Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-15-2012, 04:29 PM   #1

Weber or Camp Chef

I am looking at the Camp Chep MVP grill and the Weber Q200. Both offer the same amount of cooking space, and both are priced fairly close. The Camp Chef come with legs and the Weber does not. So the Weber will cost more. The Weber is probably a better "grill". But the Camp Chef is 25K BTU and can be used as a stove as well. I sorta like that is case I want to make some low country boil or something, but mostly it will be used for grilling. I emailed Camp Chef and they told me that they have all the parts I need to be able to hook their product up to my TT's quick connect. I have read that the same can be done with the Weber, but takes some modifications. Just looking for some input, thanks. Some of the reviews I have read for the camp chef mention it does not like the wind, that could be bad since I camp at the ocean, mainly because I love those ocean breezes!
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:58 PM   #2

I am not familiar with the Camp Chef grille, but I do own a Weber Q200. I have owned a wide variey of grilles from$99 specials to expensive SS grilles with cast iron burners etc. I can honestly say the Weber Q200 is the best grille I have ever owned. We grille often, about 3 to 4 times a week while home and almost every night while RVing. It cooks evenly w/o burning, no flare-ups, and is extremely easy to control depending on what you are cooking. Can’t say enough good about it. However, I did purchase a separate fuel tank (20Lb) since it is not easily connected to my RV. We purchased the Weber about 1 year ago.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:36 PM   #3

If your RV has a quick disconnect, any grill that uses a propane canister can connect to it. You can buy the hose at camping world or most any propane service company can make one for you. If the grill has an integral regulator you will going through it and the RV's regulator, but that has not been a problem with our Quisinart.

John & Nancy
Jay Feather 25Z 2007
Ford F-150 XLT 5.4 Triton 2008
TeamFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamFoxy View Post
If your RV has a quick disconnect, any grill that uses a propane canister can connect to it. You can buy the hose at camping world or most any propane service company can make one for you. If the grill has an integral regulator you will going through it and the RV's regulator, but that has not been a problem with our Quisinart.
I can say from experience that this is not the case with a Coleman Roadtrip. Significantly lowered my BTU's by more than half. Sure there was a flame, it was a simmer. That being said you can connect it to the quick connect with a simple mod of a quick connect hose.

While not in your assortment the Roadtrip has served us well. I have every top for it made. Large full size griddle (fits inside on the three burners too), the half griddle, stove top for boils and the orginally equipped grill tops. It is self contained in the storage bag and the legs fold under the unit. Overall I have been happy with the unit and the versatility. If I had to choose between the two above I would go with the Webber just based on experience with my gas home grill. You really can't beat their quality and warranty if you ever need it.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:11 PM   #5

The Camp Chef stuff rules for BTUs. Get the Camp Chef Big Gas Grill 3. It has three burners and a detachable grill box that covers two burners. the grill box features cast iron grates.

I have used one for three years at home and camping and our scout troop has yet to destroy any of the troop's Camp Chef products. That just about sums up my opinion of the quality.

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:30 PM   #6

I like our Webber.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:02 PM   #7

I have the Weber Q220, we love it, heat is nice and even and we make our camp nachos in it....
Old 10-15-2012, 09:41 PM   #8

I have the 100 weber and it does everything that I want it to do. It is just the wife and me. I also have the hose that plugs into the quick disconnnect and connects to the grill. It just takes a little longer to heat up and no I did not remove the regulater from the stove. Kept it on there so that I could use the little bottles if need be.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:48 AM   #9

I bought the Weber Q200. I love it.......here at home. At the campsites it was great......if the wind wasn't blowing. I tried scrambling eggs in a large cast iron skillet on this and it took forever!! Not enough BTU's for this girl!
Bought a 25,000 BTU camp grill sports from Camping World. It has legs with wheels, collapses flat and fits perfect in the cargo area of the TT.
Costs a little more than the Weber, but it cooks faster and better.
Kathie

2011 Jayco Flight G2 23FB
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
1500Weight Distribution System, Accupower Pilot Brake Control, Sway Control, Husky Elec Jack
Moving Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:04 AM   #10

I just bought the Weber Q200 and hope it is going to work for us better than the supplied Jayco grill. Not sure what the RV regulator knocks pressure down to, but will report back once I get it set up and operating. Going to get the griddle plate for it, this should make for some nice breakfasts.
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:08 AM   #11

Bought the Weber Q200 and as stated above, works great pending no wind. Windy days forget about it as the wind drowns out the flame and you can barely feel any heat. On the not windy days I love the way it cooks my 1.5" thick 10oz hand cut filets.
Can't you just taste them?????

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2022 Ford F-450 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:59 AM   #12

Most Weber grills suggest cooking with the lid down, thus they will not function properly in the wind.
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Arvee View Post
I just bought the Weber Q200 and hope it is going to work for us better than the supplied Jayco grill. Not sure what the RV regulator knocks pressure down to, but will report back once I get it set up and operating. Going to get the griddle plate for it, this should make for some nice breakfasts.
You need to remove the regulator from the BBQ. There is a quick connect adaptor that most BBQ stores will have. Replace the regulator with the connector and you are in business.

Jayco 228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:46 AM   #14

Tx, doesn't matter if the lid is down or not. The wind will greatly reduce the heat cooking. Ask me how I know.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
1500Weight Distribution System, Accupower Pilot Brake Control, Sway Control, Husky Elec Jack
Old 10-17-2012, 06:48 AM   #15

Mike.......yup........I can taste them!!!!! :P
I have the Q220 and it works great!!!!! With no wind.
I use it at home on the patio.
But the grill I bought from camping world has a bigger btu and works great......even in a little wind.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
Old 10-17-2012, 06:53 AM   #16

Coleman RoadTrip LXE Grill

Check this out on Camping World.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
Old 10-17-2012, 07:14 AM   #17

We use the Coleman BLUE Roadtrip and like all of the available accessories that come with it. Also had a nice roll-around carry case. With the water holding area below the grill makes for real easy clean-up... Seems to have more working space... Does real good for us. I use the 1lb canister with it...
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:16 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco 228 View Post
You need to remove the regulator from the BBQ. There is a quick connect adaptor that most BBQ stores will have. Replace the regulator with the connector and you are in business.
I use a 20# propane tank with the hose attachment. Not sure removing the regulator would be a good move.

And cooking with the lid closed is the ONLY way mine will cook. Opened, and forget about cooking.

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
Old 10-17-2012, 03:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNChelle View Post
I use a 20# propane tank with the hose attachment. Not sure removing the regulator would be a good move.

And cooking with the lid closed is the ONLY way mine will cook. Opened, and forget about cooking.
Used mine all summer that way. Lots of others on here have done the same. That is the only way it will run properly of the trailer LP, otherwise you are going thru two regulators and I don't think it would operate at proper output.

Jayco 228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:32 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco 228 View Post
Used mine all summer that way. Lots of others on here have done the same. That is the only way it will run properly of the trailer LP, otherwise you are going thru two regulators and I don't think it would operate at proper output.
Using a seperate 20# tank w/o a regulator on the tank.

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS