Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-15-2017, 01:28 PM   #1

shrimp boil foil packs

I'm a big fan of foil packs (aka hobo packs) for camp cooking. they are easy to pre-prep, the kids love them, and cleanup is easy.

Here is the last one I tried and they came out fantastic!

Cajun shrimp boil in a packet

1lb shrimp - pealed and devained. more if you like a lot of shrimp. also if you really want to kick up the flavor get shrimp with shell still on.

4 ears of corn - remove husks/silk and cut each in half then cut in half length wise. cutting them length wise makes them thinner so you don't have fat foil packs and they cook better.

1lb andouille sausage. mild or spicy or both! cut them on the bias about 1/2" thick

4 large cloves of garlic minced

2 lbs of read potatoes. cut in quarters

5 tablespoons of old bay seasoning. you can't put to much here. the more the better.

6 table spoons of butter melted

a couple of lemons

salt pepper to tast

pre cook the corn and potatoes in boiling water for about 10-12 minutes. set them aside when done.

ok now put everything together in a bowl. shrimp, sausage, corn, potatoes, seasonings, butter and a squeeze of lemon. mix this and begin making your packets. i use heavy duty foil paper about 12"x12". this should make at least 8 servings. If you want double up the foil so you don't accidentally poke a hole in them while cooking.

I usually put them on a grill over the fire. About 10min each side. You can also put them directly on the coals just be careful as they will burn quickly. I think about 6-7 min on each side if directly on coals.

open them up and squeeze some more lemon on them and have at it!!!!
Old 11-15-2017, 02:56 PM   #2

Love Foil Packets

Click image for larger version

Name:	D076C4DB-2093-45CE-8D5A-4AC8E6093431.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	35877
2003 Jayco Kiwi 23B (sold)
1991 Jayco Cardinal SD 14 foot pop up. (Sold)

2014 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab LT Z71 5.3L 4WD
stevenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenl View Post
Looks great! Ill be doing a pot roast packet next.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 12-09-2017, 08:59 PM   #4

looks good
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:10 AM   #5

I use ah old electric skillet and add the shrimp with water. The skillet boils the water quickly and I set it up outside. Forgot to mention that DW doesn't eat anything that comes out of water and hates the smell. Boil in the skillet until the shrimp [still in the shells] turns bright pink and EAT!

Clean up is fast and easy, just swap out the old water and add new and reboil. Then throw out the water and use a towel to wipe off and put the skillet back in the tote for the next time.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:25 PM   #6

Did this exact recipe for the first time last weekend. My new favorite camping meal. I cooked it way longer (maybe a total of 1/2 hour) you really can’t overcook even if you try. Recipe was spot on. Thanks.
2018 Polaris Sportsman 570
Doughydman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughydman View Post
Did this exact recipe for the first time last weekend. My new favorite camping meal. I cooked it way longer (maybe a total of 1/2 hour) you really can’t overcook even if you try. Recipe was spot on. Thanks.
woohoo! good to hear! i have a few more packets that i've been trying out. i'll see about posting the recipes soon.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:53 PM   #8
Site Team

Down in South Carolina that is called Frogmore Stew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toklas View Post
I'm a big fan of foil packs (aka hobo packs) for camp cooking. they are easy to pre-prep, the kids love them, and cleanup is easy.

Here is the last one I tried and they came out fantastic!

Cajun shrimp boil in a packet

1lb shrimp - pealed and devained. more if you like a lot of shrimp. also if you really want to kick up the flavor get shrimp with shell still on.

4 ears of corn - remove husks/silk and cut each in half then cut in half length wise. cutting them length wise makes them thinner so you don't have fat foil packs and they cook better.

1lb andouille sausage. mild or spicy or both! cut them on the bias about 1/2" thick

4 large cloves of garlic minced

2 lbs of read potatoes. cut in quarters

5 tablespoons of old bay seasoning. you can't put to much here. the more the better.

6 table spoons of butter melted

a couple of lemons

salt pepper to tast

pre cook the corn and potatoes in boiling water for about 10-12 minutes. set them aside when done.

ok now put everything together in a bowl. shrimp, sausage, corn, potatoes, seasonings, butter and a squeeze of lemon. mix this and begin making your packets. i use heavy duty foil paper about 12"x12". this should make at least 8 servings. If you want double up the foil so you don't accidentally poke a hole in them while cooking.

I usually put them on a grill over the fire. About 10min each side. You can also put them directly on the coals just be careful as they will burn quickly. I think about 6-7 min on each side if directly on coals.

open them up and squeeze some more lemon on them and have at it!!!!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote