Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-11-2018, 07:02 PM   #1

393 Talon

I am new to camping and jumped all in and bought a new truck and a 393 t looking for advice I am picking it up Friday afternoon and never towed a fifth wheel or anything that big.... seriously excited but extremely nervous because it’s about a 70 mile drive home
Johnsfirstrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:18 AM   #2

Respect it, don't be afraid of it. I don't have a 5th wheel, ours is a 30' TT but I think you would find 5th wheels are easier. Just take it easy, no rush. Drive it around a bit at the dealer as best you can and get a feel for it. The first 5 miles you go with it are going to be a little more nerve racking than the last 5 miles of your 70 mile trip home. My guess is, by time you get home you'll be more comfortable with it. What you need to remember is the height and length for when making turns and going under trees and the like, especially if you take it to the house or whatever.

If it was just so simple it wouldn't be nearly as fun!

Have fun!
Octane2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:06 AM   #3

The tail swing on the rear corner of the trailer on the outside of a tight turn is what will get you. Take the trailer to a big parking lot and do a full lock turn and have some one video from the rear so you will see how much the rear end swings.
Husky911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:45 PM   #4

Thanks I got it home safely and took it to a empty parking lot for practice and not as bad as I thought. Still a little worried about the tail swing but for now I am going camping
Johnsfirstrv is offline   Reply With Quote