Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-11-2017, 06:32 AM   #1

Almost rolled...

we had a serious near miss. A semi pulled into our lane a good 6 feet shy of what he needed and my husband swerved into the median to avoid being side swiped. we nearly rolled over. We are all safe and sound. Our 22 year old son and his gf were following and saw it happen. We were shookup but fine. That is what matters. The stuff is replacable. My loved ones are fine.
the semi did not even stop. The cops pulled him over but let him go. Apparently because he did not hit us, they did not site him. So my concerns for our camper. What to do? Octanes passenger side wheels lost contact with the ground while we swerved back and forth. We really almost did roll. it was scary. We lost the front driverside leveling jack, ground the emptying tank lines into the grass but they look ok. The tires appeared to have rubbed in the tire well on the driver side and they seem closer to the wheel well, while the passenger side wheels/tires are further away from the wheelwell. Surely a bad sign? The inside is not bad as we first thought. The stove and stove cupboard got ripped off the wall. But the fridge seems ok. Mostly concerned with the structure. What should we be looking at closely?
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:50 AM   #2

Time to trade it in but first fix the things you know are broken or in bad shape.
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodro123 View Post
Time to trade it in but first fix the things you know are broken or in bad shape.
we don't do the trade in thing. we paid cash for this used octane last year and love it. Gosh I hope this is not the only way to go. Thanks for the reply though.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:59 AM   #4

For a better opinion find a shop that you can trust to not rip you off and get a professional opinion about the damage or lack of. I for one could not trade it in knowing that there may be a structural issue and could result in someone being hurt or worse.
Sounds like it got pretty tweaked to tear the cabinet off the wall. I would also look at the springs and hangers to see if you can see any damage there since you say the wheels looks like they are in a different spot.
Good luck

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2022 Ford F-450 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:03 AM   #5
Site Team

Call your insurance company. Give them the name and insurance information of the driver that caused your incident. Even though a citation wasn't issued, you still may be able to receive payment for the damage caused to your trailer from their insurance company.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:04 AM   #6

Gonna be hard to find hidden damage. Look for separation between the walls and ceiling. Buckling in the floor. Maybe take a look on the roof to see if anything is obvious. Check all your plumbing for leaks and test all the electrics. Structural damage may be present but not obvious. Myself, I'd take it to a qualified shop.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNChelle View Post
For a better opinion find a shop that you can trust to not rip you off and get a professional opinion about the damage or lack of. I for one could not trade it in knowing that there may be a structural issue and could result in someone being hurt or worse.
Sounds like it got pretty tweaked to tear the cabinet off the wall. I would also look at the springs and hangers to see if you can see any damage there since you say the wheels looks like they are in a different spot.
Good luck
How to know they are a trustworthy shop? Ya know what I mean? It is hard to figure that stuff out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
Call your insurance company. Give them the name and insurance information of the driver that caused your incident. Even though a citation wasn't issued, you still may be able to receive payment for the damage caused to your trailer from their insurance company.
It is a no fault state. Seems weird to me, but what do I know. lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
Gonna be hard to find hidden damage. Look for separation between the walls and ceiling. Buckling in the floor. Maybe take a look on the roof to see if anything is obvious. Check all your plumbing for leaks and test all the electrics. Structural damage may be present but not obvious. Myself, I'd take it to a qualified shop.
Thank you. We would like to look for all these issues in advance of a repair shop inspection. we employ the trust but verify method with so many aspects of life. Car repairs to teenagers. trust but verify. And an incident like this could really be stretching our DIY knowledge and skills.
Thank you to each of you for your time and thoughtful replies.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:16 AM   #8
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
we had a serious near miss. A semi pulled into our lane a good 6 feet shy of what he needed and my husband swerved into the median to avoid being side swiped. we nearly rolled over. We are all safe and sound. Our 22 year old son and his gf were following and saw it happen. We were shookup but fine. That is what matters. The stuff is replacable. My loved ones are fine.
the semi did not even stop. The cops pulled him over but let him go. Apparently because he did not hit us, they did not site him. So my concerns for our camper. What to do? Octanes passenger side wheels lost contact with the ground while we swerved back and forth. We really almost did roll. it was scary. We lost the front driverside leveling jack, ground the emptying tank lines into the grass but they look ok. The tires appeared to have rubbed in the tire well on the driver side and they seem closer to the wheel well, while the passenger side wheels/tires are further away from the wheelwell. Surely a bad sign? The inside is not bad as we first thought. The stove and stove cupboard got ripped off the wall. But the fridge seems ok. Mostly concerned with the structure. What should we be looking at closely?
Don't ask for technical advice on a chat forum, especially where structural damage may have occurred. Have someone that is qualified look at it.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Don't ask for technical advice on a chat forum, especially where structural damage may have occurred. Have someone that is qualified look at it.
Thanks. As I said before, I am looking for other experienced RVers to offer insight prior to taking it to a shop. Online forums exist because people reach out for advice, and support. Technical and otherwise. It is more than a social experience.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:36 AM   #10

Accident Report

Did the officer file an accident report? If there was damage to your vehicle as a result of the other drivers actions then a report should have been filed. The fact that his vehicle did not contact yours is only evidence of your husbands good defensive driving and does not negate the actions of the truck driver. I suspect your insurance company will require a formal report in order to assist you, all though it may be worth a quick call to them.

If the officer did not file the report and your insurance company needs it then you will have to call and demand that one be created. You will likely need to speak to a supervisor at the detachment. Make sure that they understand that you are looking at potentially thousands of dollars in damage and that there were witnesses to the incident.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:37 AM   #11

So the good news is that it is raining and I have not found any leaks. And the stove cupboard did not get ripped off the wall. The counter top was lifted up and is loose. The body lines look strait. not obvious bulges or curves. all the easily seen inside seems and joints are intact. all the cupboards are perfect. and the happy jac beds went up and down without issue. all the water lines that are accessible in the cupboards seem to be leak free. Of course, there is still much to check. but that is my cursory assessment.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald One View Post
Did the officer file an accident report? If there was damage to your vehicle as a result of the other drivers actions then a report should have been filed. The fact that his vehicle did not contact yours is only evidence of your husbands good defensive driving and does not negate the actions of the truck driver. I suspect your insurance company will require a formal report in order to assist you, all though it may be worth a quick call to them.

If the officer did not file the report and your insurance company needs it then you will have to call and demand that one be created. You will likely need to speak to a supervisor at the detachment. Make sure that they understand that you are looking at potentially thousands of dollars in damage and that there were witnesses to the incident.
Thank you Griswalk for the thoughtful reply. That is what are thinking too. But the leo did not fill out a report. We got a card from the leo though. If we do go thru our insurance we will follow up with the officer.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:16 AM   #13

Octane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
Thank you Griswalk for the thoughtful reply. That is what are thinking too. But the leo did not fill out a report. We got a card from the leo though. If we do go thru our insurance we will follow up with the officer.
What year and model is your octane? I see you are from sylvania is that sylavania Ohio? The reason I ask is that if so you are not too far from the jayco factory in north east Indiana. They have factory service at that location. It sounds to me the unit got twisted pretty hard. Possibly a lot more damage than what you might think. Axles, holding tanks, possibly frame tweeked etc.. I myself would get your unit infront of someone who not only knows rvs very well but someone that has built or prepped alot of octanes. Jayco can set the trailer up completely level and take measurements and determine pretty quick how hard it was hit or twisted. In a case like this I would want a very highly trained technician that is very nit picky to spend some serious time inspecting my trailer. If they say all is good than you are good to go. If they were to hand me a estimate with unit needing major repairs I would contact my insurance and demand that it be concidered a total loss and have them write me a check for what the unit was worth prior to the accident.
I truly believe that jayco still makes a good quality product however I have seen terrible issues with rvs from other manufacturers falling apart going down the road without ever being involved in such an event as yours has. I myself in no way would trade unit off to an unsuspecting person or dealer. Your insurance company is liable to insure preloss condition of this unit and they can go after the truck driver if they choose after they settle up with you. Units that have seen action like yours should not be transported any further than to a qualified shop at low speeds until structural damage inspection has been completed. Just my opinion.
Ryan1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:17 AM   #14

Keeping a close eye on things is exactly what I would be doing........these things are built a lot stronger & better than we think.
Hopefully you have no real damage

Good Luck
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:27 AM   #15

curious did you have a WDH? or a centerline type WDH as it sounds like this thing just about went airborne... I agree with the above.. get it inspected by a qualified RV person or reputable shop... even though you had minimal damage outside by the leveler.. there could be more.. if nothing else get the information about that truck driver and anything that needs to be fixed needs to be paid for by them... not you...

My Octane came with the reese WDH sway control hitch.. man that is the only way to haul if you ask me... great bonus...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:37 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1974 View Post
What year and model is your octane? I see you are from sylvania is that sylavania Ohio? The reason I ask is that if so you are not too far from the jayco factory in north east Indiana. They have factory service at that location. It sounds to me the unit got twisted pretty hard. Possibly a lot more damage than what you might think. Axles, holding tanks, possibly frame tweeked etc.. I myself would get your unit infront of someone who not only knows rvs very well but someone that has built or prepped alot of octanes. Jayco can set the trailer up completely level and take measurements and determine pretty quick how hard it was hit or twisted. In a case like this I would want a very highly trained technician that is very nit picky to spend some serious time inspecting my trailer. If they say all is good than you are good to go. If they were to hand me a estimate with unit needing major repairs I would contact my insurance and demand that it be concidered a total loss and have them write me a check for what the unit was worth prior to the accident.
I truly believe that jayco still makes a good quality product however I have seen terrible issues with rvs from other manufacturers falling apart going down the road without ever being involved in such an event as yours has. I myself in no way would trade unit off to an unsuspecting person or dealer. Your insurance company is liable to insure preloss condition of this unit and they can go after the truck driver if they choose after they settle up with you. Units that have seen action like yours should not be transported any further than to a qualified shop at low speeds until structural damage inspection has been completed. Just my opinion.
Thank you for the thorough and kind reply. Thank you for the suggestion .
Old 10-11-2017, 09:38 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
curious did you have a WDH? or a centerline type WDH as it sounds like this thing just about went airborne... I agree with the above.. get it inspected by a qualified RV person or reputable shop... even though you had minimal damage outside by the leveler.. there could be more.. if nothing else get the information about that truck driver and anything that needs to be fixed needs to be paid for by them... not you...

My Octane came with the reese WDH sway control hitch.. man that is the only way to haul if you ask me... great bonus...
Yes, we use a WDH and friction anti sway bar.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:28 AM   #18

Glad to hear everyone is ok. I'm sure it's a moment no one wants to expierance
2015 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab, Traded in
Bluegill1
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:38 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegill1 View Post
Glad to hear everyone is ok. I'm sure it's a moment no one wants to expierance
that is the truth.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:58 AM   #20

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Glad to hear everyone is OK. In-expected things can happen on the road.
The suggestion with the insurance company is the way to go. The officer (must hate paperwork) should have made a proper report of the incident, because it seems the trucker (maybe not intentionally) was still at fault and created damage to your TT.
Glad you have the officer his card so the insurance company can deal with him.
Hope it all will work out for you. But have someone with mechanical knowledge check out your TT. If I was your neighbor I would have gladly helped with the checkup as I have experience over 50 years with RV's
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote