Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-19-2020, 11:27 AM   #1

B&W hitches

We need to buy a hitch for the Seismic. The B&W 25K Companion OEM for Ford puck is one we saw at an RV show. It will go in a F-350 long bed. Should we buy the that or the Companion Slider for Ford Pucks? What is the difference besides the sliding mechanism? Appreciate your help.
Vfoote3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 12:21 PM   #2

You don’t need a slider hitch with an 8’ bed. We have an F-350 long bed with factory pucks and we use the B&W Companion 25K. Have only towed a handful of times with this setup but really like it so far. It’s on the heavy side so be prepared for that if/when you need to remove it. The articulating head is removable and that makes it easier to manage but it’s still pretty heavy. The Companion slider is designed for a short bed truck.
20 Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 12:34 PM   #3

thank you for the info. I forgot to ask, is there a cover to keep it covered when not in use. We don't want anything to get rusty. we're not planning to move the hitch. only using the truck to pull the 5er.
Vfoote3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 01:09 PM   #4

Glad to help. B&W does make covers for the hitches. I would check their web site or etrailer.com for options.
20 Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 06:14 AM   #5

Love our 25K Companion. Like 20 Penny said, you won't need the slider with a long bed, and the hitch is heavy. I was poking around the B&W site a few days ago and saw a cover that they make for the hitch.

We switched to the B&W from a Reese and there's a night and day difference in the quality of the hitch and the towing comfort.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 07:56 AM   #6

Agreed. Longbed, no slider needed.
Friend of mine also changed over from a basic Reese hitch to a B&W on my advise and said it is night and day difference. Couldnt believe it.
As far as a cover goes, I have a Trifecta Tonneau cover on my bed. I fold it open, secure it, hook up and go. Rarely do I ever have to take the cover off the bed to keep the trailer from contacting it. Those situations are when I'm trying to back it on a site that's a real tight spot and the ground is not very level. Otherwise, if its flat ground I can cut it 90* and still have clearance between the two. And when I do have to take it off, it's light, only takes a couple of minutes and one person can do it.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:38 AM   #7

Agree with everyone! You don't need a slider. As for a hitch cover, I have tonneau cover on my long bed that keeps the hitch out of the weather when not towing. However, when it is time to pick up the Christmas trees and later for hauling the trees to the recycle pile, I cover my hitch with a tarp to keep the needles out of the locking jaws. I learned the hard way the first year that it is not fun cleaning the needles out. For this reason I have been looking at a cover on Amazon for about $30. Here is the link. Safe travels!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004LF15QI...v_ov_lig_dp_it

RVing all my life......1st Jayco
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 03:41 PM   #8

Cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vfoote3 View Post
We need to buy a hitch for the Seismic. The B&W 25K Companion OEM for Ford puck is one we saw at an RV show. It will go in a F-350 long bed. Should we buy the that or the Companion Slider for Ford Pucks? What is the difference besides the sliding mechanism? Appreciate your help.
Amazon has a fifth wheel hitch cover that is awesome........think it is around $20.00

Let me know if you are interested and I’ll look up part number.

I was suprised how well it’s made.

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
2016 F350 Lariat CC LB dually 6.7
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote