Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-07-2014, 09:13 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: oneonta ny
Posts: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chata View Post
If I were you I would call Jayco and try to have Champion exchanged for Onan if possible, Champion is Chinese made generator, extremely unreliable, do some research, look up reviews, Onan is made by Cummins, same grade as Honda or Yamaha
I agree with the champion being a POS. I figureed it was
chinese without even checking. I refused the whole trailer because it came with the "espresso" (dark) color woodwork when I specifically said I wanted "cherry" colored woodwork. Not being a Jayco salesman I didnt know the espresso was the default unless "heritage mocha" wood was specified. They offered $1,000 off to take the trailer without the cheap genny that came with it, which I would have done, if the wood was correct, and put the money towards a honda to go on the tongue rack. Well, no problem for the salesman. Just a matter of me waiting again. Grumpy, I looked at a "non-superlite" ocatane that was next to mine in the lot that had the built in Onan and it was in a front compartment under the floor with access from the side. The whole enclosure was lined with sheet metal. Not something that could be retrofitted after manufacture I'm sure. I'm still trying to find out if that gen. is available in the ultra-lite octanes.
__________________

rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:00 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Burley
Posts: 64
I'm sure it is. that option was almost a $3000 option no way that could be just championing the box. I bet the dealer put it in there. I bet it was not the factory I would call a different dealer if it was me make sure there are being honest.
__________________

__________________

Jayflight 2014 RLDS
2012 Ford F250 6.7 4x4
Idahoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 11:03 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Where ever the boss says we're going.
Posts: 5,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahoboy View Post
I'm sure it is. that option was almost a $3000 option no way that could be just championing the box. I bet the dealer put it in there. I bet it was not the factory I would call a different dealer if it was me make sure there are being honest.
The Onan is almost $5,000.
__________________
DISNEY LOVERS
PINNACLE 2015 38FLSA. aka: "Roam Sweet Home"
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 11:08 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Castro Valley
Posts: 222
I bet the dealer received this trailer, saw it had no generator, and figured he could trick you by throwing in a cheap champion. Great way for him to make some serious extra money! It also didn't have the color you ordered. I wonder if he really ordered your trailer or knew he was getting this one and figured he would blame the color on jayco and throw in a cheap generator to cheat you...
__________________
2015 Jay Flight 26 BHS Elite with 320 watts of Solar from AM Solar
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax

ddrueckh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 03:02 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Southwest Florida
Posts: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrueckh View Post
I bet the dealer received this trailer, saw it had no generator, and figured he could trick you by throwing in a cheap champion. Great way for him to make some serious extra money! It also didn't have the color you ordered. I wonder if he really ordered your trailer or knew he was getting this one and figured he would blame the color on jayco and throw in a cheap generator to cheat you...
Rick, I had similar thoughts as ddrueckh. That's a WHOLE LOT LESS than I would expect from a reputable dealer. It sounds like they took your consumer choices away and made others to benefit themselves.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 03:47 PM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Burley
Posts: 64
I'm not sure if I would use this dealer.. Either he was honest and if that is the case he sucks a dealer if he doesn't know something that simple. Or Like I stated before he was trying to take advantage of the situation. But I'm Pretty sure I wouldn't use him. If he is that dishonest at the beginning Of the buying cycle what will his service be like on the back end
__________________

Jayflight 2014 RLDS
2012 Ford F250 6.7 4x4
Idahoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:18 PM   #17
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: NEA
Posts: 10
I looked over a bunch of pictures of the 273 model and watched a couple walk-arounds on Youtube. I don't see an outside compartment that looks large enough to hold the 4kW Onan. None of the control panels have the switches for the generator and there is also no fill neck for the tank on the outside. All of the regular octane line comes prepped for the generator with the above items as standard and only the generator itself is added. I know this from my recent experience described below. The only pics I could find with a generator on a superlite showed it mounted across the tongue behind the propane bottles, where I typically see the battery rack and it wasn't the Onan.

None of the regular octane models that come with the Onan list it as "self-contained" so I am thinking that is describing the generator itself meaning it is independent (or self-contained) from the RV rather than integrated. I hope that I am wrong for your sake.

I will call the new dealer I just ordered my Octane from and ask tomorrow, they have been very knowledgeable so far but also quick to call their Jayco rep to answer any questions I had they didn't know.

I joined the forum just to reply here because it sounds very similar to my recent experience. I ordered an Octane T31B back in October and when I went to pick it up in November it was the wrong color interior and had NO generator along with a few other mistakes. The build sheet I filled out when placing the order only had like 8-9 options and half of them were wrong on this unit. I suspect they didn't actually order mine but already had one in the pipeline that they tried to push off on me. They then tried to get me to agree to take a cheap Chinese 1800W in a box along with the WD hitch I had already purchased in exchange for the Onan option. They tried to tell me that the 1800W was more than enough to run everything I would ever need in a trailer this size. I could clearly see the prices of all 3 items right in front of me and they wanted to swap the Onan for two items that totaled less than half the value. ($1100 for the genny and $500 for the hitch) I'll skip the roughly 4 hours of negotiating they tried to do. I kindly asked for me nonrefundable deposit back, canceled the order and drove home empty handed. Was a wasted 500 mile round trip. I then went to a dealer that is actually closer to home and placed an order for another one the next day.

