Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-27-2019, 03:10 PM   #1

Battery care

What is the proper battery care procedures for my toy hauler battery ? We got the trailer last spring and the battery didn't seem to hold charge very good so I checked the water and it was good . I left it hooked to shore power any time it was sitting not being used at home so after we used it for the last time in the fall I checked it and some of the cells were cooked dry. Doesn't the converter kick off when the battery is charged ? I was thinking about putting a battery disconnect switch on so it can only charge when I turn it on.
Volusiacrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 03:16 PM   #2

Unfortunately the converters supplied by the manufacturers aren't great. They may be advertised as a "smart" converter, meaning they change their voltages based on the battery's needs, but many of them are dumb smart converters and don't in fact do what they're supposed to, when they're supposed to.

If you're going to leave your trailer plugged in while in storage, your best bet would be to purchase an aftermarket converter from Progressive Dynamics. These will not cook your battery and will take good care of them. They are smart smart converters.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:14 PM   #3
Site Team

I have had Progressive Dynamic on my last 2 rigs and they do a great job of keeping the battery exercised as they should be.

Plugged in all the time. I check the battery water levels 2-3 times a year.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 05:42 PM   #4

Consider a battery cutoff switch and using a Battery Tender JR. or equivalent to keep your battery charged. If you put it in storage you can take the battery home and use the battery tender to keep it going. Works great on my small tractor battery.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:00 PM   #5

I take my battery out of the TT and put it in the garage. I purchased a battery tender at Costco a couple of years ago and pleased with it..
Tow Vehicle 2013 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Limited
Cubfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
Consider a battery cutoff switch and using a Battery Tender JR. or equivalent to keep your battery charged. If you put it in storage you can take the battery home and use the battery tender to keep it going. Works great on my small tractor battery.
I was sort of thinking of going this route. Any suggestions of a cutoff switch ?
Volusiacrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 06:40 PM   #7

I bought one that had a key? gizmo, bored a hole in my battery case installed it and it broke after the 3rd or 4th use.

So I got this one
Cllena Battery Disconnect Switch Cut-off Terminal Link for Car Truck Auto Vehicle Parts from Amazon $9 Super simple to use and install except I have to take off the battery case to get to it. Still worth it as the CO detector and whatever else wears out the battery in only a few days while sitting.

If we are at a dry camp and going to be gone for the day it is so easy to pop off the lid and save a few amps.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote