Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-11-2017, 11:14 AM   #21

No problem. I agree with the other posters response that these trailers are built tougher than we may think. I mean they are a rolling earthquake. However they are by no means designed to withstand an event that you unfortunately have had. They are engineered to bend and twist a tremendous amount. But once you get off the pavement and in a event with high amounts of sway anything can happen. Thankfully you and your family are all unharmed. As far as going after the truck drivers insurance it's been my experience to go through my own insurance and let them handle the rest with the truck driver and his insurance. An individual dealing with a insurance company of the truck driver becomes more brain damage than its worth. They will put you off literally for a couple of years and make you get your own attorney involved to get resolve. That's been my experience here in Ohio anyway. And if this occurred in Michigan or a state similar as a no fault state it is even worse. Your insurance company deals with this type of stuff everyday and they know how to get reimbursed from other insurance companies quite rapidly as well. I disagree with other post about keeping an eye on things I assume that they are referring to using the camper as nothing has happened. I know my family's lifes and other people's life's on the road mean way more to me than taking a chance on the integrity of a rv that could very well be compromised all so I can hopefully go enjoy the weekend. I am a guy that pulls my octane on very long trips and I won't listen to the radio as I am always listening for any strange noises. Wife doesn't care for that all that much lol . But I have seen way too many terrible things happen with towing trailers and everything with the truck and trailer were in perfect condition. Sorry for such a long post.
Ryan1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:38 AM   #22

I would be on the phone daily with that company regarding the way their driver almost cost you, and maybe others, their lives. One thing I will NOT TOLERATE, is a big rig driver who thinks they own the road and are untouchable. Go for all you can. You should NOT bear the results of his/hers negligence. I see it so often. It happened to us outside of Birmingham. I was towing our offroad Jeep on a car-hauler trailer and almost jack-knifed. I was livid to say the least. After just a couple of phone calls, the driver will no longer drive a big rig. He had alot of complaints in his personnel file, and I think mine was the icing on the cake. Good luck. Get the bad drivers off the road. Good luck with your RV.

Get legal counsel for sure.
goldenbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:36 PM   #23

if you go through your insurance you are going to be okay but if you think that they will go after the other guy that doesn't always work out... if the other insurance company never reimburses your insurance company it stays on your insurance with all the applicable increases... keep that in mind...

I am sure without a WDH with the friction bars you would have rolled... thank goodness you had the right tools!
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:05 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1974 View Post
No problem. I agree with the other posters response that these trailers are built tougher than we may think. I mean they are a rolling earthquake. However they are by no means designed to withstand an event that you unfortunately have had. They are engineered to bend and twist a tremendous amount. But once you get off the pavement and in a event with high amounts of sway anything can happen. Thankfully you and your family are all unharmed. As far as going after the truck drivers insurance it's been my experience to go through my own insurance and let them handle the rest with the truck driver and his insurance. An individual dealing with a insurance company of the truck driver becomes more brain damage than its worth. They will put you off literally for a couple of years and make you get your own attorney involved to get resolve. That's been my experience here in Ohio anyway. And if this occurred in Michigan or a state similar as a no fault state it is even worse. Your insurance company deals with this type of stuff everyday and they know how to get reimbursed from other insurance companies quite rapidly as well. I disagree with other post about keeping an eye on things I assume that they are referring to using the camper as nothing has happened. I know my family's lifes and other people's life's on the road mean way more to me than taking a chance on the integrity of a rv that could very well be compromised all so I can hopefully go enjoy the weekend. I am a guy that pulls my octane on very long trips and I won't listen to the radio as I am always listening for any strange noises. Wife doesn't care for that all that much lol . But I have seen way too many terrible things happen with towing trailers and everything with the truck and trailer were in perfect condition. Sorry for such a long post.
Thank you for your thoughts on this. I appreciate it.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:11 AM   #25

It happened in MI, a no fault state. sigh. I am still gateful we are all ok. I am still in awe that my husband pulled us thru that. We have seen several campers jack knifed and rolled on the side of the road in our time of camping. I always shudder and say a little prayer for them.

We took our Octane to a semi/ truck axle and spring repair that also fixes RV and has a good reputation. They said the frame has been twisted, and that the springs and axles were ok. We started a claim with our insurance and are waiting to hear from the adjuster. We will see if they want us to take it some where else. Also a tear in the wall has shown up where the wall appears buckled/bowed. I am sad but I hope they just say it is a loss. I don't think it will ever be the same. I am so anxious about it. ugh.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:15 AM   #26

Sorry to hear the extent of the damages to your unit. With regards to your insurance company in every policy that I have read they state pre loss condition is what they are responsible for getting you back to. I would be surprised if they didn't total it immediately. The cost of a frame change let alone other repairs and not to mention the future liability on the shop doing repairs and the insurance company. Straightening the frame I guess is always a option but that does not return you to pre loss condition. Once the steel is twisted and bent then twisted and bent when they pull it back into specs the frame has been compromised beyond what they could call pre loss condition. Demand top dollar for them to pay you for your unit not a trade in value or anything like that. I would demand full retail for the unit to be totaled.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:44 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1974 View Post
Sorry to hear the extent of the damages to your unit. With regards to your insurance company in every policy that I have read they state pre loss condition is what they are responsible for getting you back to. I would be surprised if they didn't total it immediately. The cost of a frame change let alone other repairs and not to mention the future liability on the shop doing repairs and the insurance company. Straightening the frame I guess is always a option but that does not return you to pre loss condition. Once the steel is twisted and bent then twisted and bent when they pull it back into specs the frame has been compromised beyond what they could call pre loss condition. Demand top dollar for them to pay you for your unit not a trade in value or anything like that. I would demand full retail for the unit to be totaled.
Thank you. That is what we are planning but you know how plans and reality collide. We plan to be nice and cooperative unless they are not nice and cooperative. I hope it does not come to that. We just got this camper last year. I really loved this camper. It was an amazing upgrade for us.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:58 AM   #28

I know exactly what you mean in regards to the camper. One thing that I have found out over the years dealing with insurance companies they want to act like they own your property in this case the trailer. You own it and it's your choice who works on it not there's. If they point you towards a shop to cobble the unit back together I would get my own opinion from a jayco dealer. Or better yet jayco service at the factory in Indiana I can't imagine a dealer wanting to fix a unit with such extensive damage. They would rather sell you a new one. I've witnessed insurance companies throw nickels around like they are man hole covers. I've also seen them treat people very fairly. Just depends on the company and the adjuster. If you don't get satisfaction from your insurance company if you have an agent contact them to fight on your behalf. It is there job to do that and a good agency will stick up for you with the insurance company. I have had a lot of dealings with insurance companies in my line of work for over the last 20+ years. Good luck.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:24 PM   #29

Thank you Ryan. much appreciated.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:51 AM   #30

The insurance company are calling it a total loss. We are just waiting to hear about the money. Fingers crossed that they are fair. I can not find a smiliar Octane for sale right now. We have all winter.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:15 AM   #31

I must have missed it somewhere. What kind of Octane is it?
Octane2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 02:24 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane2Go View Post
I must have missed it somewhere. What kind of Octane is it?
It was an awesome Octane! 2008 Octane ZX t26y. The frame seams were separated or torn apart too, in several places. I have to keep reminding myself that stuff is replacable and that we have nary a scratch. But I am sad to lose it, and worried we won't find another awesome one.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:50 AM   #33

just an update...the insurance company has been polite, professional and we feel that they gave us a fair amount. They are also documented us as not at fault and told us our rates will not go up.
But we are going to have to hunt for the perfect Octane.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:58 AM   #34

A friends brother wanted to buy the camper as a salvaged title camper. The insurance sold us the camper as a salvage and we are selling it. I did not even know this was a thing. He owns an auto-body repair shop and is going to fix the frame and axles, and use it for himself. Aesthetically, it is in near perfect condition. At first I wondered if we were being dumb selling it. But as much as it hurts, it is for the best. I sure hope we can find the next perfect for us camper.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:16 AM   #35

That’s great that your insurance company was good to deal with........
They say some of them are not.

Hope I never need to find out.
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote