Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-19-2011, 03:02 PM   #1

2010 jayco octane zx superlight problems

Just to let anyone know if you are thinking about buying a new Jayco octane zx superlight please read. I love my 2010 trailer but in the 7 months I’ve owned her , I have had a list of ongoing warranty problems, she’s been in the dealership for almost 2 months for different repairs, and the latest major problem Jayco denied the claim!!!!
If you live in a high humidity area please know that Jayco will not honor their 2 year hitch to bumper warranty when it comes to cabinets! I recently had to take my trailer in for an unrelated recall repair and noticed that my cabinet faces (actual cabinet not the doors) had a weird texture, it was then that I noticed that my cabinets were particle wood and wood grain paper. All the paper had started to bubble and the particle wood had twisted and bowed. A month earlier I had winterized the trailer as per the manual and followed it to a t. Thinking I was good I closed the door only to be blasted a month later with jacked up cabinets and Jayco stating that they don’t cover condensation damage, and that I should contact my insurance company!!!!!!!! Don’t get me wrong My local RV Dealer is replacing the cabinet faces at their cost, I just want you to know that Jayco Corporate will not honor any such claims and not all dealers are the same. Clearly my Jayco cabinets have a material defect as a trailer should be able to sit a month or 2 without being heated. (all the trailers at my local dealer lot ARE NOT HEATED). But Jayco would like me to believe that it's only cosmetic, and that its my fault for allowing moisture in my trailer!!!!! Unfortunately every trailer is going to get a certain amount of condensation in it and the relative humidity is going to raise when you use it, showers, Body temp, etc. so if the cabinets can’t stand up to being stored (AS PER THE FACTORY MANUAL), what’s going to happen in a few months of actively using the trailer??????
Just my 2 cents, hope this helps.
fstrecon8653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:03 PM   #2

update

My Local RV dealer received the Cabinet parts from Jayco and the service manager told me they were as bad as the ones already on my trailer. I guess thier having problems with QC at the factory. Anyway my dealer decided to use real wood for the replacement parts. I should get my trailer back next Tuesday, A full 2 months after dropping it off ! I wish Washington state's "Lemon Law" included trailers because I know I got the worst one that pulled off the lot in 2010!!!! To sum up a list of major issues besides the Cabinets, (1) The furnace was put together wrong and could have caught my trailer on fire, (2) a bathroom wall disconnected from the floor ( binding up the bathroom door), (3) the fridge shifted in the cabinet (causing cooling problems), (4) sagging roof panel (unknown reason, possible water damage???), (5) LEAKING back ramp, (6) exhaust fan bearing went out, (7) and a host of other small QC problems. I believe Jayco use to make a great trailer, as evident by the lack of bad reviews, and what was suppose to be the best warranty in the RV world, but In this recession I think they cut a lot of key personnel and as a result Quality Control & customer service are subpar for what you pay for.
If anyone's interested I'll Post an update on the condition of the dealer repairs.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:32 PM   #3

We had a few issues with quality on our new trailer. Most has been taken care of but it never should have been delivered with those issues. Keep us posted.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:22 PM   #4

No News Yet!!!!!! My dealer called last night and stated the cabinets were done but after 2 months of my trailer sitting on their lot they failed to replace my broken exhaust fan that was on the original work order! To add insult to injury they didn’t have one in stock and needed to order it !!!!!!!!! I don’t think I’m ever going to ever get my trailer back. Of coarse Murphys law took ahold and I desperately needed my trailer a few times during the last 2 months for an emergency shelter, ( loss of power / heat in the NW) but I had to make other costly arrangements to keep my family warm and fed. Between my dealer and Jayco I really wish I would have bought something else.

2010 OCTANE ZX SUPERLIGHT
2003 DURAMAX
Old 02-23-2011, 06:41 PM   #5

Hmmm... Wow! What a mouthful...

Well I bought a use Jayco Eagle and so far so good there has been a few problems from the pervious owner but I'm getting them ironed out rather well.

Like after buying my 2002 Dodge brand new and jumping through the hoops and loops for the dealer and warrnaty at 50K miles I gave up and became my own warranty center and never been back. So its something to consider...

Like I learned I will will never buy new again it just too much hassle to run back and forth to a dealer to get the run around. As for brand names... It doesn't matter what ever you buy is going to have issues...

Just my 2 cents...
Mopar1973Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:41 PM   #6

Well after no call from the dealer I drove in and demanded I get my trailer back. low and behold as I walked in the door all went quiet, it seems that while they were cleaning my trailer one of their idiots placed the vacuum or something on my couch and it ripped up the cushion !!!!!!!!! Now I have a cushion on order (another warranty issue).
I looked at the cabinets that they replaced and they look like hell, staples hanging out, cabinet bottoms not flush and/ or attached. The mindless techs didn’t pre-drill the backing 1x1 and it split on most of the cabinets so that the side panels are loose. And to top everything else they badly gouged up the wall panel between the stove and the shower. The only way to replace that is to remove the lower and upper cabinet again!!!!!!!!! Another week or two without my trailer. I might sound anal but this is the second thing I’ve bought new and **** it I’ve had more problems in 8 months than I’ve ever had with anything else in my life. As a matter of fact I’ve bought everything from a $700 truck to a new Harley Davidson and never had this many problems. All I want is what I paid for, and after 21k cash I shouldn’t have to be dealing with this (for a lack of a better term) “Crap”. Next week I’m going to call the Attorney General and see what they say.

2010 OCTANE ZX SUPERLIGHT
2003 DURAMAX
Old 03-06-2011, 12:58 PM   #7

Wow! Just curious, how do the cabinets look in the other tt's at your dealership's lot? Over the years, we have experienced headaches with warranty issues on vehicles/rv's and the fact that we even had some of the issues we had. No fun. Hope things work out with the A.G. . Hope you eventually can go camping
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:51 PM   #8

Lemon law in Washington?
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:15 PM   #9

Did you ever get your trailer squared away and back?
2008 Artic Cat 650 TRV

Leroy2u is offline   Reply With Quote