Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Life > Camp Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2017, 08:40 AM   #1

Real RV range versus convection microwave

My Seneca came with the standard convection microwave versus a range with an oven. Despite many attempts, few of our baked dishes turned out as nice as we would like. So last year I swapped the gas cooktop for an Atwood 21" range. Lost one storage drawer, but the trade-off is well worth it. Plus it is so nice to have the ability to have the main course in the oven and still be able to microwave a side dish and have it all completed simultaneously.

Many have issues with their ovens cooking unevenly, we seem to have figured out ours. I have four unglazed ceramic tiles laying in the bottom above the burner. They even out the heat significantly. I remove them for travel and wrap them up to protect them. We also pre-heat for at least 15 minutes before baking. We also use air bake cookie sheets, I even use one upside down on the rack when baking cakes and muffins, it keeps the bottom from burning. I did use an electronic oven thermometer and found out my dial setting is pretty close. And with the tiles in there it only swings about 15 degrees as the burner cycles on and off. Was about 40 degrees without the tiles!

Camping here in New Hampshire, nothing better than hot blueberry muffins with the grandsons for breakfast. Chicken Cordon Bleu for dinner tonight. Love that oven!
Attached Thumbnails
20161020_143053.jpg   20170710_205807.jpg   20170711_091856.jpg  
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:55 AM   #2

We took our 08 to the factory years ago and did just the opposite, took out the oven and added a drawer. We never used the oven except for storage.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:58 PM   #3

We may be following with the oven install in the near future.
I miss my gas oven.

Some of my problems with the conv/micro oven are due to operator error (and stupid controls, nothing like the GE conv/micro we use at home)... I needed to add time to the cookies baking, and ended up cooking them on microwave hi for 5 minutes instead of additional convection baking... we were lucky not to burn the place down.
crumgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 05:31 PM   #4

That's a nice conversion you did and at least yours will get plenty of use. The only thing I would use mine for is to stick my head in there, that's why I removed it. Have a muffin for me they sure look good!
Tunce
Old 07-12-2017, 08:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
That's a nice conversion you did and at least yours will get plenty of use. The only thing I would use mine for is to stick my head in there, that's why I removed it. Have a muffin for me they sure look good!
Tunce
They sure were. Hungry grandsons made quick work of them!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:23 PM   #6

Ours came with a wood stove, which was optional. All BS aside, I won't buy one without an oven. We figured out how to make them cook good and even a LONG time ago. Biscuits, muffins, whatever, I want my gas oven / stove.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote