Maybe tomorrow I'll dig the gas grill out from under the snowbank and season it up.

Post your reviews and stories.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:25 AM   #2

Here is my review.

The cooker works great for hot dogs including the bun length jumbos. I spooned some minced onions into the cavity alongside the dog and they turned out great. Johnsonville brats have too much girth and get pinched between the cavities when you close it. Eckrich "brats" or equivalent are not much larger than typical hot dogs and work well in the cooker. The cooker sears the casing and gives it a nice deep red patina to the weenie without carbonization. You could burn a hot dog in the thing but if you want a burnt one just use a fork.

I'll stick with a fork for the big Johnsonvilles.

Clean up was easy. Wiped it out with a paper towel and used the blistering hot water from the outside shower on the 23B to rinse it off. Towel dry and it's ready for next time. Of course I seasoned the cooker just like any other cast iron cookware prior to initial use.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:41 PM   #3

Thanks for your reviews. Now I'm hungry!
lovinglife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:46 AM   #4

One of our staples for camping is and always has been hot dogs. We picked up a similar cooker and found a great idea which includes adding sauerkraut and beer which in turns results in a poached/boiled hotdog full of flavour.

Great review though!