Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-29-2017, 02:15 PM   #1

Batteries in series or parallel?

Hello all,

I have a question that I've searched in the forums but can't find the answer. I have a 2016 Seismic Wave 355 with two 12v batteries. They're currently wired in series and that's they way I received it, I purchased this unit used. I'm trying to figure out if that's they way they should be or should they be wired in parallel? If they're wired correctly in parallel, then do I need two battery chargers to charge each battery? Or can I just use one and charge it by putting the negative on one battery and the positive on the other battery? Did that make sense? ha

I thank you for your assistance in advance.
Old 10-29-2017, 02:21 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morfoot View Post
Hello all,

I have a question that I've searched in the forums but can't find the answer. I have a 2016 Seismic Wave 355 with two 12v batteries. They're currently wired in series and that's they way I received it, I purchased this unit used. I'm trying to figure out if that's they way they should be or should they be wired in parallel? If they're wired correctly in parallel, then do I need two battery chargers to charge each battery? Or can I just use one and charge it by putting the negative on one battery and the positive on the other battery? Did that make sense? ha

I thank you for your assistance in advance.
If indeed 12-volt batteries, I have never seen or heard of them being wired in series. That would create a 24-volt battery bank and would damage any 12-volt appliance or light fixture.

Can you attach a picture of the batteries and connections to let us take a look?
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 02:29 PM   #3

2-12v batteries should always be wired in parallel. With one cables between the 2 batteries positive to positive and and the other cable negative to negative.
Old 10-29-2017, 02:32 PM   #4

WOW, that was a quick response! Thank you. Here is a photo of my batteries. This is in series correct? The negative of one battery connected to the positive of the other battery?
Old 10-29-2017, 02:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morfoot View Post
WOW, that was a quick response! Thank you. Here is a photo of my batteries. This is in series correct? The negative of one battery connected to the positive of the other battery?
I'm not seeing the photo...are you?
Old 10-29-2017, 02:40 PM   #6

Did this work?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1950.jpg  
Morfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 02:48 PM   #7

Those are 6-volt batteries, I only see 3 cells per battery. If that is the case, they do indeed need to be wired in series to make a 12-volt battery bank.

They can be charged (as a pair) with a 12-volt charger, you need to connect the charger leads to the positive terminal where the wiring leads to the system, and to the negative terminal where it is grounded to the trailer chassis.
Old 10-29-2017, 02:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
Those are 6-volt batteries, I only see 3 cells per battery. If that is the case, they do indeed need to be wired in series to make a 12-volt battery bank.

They can be charged (as a pair) with a 12-volt charger, you need to connect the charger leads to the positive terminal where the wiring leads to the system, and to the negative terminal where it is grounded to the trailer chassis.
Rob you are the man and if you can't tell...total newbie here ! Thank you and I'll hook my battery tender up and charge away. I thank you and everyone else in this forum!!!
Old 10-29-2017, 03:11 PM   #9

See attached picture showing where a 12-volt battery charger should be connected.

I'm sure you are going to replace the positive terminal's securing nut prior to charging or use. If you are planning to remove the batteries from the trailer and charge them with a 12-volt charger you need to retain the jumper connection and charge them with the pair wired in series.
Attached Thumbnails
Battery charger connections.jpg  
Old 10-29-2017, 04:04 PM   #10

You are the man!!!

Ha, yes I already replaced it. I took the batteries out and before I did I took a photo of them so I was positive on the way to hook them back up. This is really the first time I've ever posted in a forum and the quick response and knowledge is fantastic!

Thanks everyone