Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-27-2022, 01:40 PM   #21

Both the wife and I grew up in families that were involved in food service...and both of us are the result of grandparents who emigrated from Italy....we tend to travel on our stomach. Back in my bachelor days, I got my hands on three cookbooks put out by Marlboro that were all in on campfire and chuck-wagon eats from back when the cigarette companies gave stuff away for their certificates and such. Just buy their butt's and get the certificates. I had a lot of friends who still smoked so access to certificates wasn't a problem then.

Highly recommended if you can get your hands on either for not much money. I just checked and they're still out there both on Amazon and Ebay. If you check...Towns, Trails.... or Morning Fires.... either one is an excellent one to have.

Here's one of my favorite recipes from Towns, Trails: Walking Beef Sandwich. For one sandwich.... 1 6 to 8 inch sandwich roll (sausage, hoagie, etc.). 1/4 Cup cooked Pinto beans drained. 2 to 4 oz. cooked BarBQ beef, sliced. 2 slices onion. Xtra BBQ sauce. Cut open roll leaving one edge intact. Pull out some soft part and make a shallow channel in bottom half. Mash the beans and spread in channel. Layer on sliced beef and onion and spoon over BBQ sauce. Close up and wrap tight in wax or parchment paper folding in ends. Cut in half through paper and sandwich.

Now, the BBQ beef is a 4-5 lb. blade or rump that I do in the smoker. I then slice it, vac pac in portions that work for us and freeze. We just haul what we want with us along with cans of beans that we like anyway. Heat in the 'wave. Both are also recipes in the book. Good N Fast.

Happy trails.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 01:50 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckinfuss View Post
Both the wife and I grew up in families that were involved in food service...and both of us are the result of grandparents who emigrated from Italy....we tend to travel on our stomach. Back in my bachelor days, I got my hands on three cookbooks put out by Marlboro that were all in on campfire and chuck-wagon eats from back when the cigarette companies gave stuff away for their certificates and such. Just buy their butt's and get the certificates. I had a lot of friends who still smoked so access to certificates wasn't a problem then.

Highly recommended if you can get your hands on either for not much money. I just checked and they're still out there both on Amazon and Ebay. If you check...Towns, Trails.... or Morning Fires.... either one is an excellent one to have.

Here's one of my favorite recipes from Towns, Trails: Walking Beef Sandwich. For one sandwich.... 1 6 to 8 inch sandwich roll (sausage, hoagie, etc.). 1/4 Cup cooked Pinto beans drained. 2 to 4 oz. cooked BarBQ beef, sliced. 2 slices onion. Xtra BBQ sauce. Cut open roll leaving one edge intact. Pull out some soft part and make a shallow channel in bottom half. Mash the beans and spread in channel. Layer on sliced beef and onion and spoon over BBQ sauce. Close up and wrap tight in wax or parchment paper folding in ends. Cut in half through paper and sandwich.

Now, the BBQ beef is a 4-5 lb. blade or rump that I do in the smoker. I then slice it, vac pac in portions that work for us and freeze. We just haul what we want with us along with cans of beans that we like anyway. Heat in the 'wave. Both are also recipes in the book. Good N Fast.

Happy trails.

I’m going to be 300+lbs. by time this thread ends!! What terrific recipes to try out this coming season. Beef, beans, onions and BBQ sauce😻what could possibly be bad?
Thank you fuss for checking in.
frank d.
Old 02-27-2022, 02:00 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieSaysRelax View Post
Hmmm…I bet osso buco is delicious over a good egg noodle! OK, saved to file.[emoji23]

BTW-when are those characters that own What-A-Burger, down around your way(DFW), going to come to the east coast? I petitioned them for years to let me

set up a franchising devision for them. They would be huge in the NY-NJ market. But they weren’t having any! I tried. Bahahaha[emoji81]
I'm in Ga N.W. of Atlanta an one is coming somewhere close to me I belejve.
Use the extra wide egg noodles
Old 02-27-2022, 02:03 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
I'm in Ga N.W. of Atlanta an one is coming somewhere close to me I belejve.
Use the extra wide egg noodles
Sorry WW, I saw Dallas under your avatar…
Maybe when we hit LaGrange?
Old 02-27-2022, 04:37 PM   #25

Quote:
Sorry WW, I saw Dallas under your avatar…

Maybe when we hit LaGrange?
Maybe.

We go through Lagrange on way to R Schaefer Heard Campground on West Point Lake. Not always fun to maneuver a 30ft camper through there by the college but it's the shortest route
Old 02-27-2022, 05:15 PM   #26

Quote:
Maybe.

We go through Lagrange on way to R Schaefer Heard Campground on West Point Lake. Not always fun to maneuver a 30ft camper through there by the college but it's the shortest route
Eons ago, when I was a young buck, I would visit the mill towns near and around LaGrange (Shaw Industries if memory serves me). First time I ever had grits! I never had them that good again.
Old 02-27-2022, 07:12 PM   #27

Quote:
Eons ago, when I was a young buck, I would visit the mill towns near and around LaGrange (Shaw Industries if memory serves me). First time I ever had grits! I never had them that good again.
Not much art to grits. Some salt, pepper and butter. I don't put cheese in it DW doesn't like it too much. Jalapenos make em pop.
Shaw still has a large foot print there along with a Kia plant.
Old 03-01-2022, 07:16 AM   #28

Quote:
Not much art to grits. Some salt, pepper and butter. I don't put cheese in it DW doesn't like it too much. Jalapenos make em pop.
Shaw still has a large foot print there along with a Kia plant.
Hey, don't rain on my memory… 45 years ago a kid from Brooklyn gets to eat grits for the very first time in a beautiful hollar down south. It was one of those experiences you keep and remember forever.😹❤️😂
Old 03-01-2022, 08:06 AM   #29

Sausage and gravy over biscuits. My mother always made homemade biscuits and so do I. Don't forget a dash of Worcestershire sauce and don't be afraid to pepper it. Some hash browns with peppers and onions. For dinner, chicken and dumplings in the CrockPot.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 09:12 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
Sausage and gravy over biscuits. My mother always made homemade biscuits and so do I. Don't forget a dash of Worcestershire sauce and don't be afraid to pepper it. Some hash browns with peppers and onions. For dinner, chicken and dumplings in the CrockPot.
Mmmmm…..your mom taught you the good stuff! Just wonderful. Nothing as good as comfort food from our youth.
Old 03-05-2022, 01:02 PM   #31

Quote:
I have to say that my family was always very easy to cook for. They were the total opposite of picky eaters. That being said, when we RV I usually prepare really basic, Americana style road meals.
Breakfast would be sausage/bacon/egg on a hard roll or plate. Or yogurt with berries.
Lunch could be anything from a hearty soup/grilled cheese sandwiches to pasta any way you like.
Dinner is burgers or hotdogs with grilled onoins, or a nice steak and baked potato to celebrate the trip. Except when we do the Maine run, then its lobsters any time, day and night!
We seem to eat better out camping than we do at home. Our meals are always cooked over a wood fire, my husband, an Eagle Scout, and me, a first class Girl Scout, was equal to Eagle Scout back in the 1960’s, we prefer that method even though we carry a propane stove, a propane open pit bbq and of course the motorhome stove and oven. We always make sure we have plenty of firewood for dinners. We make Cornish game hens, great on the fire, with baked potatoes, or chestnut stuffing, then filet mignon and baked potatoes, homemade rolls, with both, chicken breasts,and corn on the cob. Then s’mores or popcorn for a snack after dinner. Makes camping great. Oh, don’t forget the wine with dinner..😀😀😀😀🤪. Have fun and enjoy the eats….
Retired mountain folk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 01:42 PM   #32

We keep it simple. A favorite breakfast is a can of roast beef hash and a couple scrambled eggs, but we have other simple breakfasts as well. Biscuits and premade sausage gravy is the best! Lunch is usually a sandwich. Dinner is often potatoes and onions or a vegetable pack wrapped in foil and placed in embers for 30 minutes a side. English muffin, marinara, pepperoni and mozzarella in a pie iron is delicious. Costco hot dogs over the fire are tasty, but unfortunately not too healthy. Things like hamburger, sausage, and bacon we precook at home and heat it up.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 05:05 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired mountain folk View Post
We seem to eat better out camping than we do at home. Our meals are always cooked over a wood fire, my husband, an Eagle Scout, and me, a first class Girl Scout, was equal to Eagle Scout back in the 1960’s, we prefer that method even though we carry a propane stove, a propane open pit bbq and of course the motorhome stove and oven. We always make sure we have plenty of firewood for dinners. We make Cornish game hens, great on the fire, with baked potatoes, or chestnut stuffing, then filet mignon and baked potatoes, homemade rolls, with both, chicken breasts,and corn on the cob. Then s’mores or popcorn for a snack after dinner. Makes camping great. Oh, don’t forget the wine with dinner..😀😀😀😀🤪. Have fun and enjoy the eats….
Yeah baby!!!! I’d do the kitchen prep at your campsite any time. Thats good grub and good eatin’ right there. Bottle of red, bottle of white. What ever kind of mood we’re in tonight…Lets eat!
Old 03-05-2022, 05:08 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollander Mutthaulers View Post
We keep it simple. A favorite breakfast is a can of roast beef hash and a couple scrambled eggs, but we have other simple breakfasts as well. Biscuits and premade sausage gravy is the best! Lunch is usually a sandwich. Dinner is often potatoes and onions or a vegetable pack wrapped in foil and placed in embers for 30 minutes a side. English muffin, marinara, pepperoni and mozzarella in a pie iron is delicious. Costco hot dogs over the fire are tasty, but unfortunately not too healthy. Things like hamburger, sausage, and bacon we precook at home and heat it up.
Anyone that writes biscuits and sausage gravy, I’m in hook, line and sinker! Bon Apatite
Old 03-06-2022, 08:18 PM   #35

Where do we meet at?

I'm going with Frankie!
Old 03-07-2022, 11:25 AM   #36

Click image for larger version

Name:	271EEAA6-1EF8-430C-879A-3E2FA5B24E1D.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	79520

I did a smoker test run yesterday(it was 70degrees in NJ)of this beautiful pork shoulder(some call it pork butt or picnic ham depending where you’re from). I was in the mood for Spanish cuisine and Cubano sandwiches(hard roll, Swiss cheese, kosher pickle slices, a good spicy mustard and of course slices of that savoy pork shoulder. I was in hog heaven😹
Old 03-07-2022, 12:10 PM   #37

They all look and sound good!

Our BSA troop has a new recipe, Basically it is a version of Monkey Brains. Not diabetes or heart friendly. There is no real recipe, it's actually fairly decent, for some teenage boys.

It starts with a # 12 Dutch oven
  • 3 cans of exploding cinnamon rolls.
  • Cup or so of sugar, mixed with ground cinnamon
  • 1-2 sticks of butter
  • Lots of pancake syrup
  1. Cut up about a stick butter and place on the bottom of Dutch oven
  2. Pour a LOT of syrup over the butter
  3. Cinnamon rolls are cut into quarters, and coated in cinnamon sugar, randomly placed in Dutch oven
  4. Pour the remaining cinnamon sugar over the rolls
  5. Cut a stick of butter and place on top
  6. Drizzle more syrup on top
  7. Cook over fire 20-30 minutes, rotate every 7-10 minutes
  8. Eat up

First time they made it this way, they did not cut up the cinnamon rolls or added the extra coating of cinnamon sugar. They just had two layers. It was good, very moist, but really looked like breakfast and not desert.

Name:	20220212_184526.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	79523

Name:	20220212_193158.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	79524

This batch was made will winter camping over Valentines weekend. I think it was about -5 degrees at desert time.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote