Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-05-2018, 07:08 PM   #1

RV Mounted Gas Grill

My wife and I purchased our 2017 X23B in the fall, and are looking into new items that we'd like to add to the TT. Our old Salem didn't have the rail for mounting a gas grill to the exterior, so we never thought about it as an option. Just wondering now, are these safe to have mounted so close to the wall? Seems like the wall of the trailer would get hot. Especially being fiberglass. Am I over thinking this, and should I not be concerned about it?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2019 Whitehawk 28RL
2018 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/3.55

Dennis, Cindy, Philip, and Sarah
Ohiofinlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:28 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiofinlander View Post
My wife and I purchased our 2017 X23B in the fall, and are looking into new items that we'd like to add to the TT. Our old Salem didn't have the rail for mounting a gas grill to the exterior, so we never thought about it as an option. Just wondering now, are these safe to have mounted so close to the wall? Seems like the wall of the trailer would get hot. Especially being fiberglass. Am I over thinking this, and should I not be concerned about it?

I’ve 2017 Jayfeather Hybrid trailer and bought the Camco Olympian 5500 Stainless Steel Portable Grill. Used for one full season without an issue. Grilled burgers, sausage, cooked pancakes, made toast, and reheated pizza on it. Heats up in 2-3 minutes to 700 ^F and it didn’t leave a mark on the camper. Also, growing up we had Jayco popup with wall mount cook top. Used it every day camping to cook and boil large pots of water with no issues and had no sign of heat transfer. The setup is fast easy and it’s always awesome cooking outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
prhanchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:29 PM   #3

We have the mount for the grill. However we travel with a Coleman Roadtrip grill (on our second one after 11 years) and a Weber smokey joe. Many years ago, a friend had a grill near the back wall of her condo (not up against) and it melted the vinyl siding. That comes into my mind when I see the mount. However, it doesn't seem Jayco would have these if they are not safe. We like the option of moving the grill around. It will be interesting to see if anyone has had an issue.

"Let the Reel Cool Times Roll !!!!!
ReelCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:30 PM   #4

The RVQ style has a pretty wide air gap between the grill box and the RV wall. I am sure there are other brands and types, but I think anything with a decent air gap is probably fine. I never did pull out my temperature gun and check how hot the wall got, probably should have. Maybe I will next season.
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:32 PM   #5

Just as I thought, overthinking it. Thanks all!

2019 Whitehawk 28RL

Old 01-05-2018, 08:53 PM   #6

We have used the outside wall mt grill since 1986 for all cooked meals .There has always been at least a foot of air between the grill and tt. No stains, not even warm to the touch. Larry
Old 01-05-2018, 08:55 PM   #7

Looks like I'm ready to make a purchase of a gas grill.

2019 Whitehawk 28RL

Old 01-05-2018, 09:52 PM   #8

I took one look at that cheap grill and was also worried about the location. It never came out of the box, sold it on Ebay.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:54 PM   #9

I bought the RVQ from my Jayco dealer in 2002 for my Qwest popup and still have it and use it often with my X17z hybrid. Never had a problem with the canvas or fiberglass on either camper and I cook out more than in. I use a small aluminum griddle to cook bacon, eggs and pancakes and also cook burgers, steaks, etc with no issues whatsoever. It was a little pricey for a small grill but I clean it up after each trip and it has held up well and would recommend it.
jimovernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimovernon View Post
I bought the RVQ from my Jayco dealer in 2002 for my Qwest popup and still have it and use it often with my X17z hybrid. Never had a problem with the canvas or fiberglass on either camper and I cook out more than in. I use a small aluminum griddle to cook bacon, eggs and pancakes and also cook burgers, steaks, etc with no issues whatsoever. It was a little pricey for a small grill but I clean it up after each trip and it has held up well and would recommend it.
Thanks

2019 Whitehawk 28RL

Old 01-05-2018, 09:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
I took one look at that cheap grill and was also worried about the location. It never came out of the box, sold it on Ebay.
Thanks for your input.

2019 Whitehawk 28RL

Old 01-15-2018, 05:07 PM   #12

I look at it this way, if a company discovered that something was not functioning properly they probably would have discontinued the feature or modified it. Jayco 2018 models still have wall mounted grill brackets,,,must be ok.
sbarlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 05:58 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarlag View Post
I look at it this way, if a company discovered that something was not functioning properly they probably would have discontinued the feature or modified it. Jayco 2018 models still have wall mounted grill brackets,,,must be ok.
Be sure to give us your opinion after using it a short while.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 06:05 PM   #14

I converted the rv mount to a removable shelf. I use my weber Q with a 10ft lp quick connect hose to the motorhome. I'm pretty sure I tossed the dealer supplied grill. I know people use them all day long with no problems. I just don't need to grill that close to the motorhome.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiofinlander View Post

17 years ago we bought a PUP that had a propane quick connect inside and outside for a 3 burner cooktop. At the time, I couldn't picture cooking outside. Turns out, we cooked inside once in the last 17 years. I guess if it's okay to cook right next to the tent, it's okay to cook next to a hard sided TT.

Last week we traded the PUP for an X23B. It has the rail on the side, but nothing to attach to it. I've already purchased the adapter kit to turn my "dual fuel" Coleman stove into a propane stove. The Weber Q is next. Now just have to figure out how to attach them to the side of the trailer.

Can anybody recommend a good shelf/table for the rail on the side of the TT?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2018, 12:52 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDoer View Post

Can anybody recommend a good shelf/table for the rail on the side of the TT?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
You mean a shelf like this one? It's not mine but it looks like something you could make easy enough. I have the removable bracket that holds the grill but I've never gotten around to adding a shelf to it.
Attached Thumbnails
image.png  
Old 07-08-2018, 03:36 PM   #17

My wife and I just purchased a brand new X23B and it has the rail for mounting the grill and it came with the gas hose, but no grill. I have a WeberQ I take with us but I'd really like to get a carry out cook top 2 or 3 burner stove I can hang on that rail and hook into the gas connection that is right there. Anyone have any suggestions?
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 03:43 PM   #18

My concern with side-mounted grills is, not so much the heat, but cooking grease and smells on the side of the TT and the underside of the awning.

I could see this being a significant problem if you're in bear country...

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 03:56 PM   #19

I'm not looking for the grill, I'm looking for the stove cook top I hang on that rail like we did with our old pop up. The only time we ever cooked indoors was during bad weather. With the new X23B, we have all the modern conveniences of home but would still prefer to prepare most meals outdoors when camping.
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 04:05 PM   #20

I wanted the same thing, but haven't found one. Now thinking about a freestanding three burner cooktop that connects to the rv propane quick connect; looking at Camp Chef options.

Really wish I had kept the stove when I sold the pop up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit12 View Post
I'm not looking for the grill, I'm looking for the stove cook top I hang on that rail like we did with our old pop up. The only time we ever cooked indoors was during bad weather. With the new X23B, we have all the modern conveniences of home but would still prefer to prepare most meals outdoors when camping.