I am actually glad that it worked out the way it did because I feel MUCH better about my dealings so far with the new dealer, this will be my first RV and it wasn't starting off as a great experience.

Good luck with your new order Rick, I hope it comes in as expected. I will reply tomorrow when I hear back from my dealer.

-3B
tripleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 05:50 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Southwest Florida
Posts: 748
tripleB, ... very nice post, lots of good information. You got me wondering. I went to Jayco's site and checked-out the regular Octane site and the generator option does not say "self contained". So, apparently "self contained" means you're getting a generator of their choice in a box. It fooled you and Rick, and probably others. It's a marketing issue that needs to be changed.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:50 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: oneonta ny
Posts: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleB View Post
I looked over a bunch of pictures of the 273 model and watched a couple walk-arounds on Youtube. I don't see an outside compartment that looks large enough to hold the 4kW Onan. None of the control panels have the switches for the generator and there is also no fill neck for the tank on the outside. All of the regular octane line comes prepped for the generator with the above items as standard and only the generator itself is added. I know this from my recent experience described below. The only pics I could find with a generator on a superlite showed it mounted across the tongue behind the propane bottles, where I typically see the battery rack and it wasn't the Onan.

None of the regular octane models that come with the Onan list it as "self-contained" so I am thinking that is describing the generator itself meaning it is independent (or self-contained) from the RV rather than integrated. I hope that I am wrong for your sake.

I will call the new dealer I just ordered my Octane from and ask tomorrow, they have been very knowledgeable so far but also quick to call their Jayco rep to answer any questions I had they didn't know.

I joined the forum just to reply here because it sounds very similar to my recent experience. I ordered an Octane T31B back in October and when I went to pick it up in November it was the wrong color interior and had NO generator along with a few other mistakes. The build sheet I filled out when placing the order only had like 8-9 options and half of them were wrong on this unit. I suspect they didn't actually order mine but already had one in the pipeline that they tried to push off on me. They then tried to get me to agree to take a cheap Chinese 1800W in a box along with the WD hitch I had already purchased in exchange for the Onan option. They tried to tell me that the 1800W was more than enough to run everything I would ever need in a trailer this size. I could clearly see the prices of all 3 items right in front of me and they wanted to swap the Onan for two items that totaled less than half the value. ($1100 for the genny and $500 for the hitch) I'll skip the roughly 4 hours of negotiating they tried to do. I kindly asked for me nonrefundable deposit back, canceled the order and drove home empty handed. Was a wasted 500 mile round trip. I then went to a dealer that is actually closer to home and placed an order for another one the next day.

I am actually glad that it worked out the way it did because I feel MUCH better about my dealings so far with the new dealer, this will be my first RV and it wasn't starting off as a great experience.

Good luck with your new order Rick, I hope it comes in as expected. I will reply tomorrow when I hear back from my dealer.

-3B
Thanks for all that info. Seems to be a lot of less than acceptable dealers around for these. I'm kind of stuck with this dealer for a few reasons. Of course if it gets to bad I'll bag the whole thing. As far as the superlite having a space for the Onan, it has. Next to mine in the lot was a regular octane with the built in Onan. Both trailers had the same space in the front of the trailer below the floor with outside access. The 273 superlite just had this area as a storage space. The outside access panels were the same size. I had a tape with me. They just had a grill cut into the upper half of the panel on the one with the genny and the compartment was lined with sheet metal. I guess they would just cut in a filler neck, but I didnt pay attention the that when I was looking at them. At this point, I just want the 273 with the cherry colored "heritage mocha" wood ,and I'll get a 5500 watt honda for the tongue rack. I dont know why this has to be so complicated. I'm going to call the dealer today. They just dont seem to be able to return my phone calls. They said they had some 273's ordered for stock and I just want them to see if any were ordered with heritage mocha wood and the other options I wanted (fuel station, power tongue jack).I just cant seem to get that answer out of them.
rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:27 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Where ever the boss says we're going.
Posts: 5,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick danger View Post
ng. As far as the superlite having a space for the Onan, it has. Next to mine in the lot was a regular octane with the built in Onan. Both trailers had the same space in the front of the trailer below the floor with outside access. The 273 superlite just had this area as a storage space. The outside access panels were the same size. I had a tape with me. They just had a grill cut into the upper half of the panel on the one with the genny and the compartment was lined with sheet metal.
The weight that the Onan, fuel tank and 18 gals of fuel would add could be the issue since it is classified as a lighter unit.
__________________

__________________
DISNEY LOVERS
PINNACLE 2015 38FLSA. aka: "Roam Sweet Home"
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.