Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-16-2017, 11:22 PM   #1

355w furnace help!!

I have my 2017 355w in for its first round if warranty work right now. Most things seem to be being taken care of fine but one issue looks like it is setting up to be a battle.

One issue I asked for them to resolve is regarding the propane furnace. It runs just fine, but the ductwork makes a very loud popping noise when the furnace kicks on (as the metal expands) and then again when it shuts off (as the metal cools). It is loud enough to wake you up at night.

When I called the dealer today for an update they said their tech says "it's operating as advertised." I told them I didn't think that was right but wanted to see if any other 355w owners ( or fifth wheel toy hauler owners in general) had the same issue. Please let me know!

2017 Siesmic Wave 355w towed by 2015 Ram 3500
apgambino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:59 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by apgambino View Post
I have my 2017 355w in for its first round if warranty work right now. Most things seem to be being taken care of fine but one issue looks like it is setting up to be a battle.

One issue I asked for them to resolve is regarding the propane furnace. It runs just fine, but the ductwork makes a very loud popping noise when the furnace kicks on (as the metal expands) and then again when it shuts off (as the metal cools). It is loud enough to wake you up at night.

When I called the dealer today for an update they said their tech says "it's operating as advertised." I told them I didn't think that was right but wanted to see if any other 355w owners ( or fifth wheel toy hauler owners in general) had the same issue. Please let me know!

Nope, no loud popping from mine, 2016 Seismic Wave 355W. Mine does run from the LP at all times tho, which I thot it I was plugged in it wouldn't be. I thot that's why there's a switch for LP heat and electric heat on the thermostat. I am probably wrong tho.

Sounds like we have the same set ups, yours is just a year newer. I have a 2016 355W pulled by a 2014 Ram 2500. I have to admit, you have a nice set of toys. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-17-2017, 09:05 AM   #3

I have a 2016 355W and have never heard any pop noise. Also "there's a switch for LP heat and electric heat on the thermostat", I guess I am confused on this statement. The furnace heat source runs on LP only, and then you have your fan which runs on electricity, there is no option to run it entirely on electricity.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:17 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply folks, keep them coming! As for the heat and gas option on the thermostat, it's for the heat pump option if you have it on the main a.c. unit. I have it on mine and if you put it on elec heat it will run the heat pump until it's not effective and the supplement with the LP furnace.

Old 11-17-2017, 05:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by apgambino View Post
Thanks for the reply folks, keep them coming! As for the heat and gas option on the thermostat, it's for the heat pump option if you have it on the main a.c. unit. I have it on mine and if you put it on elec heat it will run the heat pump until it's not effective and the supplement with the LP furnace.

I gotcha. I didn't know and figured since it said "electric heat" there was some type of heating element it used if it was plugged in or running off the genny. Now I know and knowing is half the battle!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2485.jpg  
Morfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 12:14 PM   #6

If you are still under warranty I would find a different dealer to look at it and see what they say??
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 09:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasum View Post
If you are still under warranty I would find a different dealer to look at it and see what they say??
It's a possibility, but the way dealers only want to service those they sold to makes me want to work it out through them.

I did call them back and told them I did not buy the "performing as advertised" line. The service writer (who sounded like I was asking her to jump off a bridge) begrudgingly said she would call Jayco and see what they have to say. I'm not holding my breath though.

Old 11-19-2017, 10:09 AM   #8

I would call Jayco myself and talk with them. Anytime I have called them they have always been very helpful...........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
2016 F350 Lariat CC LB dually 6.7
Old 11-19-2017, 10:10 AM   #9

I may give that a try on monday, and then call the dealer back and make sure our stories match...great idea, thanks!

Old 11-19-2017, 10:13 AM   #10

A lot of people have complained their dealer tells them Jayco said this and find out dealer did NOT even talk with Jayco.
I will never go back to dealer we bought from for anything.
You can always find a decent RV repair shop for things that you cannot repair yourself.

Good Luck
Old 11-25-2023, 10:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morfoot View Post
I gotcha. I didn't know and figured since it said "electric heat" there was some type of heating element it used if it was plugged in or running off the genny. Now I know and knowing is half the battle!
Newbie here

2016 Seismic Wave 355W - How can I tell if I have the heat pump option?
I thought my heat died last night. It was 15F! I know this is too cold for heat pumps. I have not had the RV out at such low temperatures before.
I think I ran out of propane too. It took me a while to guess that, but when I investigated, I found that one LP tank was empty.
Then it took trying a couple of combinations of transfer valve settings to get propane to the stove. Once I had LP to the stove, the heat worked when I set it to Gas heat on the thermostat.
It is odd that the electric setting (heat pump?) did not work when it was much warmer (above 45F) this afternoon . . .
Live and learn . . .
mikeyw is offline   Reply With Quote