Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-27-2019, 12:31 AM   #1

Broken Spring Hanger

Just got back from a trip to Glamis. Had a spring hanger break on the way down.
Fortunately was able to get a mobile welder to come out to where I was stranded and weld the hanger back in place. That was on a Sunday afternoon.
Took the trailer to the welders shop on Tuesday and had them box in all the spring hangers to strengthen and hopefully won't have this experience again any time soon.
Highly recommend boxing in spring hangers to reinforce. Seems like I've seen a few spring hanger failures posted on here.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/a...1&d=1548570622
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2438.jpg  
Old 01-27-2019, 09:58 AM   #2

Turtle Tim I am with you on getting these reinforced. We have the same year and model and while we have not experienced this failure YET I can see it being an issue in future based on other posts I have seen.
Clearly Jayco has an issue here and given the dangers this type of failure could pose IMO they should be issuing a voluntary “fix” for this.
This along with landing gear pin isses and our roof truss failure does not instill a great deal of confidence for me in the overall build and robustness of this model. I know every manufacturer isnt perfect but these structural issues are very concerning for sure and makes one wonder if this model is best suited to be a permanent park model instead.
Wilsonbryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 12:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsonbryk View Post
Turtle Tim I am with you on getting these reinforced. We have the same year and model and while we have not experienced this failure YET I can see it being an issue in future based on other posts I have seen.
Clearly Jayco has an issue here and given the dangers this type of failure could pose IMO they should be issuing a voluntary “fix” for this.
This along with landing gear pin isses and our roof truss failure does not instill a great deal of confidence for me in the overall build and robustness of this model. I know every manufacturer isnt perfect but these structural issues are very concerning for sure and makes one wonder if this model is best suited to be a permanent park model instead.
I agree that it appears that there is some under engineered parts on these RV's, or minimal designs to save cost. I use a grade 8 bolt in my front landing gear adjustment holes to "catch" it in case I have the front landing gear failure many have experienced.
I was lucky this happened during the day. I caught it right away when I saw smoke in my mirror. Did not feel anything, just saw smoke and pulled right over. If it happened at night the outcome could have been quite a different story.
BTW....I checked all the spring hangers before I left on this trip. Did not see any cracks or broken welds. I also avoid sharp turns if at all possible because of the stress it puts on the suspension parts.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:53 PM   #4

Sounds alll too familiar! I do exact the same thing for the front landing gear and cringe in cases of sharp turns that are unavoidable to back into a spot. I to do everything to avoid that.
Based on your post and the fact that you did not see anything pre-trip I am going to take my rig to my certified welder buddy who has his own business and get him to reinforce all of the hangers At least I will get the “buddy” rate as opposed to the not so buddy rate on the side of the highway.
Still very disappointing to have to address this on a rig where you would expect to not have to worry about these items.
Have you sent anything directly to Jayco or through your dealer to them on this?
Old 01-27-2019, 09:42 PM   #5

No, I haven't communicated with Jayco or the selling dealer. I wouldn't trust the local Jayco dealer to change the oil in my lawn mower. I have all my RV work done at a local independent dealer that I've worked with for years.
I'm almost a year out of warranty and do not expect Jayco to do anything. I had a wheel go bad (leaking air) on a trip to Moab a couple years ago and it took over 9 months for Jayco to reimburse me for my out of pocket expense. Not too impressed with Jayco customer service.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:46 AM   #6

Agreed however it might be a good idea to document this to them anyway. That way at least they can't say they were not aware of it and if enough people do this it may get their attention.
Safe to say you saw this thread ?: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...lem-63595.html
Bigger rig...same issue.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:47 PM   #7

It is also a good idea to file a report with the nhtsa (https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/). If there are enough problems and/or they deem it a severe safety concern, they could force a recall. Or if nothing else, they could encourage Jayco to improve their suspension. That may not do current owners any good but may save some headaches for future owners.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:26 AM   #8

Spring hangers. NTSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by theracqueteer View Post
It is also a good idea to file a report with the nhtsa (https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/). If there are enough problems and/or they deem it a severe safety concern, they could force a recall. Or if nothing else, they could encourage Jayco to improve their suspension. That may not do current owners any good but may save some headaches for future owners.
I reported our issue in February 2017, never heard from NTSB. Lippert Paid the $900 bill thru warranty and refused to acknowledge any fault. They said abuse was cause? What......Jayco has not improved the suspension...no surprise here.
Attached Thumbnails
66BF1ED9-7D70-42AA-AA1E-7BA4BA2C238D.jpg   0EA17892-C958-4DBE-ACC0-1B7A0594D3BF.jpg   59D4A88F-2F77-4B3F-BBBA-D008BAA0172B.jpg  
2015 Jayco Sesimic 4212 Extreme Weather Package, Dual Pane Windows, Side and rear Patios, 480 watt Zamp Solar Pkg, 6 - 6 volt AGM batteries, Residential Fridge, custom Dishwasher, 5500 watt Onan and lot of problems.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...albums843.html Check this out.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...s-34672-3.html
Loboclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 05:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loboclone View Post
I reported our issue in February 2017, never heard from NTSB. Lippert Paid the $900 bill thru warranty and refused to acknowledge any fault. They said abuse was cause? What......Jayco has not improved the suspension...no surprise here.
How many gussets did you weld on each of the hanger brackets, one or two? From your picture I can't tell if one is welded on the inside of the bracket also.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:31 PM   #10

2 gussets per spring hanger. Just added wet bolt kit also.
2015 Jayco Sesimic 4212 Extreme Weather Package, Dual Pane Windows, Side and rear Patios, 480 watt Zamp Solar Pkg, 6 - 6 volt AGM batteries, Residential Fridge, custom Dishwasher, 5500 watt Onan and lot of problems.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...albums843.html Check this out.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...s-34672-3.html
Loboclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:19 PM   #11

On mine, I only had 1 side boxed in, the outside. The welder said that boxing in on both sides would make it too rigid, and boxed in on one side would significantly strengthen it. He was very experienced so I yielded to his recommendation.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loboclone View Post
2 gussets per spring hanger. Just added wet bolt kit also.

Thanks for the info.

[ On mine, I only had 1 side boxed in, the outside. The welder said that boxing in on both sides would make it too rigid, and boxed in on one side would significantly strengthen it. He was very experienced so I yielded to his recommendation.]

Tim, just to be clear, when you say boxed, you had a gusset welded on the outside, front and back, of each bracket?
Old 03-27-2019, 07:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by theracqueteer View Post
Thanks for the info.

[ On mine, I only had 1 side boxed in, the outside. The welder said that boxing in on both sides would make it too rigid, and boxed in on one side would significantly strengthen it. He was very experienced so I yielded to his recommendation.]

Tim, just to be clear, when you say boxed, you had a gusset welded on the outside, front and back, of each bracket?
They welded a metal plate between the two vertical pieces of the spring hanger as a gusset. Did this only on one side.
Trailer is in storage, otherwise, I would take a photo and post it.
Minimizes the flex in the two vertical parts of the hanger.
I believe the flexing of the hangers is what causes stress at the bends where the hanger is welded to the frame and leads to eventual failure at the bend.
Old 03-28-2019, 06:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle Tim View Post
They welded a metal plate between the two vertical pieces of the spring hanger as a gusset. Did this only on one side.
Trailer is in storage, otherwise, I would take a photo and post it.
Minimizes the flex in the two vertical parts of the hanger.
I believe the flexing of the hangers is what causes stress at the bends where the hanger is welded to the frame and leads to eventual failure at the bend.

Thanks for the info. If you don't mind taking a photo when you get it out of storage and posting, I would appreciate it. We are on the road now and by the time we get home and I can get started on this project it would probably be the middle of May.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:24 AM   #15

Yes would like to see these pics too Gents as we also have a 355W and I plan to do this modification this spring as well to avoid be stuck on the side of the highway.
Thanks!
Old 03-28-2019, 08:57 PM   #16

I might get out there this weekend to check on it and run the genny for a while. Will get some pics if I do.
Old 03-29-2019, 06:35 AM   #17

I spoke with a trust trailer guy myself about all this. And he told me too, that they need to be able to flex sum to avoid breaking off. I try to be proactive on repairs myself. And I also try and keep my trailer out of bad positions that can lead to breakage or future weakness. Thank u guys for ur info. Just please dont forget to report back if ur fix didnt work as intended or could have lead to another possible issue. I have a talon, tandem, and my best bud has a seismic, triple, that will be watching this closely.
Brooksb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 05:23 PM   #18

Here is 3 photos of mine. Dont know why they came out sideways?

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/a...1&d=1553901435

First pic is the outside where I had it boxed for support.
Second pic is from the inside, which has no extra support welded in.
Third pic is a close up from the inside.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2086.jpg   IMG_2087.jpg   IMG_2090.jpg  
Old 03-30-2019, 06:32 AM   #19

Thanks Tim, it is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-31-2019, 08:13 AM   #20

That’s perfect.... thanks for posting these!