Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-11-2020, 01:44 PM   #1

2020 North Point stress crack

Has anyone else had an issue with a stress crack developing at the lower corner of the bedroom slide-out ??
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3436.jpg   IMG_3596.jpg  
Powerdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 01:48 PM   #2

apparently a somewhat common issue with these - https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tup-63985.html
atlantaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 01:55 PM   #3

Yes many have had it. Most have to go back to the factory for repair. I can't believe this is still an issue. Best of luck.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 02:22 PM   #4

This problem has been going on for years now. Lack of support is causing the stress cracks, as stated most go back to the factory for repairs. You think by now Jayco would have put a fix into place to stop these expensive repairs on their dime.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 07:40 PM   #5

I have the same crack on my 2021 Talon
PA Nate308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 01:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Nate308 View Post
What is Jayco suggesting for your repair ??
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel
B&W 25K Companion hitch for factory puck system
Siberian Husky- Annabelle, Pomeranian- Brees
Powerdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 12:08 AM   #7

Wow, this have been going on for a few years now, you would think that they have a fix but yeah I would stay on Jayco on this one.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 06:08 PM   #8

Talon Crack

Quote:
PA Nate308 - which Talon do you have? We have a 5 month old 335T with a crack at the lower, front corner of the bedroom slide. Noticed it when I was washing it prior to winter storage. Only 1800 miles of towing, but we did have auto leveling problems with jacks limiting out, etc. Control panel was wired backwards. Next step for us to contact Jayco on this as well as some poor frame welds.
Attached Thumbnails
20201009_161153.jpg   20201009_161210.jpg  
HecBec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 07:46 PM   #9

Stress Crack

HecBec,
We have the 403T. Jayco is paying for the repair. Its going into the shop after our last trip to Hatfield on Nov 4th thru the 8th.
Old 11-18-2020, 09:07 PM   #10

I have to drop off the camper at a repair shop. Jayco is paying for the crack to be fixed.
Old 11-19-2020, 09:33 AM   #11

As much as I would have loved to have a bedroom slide on my Talon. This is y I also don't mind. Read a bunch about this issue from all manufacturers.
Loving, using, and modifying my 413t.
Brooksb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:45 PM   #12

Quote:
I have to drop off the camper at a repair shop. Jayco is paying for the crack to be fixed.
We are getting photos of the slide crack along with some photos of poor weld organized to send in to Jayco. Will let you know how they respond.
Old 11-19-2020, 08:54 PM   #13

If it makes you feel any better, back in 2012 I had an 04 Montana Mountaineer and it had the same exact crack.
Common denominator, Lippert. They make the frames.
Old 12-12-2020, 05:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaM3 View Post
apparently a somewhat common issue with these - https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tup-63985.html
Our 2017 pinnacle 39spqs has similar stress crack ... lone star RV in Houston estimates full month for repair. Just spent four months on shop to repair suspension issue — one leaf spring completely sheared. Appreciate your sharing this as well as others
Other than that, our furniture has completely failed and neither Jayco or Franklin ( manufactured the Thomas Payne furniture ) will do squat. It’s complete garbage and we will be buying furniture with ultra leather .. Began cracking / deteriorating after only two years with minimal use ......
All in all, we love everything about the pinnacle.
Pdemeritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 03:55 PM   #15

Update:
The camper went to a repair shop who fixed the crack. Problem is it recracked as soon as they extended the bedroom slide. Jayco payed for this. Now they want it back to the dealer in Sept to repair the issue back at the factory in Indiana. I must say, my dealer has been good about fixing problems. I am on my third Dometic fridge. The first two both failed after a few uses. Its going back to the dealer next week to replace the fridge again. The fridge issue has been frustrating. I can’t seem to get a good unit. The stress crack is annoying. I’m going to loose 5 weeks in September and October of possible weekends to camp while its back in Indiana being repaired. The dealer explained that Jayco is now going to place some kind of stress relief where the issue is that will stop the cracks from happening..
Old 01-20-2021, 05:19 PM   #16

Stress Crack talk, from Jayco, bullcacky
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 05:02 AM   #17

My Talon after the first season does not have the crack... yet... Does anyone know if this is covered up through the new 3 year structural warranty?
Dbunke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 08:05 AM   #18

We have been communicating with Jayco regarding the side wall crack and frame welds. A few things to share:

1) Jayco is now out into November 2021 for scheduling factory repairs. They indicated they would have it for 2 weeks to repair the side wall and welds.
2) Now Jayco has directed us to Hilltop RV in Fridley, MN for the side wall crack repair since thy are an authorized repair center. Working on getting that scheduled.
3) Jayco also authorized us to work directly with Lippert on the frame weld/rust issues.
4) Regarding the sidewall crack at the bedroom slide Jayco stated it is 'cosmetic' only. Based on their own description of their bonded wall construction I have a hard time believing that statement.

PA Nate - disappointing to see that the side wall cracked as soon as the slide was extended. I have read on other threads about the stress relief repair.

Dbunke - I can't answer on your warranty question, but will ask as we continue to communicate with Jayco. I would like to know as well.
Old 12-18-2021, 06:31 AM   #19

Update:

We brought our Talon into Hilltop Camper and RV on Oct 9th and just got it back on Dec 13th. The sidewall repair did not take that long. We had some back and forth with both Jayco and Lippert on repair/rework of some very poor quality frame welds so that extended the time. Hilltop was good to work with and eventually Jayco and Lippert combined to cover the weld repairs.

The side wall repair was major surgery - removal of the side wall and install of plates and gussets to reinforce. The repair included a vertical stress relief cut and cover expansion joint. See photos below - not sure why the 2nd photo rotated. The repair looks clean and the expansion joint is in the dark stripe area so it is somewhat hidden. During the repair process Hilltop called to confirm that we were OK with the stress relief cut and also informed us that Jayco would not cover a crack recurrence if the stress relief cut was not part of the repair. Only 200 miles back north to winter storage so can't comment on longevity of repair yet, but I expect with the stress relief that it will be good.

dBunke - I apologize, I forgot to ask about the 3 year structural warranty. I have some follow-up with Hilltop and can ask.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2206.jpg   IMG_2207.jpg  

2019 RAM 2500HD 6.7 Cummins
2021 Jayco Talon 335T
Old 12-19-2021, 09:36 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HecBec View Post
Update:

We brought our Talon into Hilltop Camper and RV on Oct 9th and just got it back on Dec 13th. The sidewall repair did not take that long. We had some back and forth with both Jayco and Lippert on repair/rework of some very poor quality frame welds so that extended the time. Hilltop was good to work with and eventually Jayco and Lippert combined to cover the weld repairs.

The side wall repair was major surgery - removal of the side wall and install of plates and gussets to reinforce. The repair included a vertical stress relief cut and cover expansion joint. See photos below - not sure why the 2nd photo rotated. The repair looks clean and the expansion joint is in the dark stripe area so it is somewhat hidden. During the repair process Hilltop called to confirm that we were OK with the stress relief cut and also informed us that Jayco would not cover a crack recurrence if the stress relief cut was not part of the repair. Only 200 miles back north to winter storage so can't comment on longevity of repair yet, but I expect with the stress relief that it will be good.

dBunke - I apologize, I forgot to ask about the 3 year structural warranty. I have some follow-up with Hilltop and can ask.
Do you have a contact number for them? thanks

h3is3m2n is offline   Reply With Quote