Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-09-2022, 02:49 PM   #21

I have the Traeger Tailgater. Works great, I put it on the rear bike rack inside a large storage tote so it stays dry going down the road. Can easily get two pork butts on it. It doesn’t have all the fancy features the large models have, but is very effective for a camping trip. I get about 6-7hrs on a hooper of pellets at 225-240.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
9F5A7A3F-A8C0-42AF-8142-E472E3BE5E3D.jpg  
teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 03:32 PM   #22

I have a Bradly. Everything fits inside smoker for travel. When on the road it stays in the bathtub. Only con is it uses proprietary wood hockey pucks for smoke. Kinda $$$$
Attached Thumbnails
783046A8-9361-49D5-BDAD-CE753924B602.jpg   A9FF4FD1-672E-47FE-B202-2EFEB944A772.jpg  
Mlcharlestonsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 05:10 PM   #23

Smoke Tubes

A-MAZE-N SMOKE tube works very, very well in propane and charcoal grills. I use these in my Weber grills at home and at campgrounds.
dornoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 06:29 PM   #24

I have a green mountain pellet grill/smoker that stays with the fifth wheel. Works great.
MQuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 06:35 PM   #25

Someone else mentioned the GMG Trek.

I just about pulled the trigger on an ASMOKE that looked very portable, and I think that it is. In the end, I did a little more investigating, and ended up with a Green Mountain Grill Davy Crocket, now called the Trek.

We use ours all the time when we are camping, and as a smoker, it works very well, and I have ZERO complaints about it. It can bake too, and I have used it for that, but that's not it's forte by any means. If you can raise up whatever you're baking, it works better. And I have used it as a grill once, and it worked good for that. Only have to carry pellets to do it all.

The GMG is heavy, and that's one downfall, but it does work well. It is also 12V powered, so if the power goes out while we're out on the lake, I know that the grill keeps right on going.

As mentioned, Traegger, and others make a "portable" grill as well.

I don't know how much smoking you've done, but that's a whole other topic for discussion, and there are many forums about what's right and wrong there. Smoking is a science and hobby all in and of itself. It's fun when it goes good. It's frustrating when it doesn't...
Old 04-10-2022, 05:13 AM   #26

We have a new ASMOKE 350 pellet smoker grill out on its first trip this week, not worried about how it will cook since we have 3 other Pellet grills at the farm and do most of our grilling on them. My only concern, It is heavy, about 45 pounds
Old 04-10-2022, 08:19 AM   #27

We have the WSM. You mention leaving out the middles section which would leave you with a Smokey Joe. Yes and no, I don't think there would be a place to support a rack and the air hole are on the side rather than the bottom so you wouldn't get the air flow for grilling.

We only use lump charcoal in our smoker. I don't want the chemicals from the briquettes smoking into our meat.
Bridgeengrjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 01:03 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadman_ks View Post
Someone else mentioned the GMG Trek.
I just about pulled the trigger on an ASMOKE that looked very portable, and I think that it is. In the end, I did a little more investigating, and ended up with a Green Mountain Grill Davy Crocket, now called the Trek.
The GMG is heavy, and that's one downfall, but it does work well. It is also 12V powered, so if the power goes out while we're out on the lake, I know that the grill keeps right on going.
I don't know how much smoking you've done, but that's a whole other topic for discussion, and there are many forums about what's right and wrong there. Smoking is a science and hobby all in and of itself. It's fun when it goes good. It's frustrating when it doesn't...
You should be glad you stayed away from Asmoke. Really junk and no where near the performance of GMG. I thought the Trek was lighter than the Davy Crocket. I'm definitely going back to the GMG Trek. I gave my Davy Crocket to my son when I bought the Asmoke. Trying to get him to swap back
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 03:37 PM   #29

We had a 22" Weber Smokey Mountain smoker. It was a great smoker. However, I do not miss the water pan. It was a nasty mess, and I always struggled with where to dump it. We are on septic, and we have to be careful with what we put down the drain. There would always be a huge greasy mess to clean in the sink or toilet, too. If we dumped in the back of our property, we'd have every critter known to man on us. Full disclosure, we keep our equipment and kitchen really clean. The Weber just required a little more after care than I want. But that thing made a mean full-cap brisket! I could hold it at 190-200 forever. It was a lot of fun.

If I get another smoker, it will be an offset barrel. I will look for a heavy-built one, not from a big box store. I get the electric, pellets, and gas, but I enjoy the 14 hour process of mastering the hard woods, the fire, and the low n slow method. We have never traveled with one. If I were to take one camping, I would go with one of these more convenient approaches (electric, pellet, gas).
gunafulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 07:21 PM   #30

Just a weber kettle. If I was to open a bbq joint, the slogan would be- if it ain't wet, it's just smoked meat.
Attached Thumbnails
20220410_182041.jpg   20220410_192450.jpg  
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 04:03 AM   #31

I really like bbq, so having grill was a necessity for me I decided to choose little one Smoke Hollow205 here and he is a good buddy.
But it is small, so you can cook only one portion at one time - pay attention if you have a partner.
Dynan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 10:53 AM   #32

Well... my wife is a smoker and I usually bring her along.
I do enjoy a good BBQ however.
Dbunke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 11:15 AM   #33

I have always wanted to learn how to smoke foods. My wife isn't crazy about it but I am. And so are my boys. May have to take a gander into it.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 11:36 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
I have always wanted to learn how to smoke foods. My wife isn't crazy about it but I am. And so are my boys. May have to take a gander into it.
Oh, you used the right word, "learn". Smoking food is a very time consuming hobby. Notice that I said food, and not meat. You can smoke meat for sure, but I've smoked a LOT of other things than meat. Cheese and Jalapeno poppers are a great example!!!

Things are almost always good off the smoker, it's getting that great category off the smoker. It's a journey...
cadman_ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 11:25 AM   #35

We are thrilled with this Country Smokers brand. We take it on almost every trip. It’s amazing how many other campers will show up for a taste later in the evening after smelling that Hickory smoke all day…
Attached Thumbnails
221BC37D-947B-4066-B45A-847D5B5B1312.jpg  
airski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 03:32 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlcharlestonsc View Post
I have a Bradly. Everything fits inside smoker for travel. When on the road it stays in the bathtub. Only con is it uses proprietary wood hockey pucks for smoke. Kinda $$$$
You can make your own bisquettes at a fraction of the cost...
https://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=36873.0
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 06:20 PM   #37

Just joined and found this thread. Sorry so late to the show. This is a Outlaw Smoker 2860 that rides in the garage of my Seismic 359. I also have a 2660 Outlaw in Black and chrome for sale.
Attached Thumbnails
2860 Outlaw.jpg  
Loaded-N-Rollin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 06:25 PM   #38
CAG

No! Too much work for whatever you come out with. Grille at the time or smoke it before you go but I am not into that much work for whatever.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 06:53 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
No! Too much work for whatever you come out with. Grille at the time or smoke it before you go but I am not into that much work for whatever.
It's our hobby, and frankly, the only reason we have a toy hauler. Yes, sometimes it seems like a lot of work for maybe winning a few thousand $$ and a bowling trophy (most often, not), butthe thread ask for "...who travels with one..." not why? We cook KCBS BBQ competitions, So, the amount of work is relative. The actual cooking time is less than 7 hours to produce 18 chicken thighs, 4 racks of ribs, 5 pork butts and a beef brisket of competition quality. Most don't believe that our brisket is actually done in 3 hours or less on average from the time it goes on the smoker until it is put to bed to rest before slicing. Low and slow is a time consuming method, but the top pit masters have learned to get better results, and get more sleep cooking hot and fast. There are different prep techniques, and a smaller margin for error, but it does work. I don't even light the fire until 5AM for turn-ins that start at noon. The Outlaw actually is pretty easy. Get your temp constant with clean smoke, and throw on a stick and a couple of char logs every 30-40 minutes and your good. You probably do a lot of things I would think are too cumbersome, too. For instance, I wouldn't have a dog because I don't want to walk it. I like dogs, but I'm not into that much work - for that. Cheers.
Loaded-N-Rollin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 07:36 PM   #40

I use at home and carry sometimes a Materbuilt Smoke Hollow electric smoker which is about 2.5 feet tall. I would like to find something that works well for RVing but smaller. I have room for what I have but I have to lay it on its side and need to keep it clean because any juices will get on the carpet in the pass thru storage.

Regarding Brisket, I have usually set the brisket out about an hour before smoking it from a thawed out state, sometimes marinated but more often I just use a rub. ~225 steady temp and I pull the brisket when the temp reaches 190 (usually ~8 hours or so) and let it rest ~20 minutes. About every 2 hours I add more wood chips and water to the smoker. In any case, I am no pro (although everything I smoke is delicious), and would enjoy trying your suggestions. Are you suggesting just a higher temp but for a shorter time? Thx, ~CA