Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-08-2017, 06:18 PM   #1

Smoker Grill for HOME USE

I had an old propane fueled kettle smoker for years. I finally gave it up because even on low it was too hot; it also lived along Mobile Bay where often the flame could be blown out.

I also will not accept charcoal as I don't want to mess with getting it hot, cooking, cooling and cleanup. Side note, my neighbor once set his garage on fire after cleaning out two day old ash. Again PLEASE, no to the favorites: charcoal - and no Eggs.

That brings me to electrics where there are hundreds to choose from. Every eval site says something different is the best, never a consensus. It would seem to me if 2-3 were superior they'd all agree on which one(s).

So I'm looking for real world use recommendations. My goal is for something large to middle sized with priority going to build quality, sloooow smoke cooking (10 - 16 hours), then ease of use and cleaning. $300 - $600 sounds OK to me.

If I purchase one of y'alls recommended smokers the first person who named it will be invited over for brisquit. BYOB.
Attached Thumbnails
Bradley Smoker.jpg  
Old 02-08-2017, 06:46 PM   #2

My personal favorite doesn't meet your "No Charcoal" requirement so I'll refrain.

However my dad and FIL both have Traegers and they are pretty damn nice. The electric keep the temp constant with no hassle and the pellets provide the necessary smoke and dry air that propane can't.

Traeger smokers aren't cheap, but Costco typically has a very good price on them each spring.

https://m.costco.com/Traeger-Century...XkyBkwmbCnc%3D

Enjoy the search.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 06:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
My personal favorite doesn't meet your "No Charcoal" requirement so I'll refrain.

However my dad and FIL both have Traegers and they are pretty damn nice. The electric keep the temp constant with no hassle and the pellets provide the necessary smoke and dry air that propane can't.

Traeger smokers aren't cheap, but Costco typically has a very good price on them each spring.

https://m.costco.com/Traeger-Century...XkyBkwmbCnc%3D

Enjoy the search.
I have to agree as far as electric goes. But I have old fashioned wood smoker that was made from old water heater. I smoke with "real" fire. But when this smoker dies, I'd be looking into the traeger.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:01 PM   #4

You might want to PM SmokerBill if he doesn't hop on this thread, he has a lot of good opinions on this subject. A lot of us have smokers, I'm on the smokingmeatforums (best forum for this topic imo, google that one if you want some very opinionated, but educated replies.

This is the smoker I use the most..

The problem with most of the electric models is keeping the smoke flowing when the heating element is continuously cycling on and off. That's where the 'cold smoking kit' comes into play... You can load that up with the wood of your choice and it will burn for more than 5 hours before you might want to refill it. By default, the masterbuilts have a fairly limited amount of wood you can add at one time, and it's harder to control the smoke 'output' without some kind of external smoker addon.

I'm happy with that combination and it allows us to cold smoke cheeses, salmon etc as well as the pork butt and shoulder recipies we always end up making.

ETA - I would just add that as a bonus, if you have the spare cargo capacity in your truck, there's no reason you cant take this camping with you too, electric hooksup required obviously, just don't do it if you don't want to have half the campground coming by.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:25 PM   #5

Smoker Grill for HOME USE

I've got two Bradleys. They're both the classic style. When paired with the Auberin PID controller it doesn't get much easier. My first one is about 13 years old now. Not sure how well the newer digital Bradleys do as far as temperature control, but the Auberin controller is great.
rgardjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:26 PM   #6

Home smoker

Wrascal - this could be fun. Thinking out of the box (or in it, so to speak), a few of my friends in Kodiak found old various sized refrigerators, removed the compressors, and converted them to smokers (we smoked a LOT of salmon). Though I never did it, I saw many iterations using wood, propane, & pellets also employing all variations of heat: fire, propane and electric. Depending on how "handy" you are, I think you can probably Google plans for a "refrigerator smoker" and have a pretty neat, inexpensive CERTAINLY wind-proof and unique smoker. I'd certainly adjure you pay attention to any safety concerns especially regarding electric hookup, current protection, etc. Should you even consider a project like this (wouldn't think it would take too awfully long), I'm sure most of us would love to see photos and hear any developments and recommendations you'd care to share.
JEFF1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF1963 View Post
snip... refrigerators, removed the compressors, and converted them to smokers (we smoked a LOT of salmon). Though I never did it, I saw many iterations using wood, propane, & pellets also employing all variations of heat: fire, propane and electric. Depending on how "handy" you are, I think you can probably Google plans for a "refrigerator smoker" and have a pretty neat, inexpensive CERTAINLY wind-proof and unique smoker. ...snip
My dad did this YEARS ago. He smoked a LOT of salmon it it!

I wish I could add something about the construction. I do recall that he had to paint it green, however, because his DW didn't like seeing that big, white box at the back of the yard.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:50 PM   #8

My go-to is a Traeger pellet smoker. As clubhouse said, $700 plus is a steep price but the first taste makes you forget really quick. When first fired up, an electric probe ignites the pellets with an auger feeding the pellets into a fire pot that has a fan blowing air to keep the fire going. The electric probe cuts out once the flame is going so the electric draw is minimal. Being able to buy Pellets in a variety of wood species make it play with different flavors.
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray75 View Post
My go-to is a Traeger pellet smoker. As clubhouse said, $700 plus is a steep price but the first taste makes you forget really quick. When first fired up, an electric probe ignites the pellets with an auger feeding the pellets into a fire pot that has a fan blowing air to keep the fire going. The electric probe cuts out once the flame is going so the electric draw is minimal. Being able to buy Pellets in a variety of wood species make it play with different flavors.
This....!

I have two Traegers at the house and carry a Traeger Tailgater in the fifth wheel. Mine also have a blanket for winter use. My masterpiece was a 30 pound bone in prime rib that I smoked last summer. 11 hours on the smoker and just thinking about it is making my mouth water.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:24 PM   #10

I didn't expect any replies this quickly, so thank you folks.

I've never heard of the Trag whatevers, I will give them a look-see. I assume they are electrically powered, and once the power is turned off the pellets flame soon goes out? What about ash/soot? I'm also lazy so don't want too much clean up work.

Now not only am I retired/lazy - I'm not handy, so no projects for me, thank you.

Keep the alternatives rolling.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:29 PM   #11

I clean mine out with the shop vac after every 5 or 6 uses. I wipe down the grill itself but typically keep whatever I am smoking in a separate pan. Easy Peasy. The pellets are easy to store and clean.

Yes without power the fire goes out. It needs power to run the auger that feeds the firebox. The temperature controller also needs power.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:31 PM   #12

I use the same one bansai does. Works good for us. We take it camping with us all the time. Rib, brisket, sausage, chicken. It all turns out good !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:38 PM   #13

Yep, once turned off, the flame burns out. A small shop vac takes care of the ash when needed. A 10 hour brisket may need a clean-up after but you could go 3 or 4 rounds of chicken or pork before cleaning. Clean-up takes less than 10 minutes and if you get lazy, the burn won't maintain a steady temp.
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:07 PM   #14

I've now visited their (Trag) site, interesting smoker. And it wasn't once mentioned in any of the (advertisement) reviews I previously read over.

I currently have a large Weber (for things like a rack of ribs) and a Baby Q purchased for the 5th wheel - but as it's a better size for typical things I find myself using it 4-5 times weekly. This Trag may just replace the large Weber and the Baby Q goes back on the truck full time.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrascal View Post
I didn't expect any replies this quickly, so thank you folks.

I've never heard of the Trag whatevers, I will give them a look-see. I assume they are electrically powered, and once the power is turned off the pellets flame soon goes out? What about ash/soot? I'm also lazy so don't want too much clean up work.

Now not only am I retired/lazy - I'm not handy, so no projects for me, thank you.

Keep the alternatives rolling.
Based on this I question why you would even want a smoker? Just go to a BBQ joint when the craving hits...absolutely no work, not even dishes.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:34 PM   #16

I have a trag and I like it within reason. It works great for smoking and in the summer it does a good job at just plain grilling getting around 450 degrees or so. In the winter however, I never can get it that hot. Maybe 375 max. A friend of mine purchased a green mountain grill and I will tell you that I will buy one of those when this trag dies. The metal is much thicker on it and you can tell insulates better. No problem getting hot all year around. Plus it is on WiFi and you can control it via an iPhone app if you like which is fully programmable. This allows you to start it at a certain temp and then have it automatically change to a different temp at a specified time later. Highly recommended.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:44 PM   #17

"Based on this I question why you would even want a smoker? Just go to a BBQ joint when the craving hits...absolutely no work, not even dishes."

Because our last in town BBQ joint closed down, and while they were not perfectoe it was an economical option. However now I must go out of town/ 15 miles - for even a more substandard /overpriced second priced best bbq meal; or return to doing it myself.

And then there is the fun of doing it yourself.

I haven't yet broken it to my bride, but I believe I'll soon bust the credit card budget and order this: Pro Series 34 Grill | Traeger Wood Fired Grills
Old 02-09-2017, 06:53 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrascal View Post
"Based on this I question why you would even want a smoker? Just go to a BBQ joint when the craving hits...absolutely no work, not even dishes."

Because our last in town BBQ joint closed down, and while they were not perfectoe it was an economical option. However now I must go out of town/ 15 miles - for even a more substandard /overpriced second priced best bbq meal; or return to doing it myself.

And then there is the fun of doing it yourself.

I haven't yet broken it to my bride, but I believe I'll soon bust the credit card budget and order this: Pro Series 34 Grill | Traeger Wood Fired Grills
If you can wait and you have a membership...get it from Costco when they have the product (typically in the spring). I'm a believer in Costco with their great return policy should you have any problems or just don't like the product.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:21 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
If you can wait and you have a membership...get it from Costco when they have the product (typically in the spring). I'm a believer in Costco with their great return policy should you have any problems or just don't like the product.
X2...this will be in Costco's in this area in March/April. Typically timed for spring and when many folks receive tax refunds.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:53 AM   #20

I am glad so many here have had good luck with their Treagers. That has not been my experience. I had a Masterbilt electric smoker, a gas grill, and an old style barrel charcoal grill. I purchased the Treager thinking I would eliminate the others. Although it may be a stretch, I believe I have spent almost as much time on the phone with customer service as I have grilling and smoking. When it works it is great. Sadly, for me , that is seldom. I now have received the parts, which I must install, that are supposed to fix the problems. The warrenty covers only parts, no labor. I would consider very carefully befor spending hard earned money on another Treager. Just my experience, yours may be different.
Lolead is offline   Reply With Quote