Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-18-2017, 03:15 PM   #1

2011 octane T26Y where is fresh water vent line

2011 octane T26Y where is fresh water vent line routed to and from. I don't see anything obvious to check for kink or blockage. The filling of fresh tanks causes burping and takes forever. Also seems like I'm not picking up with water pump and still have 1/3 water tank left on idiot light of tank.

Looking for ideas, suggestions etc
Thanks
Peekayphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 05:01 PM   #2

Is your overflow blocked? Air should be able to escape though the overflow.

The idiot lights to indicate water level is notoriously inaccurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
6 Speed Manual
farnik78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 06:44 PM   #3

Don't know about your year and model, but most vents are ~1/2" open ended tubing pointing down somewhere in the area where the fresh water tanks are mounted. The vents connect near/at the top of the water tank(s).

Have you filled the tanks before without a problem?

I use a Camco water heater rinser to fill my water tanks. It is small enough that air can easily escape when filling and has on on/off valve. I just stick it in the filler, turn on the water, and wait.

As farnik78 said, the lights that show how much liquid is in a tank can be very inaccurate.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 09:11 PM   #4

We've had it a couple of months. Its has always filled slow and burps. Tonight's inspection showed 2 each 50 gallon tanks. The rear tank has 2 vent lines high on the side that are bent over and tyrapped closed. The front tank has no visible vent lines. The suction of the water pump has a t with a valve and a long tube open that appears to be a vent if opened. I assume this is for drain / winterizing. Now my question is could it also will vent the water tanks when filling?
Old 12-18-2017, 10:00 PM   #5

Comments follow...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peekayphx View Post
We've had it a couple of months. Its has always filled slow and burps. Tonight's inspection showed 2 each 50 gallon tanks. The rear tank has 2 vent lines high on the side that are bent over and tyrapped closed. The front tank has no visible vent lines. Open those two vent lines and try filling again.

The suction of the water pump has a t with a valve and a long tube open that appears to be a vent if opened. I assume this is for drain / winterizing. Now my question is could it also will vent the water tanks when filling? No, that hose is not a vent and doesn't connect directly to the water tank(s). It is for sucking in RV antifreeze when winterizing.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
Old 12-19-2017, 07:32 AM   #6

Thank you. Ill try tonight after work. I assume I need to run a vent line to these somewhere up high so they don't slosh or siphon while travelling. We are almost always dry camping and fill at home.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:15 AM   #7

Plugging the vent lines in some way (corks, valves, 'bent over and tyrapped closed') are ways to prevent siphoning and water loss when traveling. Unless you run the vent line 'up high' like you said, the vents should be open when filling and closed when traveling.

DW and I use corks and they work well as long as we remember to install and remove them. A few times I've seen a 'water trail' following us when I've forgotten to install them.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:00 PM   #8

I have the same trailer and those two hoses should point down to allow air to vent out and when water starts to flow out, tanks are full. I would loose about 1\3 of my fresh water driving from home to camping so I tied the two lines together with an elbow and tee fitting, added a foot or so of hose with a valve on the end. Open it to fill and when parked to vent and close it while driving......all water stays in the tanks where it belongs instead of on the road.

Ross.