Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-31-2020, 12:21 PM   #1

Anyone Running all 3 A/Cs simultaneously?

So I’ve not seen anything saying you can’t and can. If you conserve power to all other 120 devices anyone run all 3 together without issues on the 50A ground power?

I’ve got a 2016 model 4112. There’s no power management system (like in a Cyclone). I’d like to give it a try this summer.

I’m thinking if you leave it in the “On” continuous position rather than thermostat “auto” you’re better off not having them put the huge strain of the motors starting, esp if two try at once that’s a sure way of exceeding the 50a.

Thanks!
P25ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 01:41 PM   #2

I have a friend who has 3 units on his 5th wheel and I think he can run all 3 off his generator. Not sure of the size of generator though.

I'll make an assumption that your rig came from the factory with 3 units. If so you would think they sized them to be able to operate from a 50 amp service.

Running continuously would be the smart choice to prevent the extra draw during start up. If you know your model numbers look up how much they pull continuously. My 11000 ones pull about 12 amps according to my management center. If yours are 15000 they will pull more.

If it were me I would just give it a try. The worst that can happen, in theory, is that the breaker will trip. You may also want to have a voltmeter hooked to a power outlet to watch the voltage level. If it drops a lot will all 3 on, it probably isn't a good idea to run 3. It will go down a bit but if it stays steady above 110 you are probably good to go.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 03:07 PM   #3

I run all three off the gen set or the 50amp Ac
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 04:31 PM   #4
Site Team

Do you know the btu rating of them. I'm guessing 13.5k.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Do you know the btu rating of them. I'm guessing 13.5k.

3x 15K
P25ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 05:54 AM   #6

On 50 Amp service, there's no issues running all 3. Remember, it's 50 Amps to each power line, so you're really getting a total of 100 Amps of 120V power. The generator is a different story as it's only 45 Amps total, 30 max to each power line. Practically, I've found on our 4114, that we can run all three on 50 Amp shore power, but not on the generator. The compressor starting load is too high and typically the converter load is as such it trips the 30 Amp breaker on the generator eventually. When that happens, you lose both A/C's and a bunch of other stuff.

In my opinion, the lack of a power management system is a big negative on the seismic line. I had it on a 1999 Winnebago motorhome and it worked flawlessly.

Camping nights: 2019 - Too many to count, 2020 - 3
BeachRetreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 01:24 PM   #7

Soft Starts

I'm in process of adding a third AC. I did add a soft start to the unit. The other two do not have soft starts. I ordered and will install when they arrive. Can I run all 3 if the other two do not have the soft starts?
patrickdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 03:40 PM   #8

We run all 3, 50A/Generator, it doesn't matter. We have the 5.5KW Genny and it handles everything without complaint.
Old 08-19-2023, 08:36 AM   #9

Electrically speaking comment. The standard for this FW is (2) 15Kbtu with an option for (3). Each of those units is around 12 amps at 120 volts. Since three units, just AC load would be 24 amps one leg and 12 amps the other, or 36 amps on a 48 amp at 120V rated generator. Hopefully, you have the Onan 5.5Kw unit that has (2) 30 amp breakers. The breakers are 60 amps to allow for some inrush and standard sizing for 80% rated breakers. So, gen running, you have approx 24 amps of AC on one 30A breaker. This is the maximum it will handle for running continually (3 hours or more). The other 30a breaker has 12 amps of possibly continuous AC load and 8 amps remaining.
So, can you run three on shore power? Absolutely. You have 100 amps of breaker at 120 volts. AC load is 36 amps running all three.
Can you run three on a 5.5Kw generator? Yes it’s possible if you use very little else. No microwave if all three are running!
If you are using electricity and overloading a breaker, each time it gets overloaded, it weakens the hold capacity of the breaker slightly. Over time, will trip quicker and quicker.
Kevin Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 02:29 PM   #10

I managed to install the third AC. I cannot get the bmpro to recognize it. I am also curious as to the specific location of the 5 18 gauge wires.
patrickdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 03:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Cooper View Post
Electrically speaking comment. The standard for this FW is (2) 15Kbtu with an option for (3). Each of those units is around 12 amps at 120 volts. Since three units, just AC load would be 24 amps one leg and 12 amps the other, or 36 amps on a 48 amp at 120V rated generator. Hopefully, you have the Onan 5.5Kw unit that has (2) 30 amp breakers. The breakers are 60 amps to allow for some inrush and standard sizing for 80% rated breakers. So, gen running, you have approx 24 amps of AC on one 30A breaker. This is the maximum it will handle for running continually (3 hours or more). The other 30a breaker has 12 amps of possibly continuous AC load and 8 amps remaining.
So, can you run three on shore power? Absolutely. You have 100 amps of breaker at 120 volts. AC load is 36 amps running all three.
Can you run three on a 5.5Kw generator? Yes it’s possible if you use very little else. No microwave if all three are running!
If you are using electricity and overloading a breaker, each time it gets overloaded, it weakens the hold capacity of the breaker slightly. Over time, will trip quicker and quicker.

I guess this is for me? You may be right, I don't think the fancy convection microwave has a whole hour of use. My bride loves to cook, and I love to eat lol. The microwave gets little use. I am electrical challenged and will take your word for it, it sure sounds very technical. The 3 AC units will cool the camper in little time, so if more electrical demand was needed, I guess i would shut one down. Speaking of the Genny, I recently changed the break in oil after almost 2.5 years of ownership. Not necessarily lazy, but it has a whole 3 hours on the Hobbs meter. I felt guilty more than anything else. So far, the entirety of hour camping experience has been in full "service" campgrounds. My bride calls it Glamping. She wants nice concrete pads, full 50A, water and sewer. My version of Boondocking is reading about it from lots of you fine folks here and in magazines. We just arrived at Carolina Pines RV resort at Conway, SC. What's more embarrassing is that I have never used the fresh water tank, and yes, I plan on filling it with water and and some bleach this fall and exercise the water pump.
BTW- the Genny runs on propane so no issues with stale gas.
Old 08-20-2023, 04:29 PM   #12

Jetlag, You are good to go! On shore power, “Let R Rip”.
Your wife’s glamping is different than mine! Her idea of how to properly use a Class A is, leave home on a trip, stay in a different place every night until you get back home. This is of course with no reservations made anywhere.
Enjoy staying cool in your rig!
Kevin Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote