Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-22-2015, 09:59 AM   #1

4212 vs Heartland 4200

I am new to the RV world, however my wife and I have decided to take a plunge and go full time starting next year. Until a few weeks ago, we were set on a Jayco Seneca 37HJ. Done deal. Then we started evaluating 5th wheels because we will have a daughter with us and she wants her own space. (kids, Ugh). Then we happened on the Heartland 4200 toy hauler. I LOVE The layout. We fell in love immediately, but because I was already sold on Jayco I looked, and found, the 4212. Looks to be nearly the EXACT same. That said, the 4212 is about 10k more. So now, I am asking for help. I need to know where the 10k quality/difference is. Someone help me as I have been super pumped about Jayco, but I need to sell my wife on the cost. Any help you can offer is appreciated. BTW, I posted something similar on Heartlands forum, and am not impressed so far with the replies. But need to gather data on the major differences. Please advise. Keep in mind, my concerns are quality, support should something break or not work right, and durability as we will be living in it full time.
norton0428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:28 AM   #2

First, I don't think Heartland offers a two year warranty. Also you need to look closely at the construction of the cabinets etc. What are standards vs options.

JAYCO has always been a price point higher than most other similar units, but I would personally not buy any other brand.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton0428 View Post
I am new to the RV world, however my wife and I have decided to take a plunge and go full time starting next year. Until a few weeks ago, we were set on a Jayco Seneca 37HJ. Done deal. Then we started evaluating 5th wheels because we will have a daughter with us and she wants her own space. (kids, Ugh). Then we happened on the Heartland 4200 toy hauler. I LOVE The layout. We fell in love immediately, but because I was already sold on Jayco I looked, and found, the 4212. Looks to be nearly the EXACT same. That said, the 4212 is about 10k more. So now, I am asking for help. I need to know where the 10k quality/difference is. Someone help me as I have been super pumped about Jayco, but I need to sell my wife on the cost. Any help you can offer is appreciated. BTW, I posted something similar on Heartlands forum, and am not impressed so far with the replies. But need to gather data on the major differences. Please advise. Keep in mind, my concerns are quality, support should something break or not work right, and durability as we will be living in it full time.

Great question. Tomorrow most likely, if all goes well, I will be a second generation Jayco Seismic owner, and they've only been around since '13.

I've done an incredible amount of research on all TH's this year, esp Jay and HL, and I've got a lot of info to share. However, I will be able to comment in detail tomorrow. This day is in the books for us.

One thing, the new head designer and engineer for the Seismic line comes from HL. That means the best practices of design have met better build and warranty, with some design improvements to the HL designs.

More to follow...
P25ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 04:35 PM   #4

Awesome. Thank you so much. I look forward to hearing how it goes.
norton0428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 07:28 AM   #5

Hi Norton,

My wife and I just bought a 4212. We live in Northern Alberta Canada. We've done a great deal of research and compared numerous models. Also looked at the 4200. I like the heartland products but honestly the quality of the 4212 seems way better. When we were deciding between the 2 units they were parked side by side and the 4212 stood out....

-Cabinetry and moldings are higher quality
-The stairs are aluminum rather than metal so rust is not a concern
-Back-splash in the kitchen is actual tile, not a stick on fake tile
-Frameless windows

Many others features to mention. The insulation factors were also key for us along with the heated tanks and water lines. Overall we are very happy with it. Would love to

Rich
snubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:43 AM   #6

Having a Seismic myself, I like your points, but I would look at other things as well. How do the pin boxes compare? How about the suspension and frame? Holding tank capacity? The Jayco also uses an electric leveling system while I think the other uses the hydraulic six point leveling system, which is far superior in its execution. As I said, I like your points, but they are the "window dressing", if you will. If you are comparing the two and are looking to make the switch, I would look deeper into the systems and chassis.

I can also confirm that the insulation and heated underbelly work adequately. We have been in ours as low as 20 degrees and a 50MPH wind (Oklahoma blizzard on our way west) and 10 degrees without wind and had nothing freeze. Just remember to keep your furnace running and don't hook up any outside lines if you can get away with it.
2009 Jay Flight 31BHS (sold)
2005 Jay Flight 27BH (sold) - probably my favorite
djtho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:53 AM   #7

Unless they changed it, look at the heartland floor construction vs. Jayco. Heartland was using basically luan on top and bottom with foam sandwiched in between. A laminated type floor. It's a weight saver, but less than par for me from a longevity stand point. Some like that, I prefer my plywood.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:20 AM   #8

Thanks for the info. For sure, we also did our research on the structure itself. Good to know about the lines not freezing in that weather. I'm also looking into the best way to insulate the belly of the toy hauler area.
snubber is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4200, 4212, heartland