Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-08-2014, 08:11 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
The weight that the Onan, fuel tank and 18 gals of fuel would add could be the issue since it is classified as a lighter unit.
Well, yeah. Thats what the dealer was supposed to be finding out from Jayco. He (the dealer) did mention that. I just dont know why it takes so long to get the answer to a seemingly simple question. Also, why is "self contained" gen. listed as an option for the 273 superlite? Seems misleading if they are just referring to the fact that the generator is self contained with no conection to the trailer for fuel etc........

rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 01:24 PM   #22

For sure "stand-alone" would have been more accurate than self-contained. More importantly is to know that 3500 watt champion can be had from Costco for $649.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:12 PM   #23

Danger, I contacted my dealer today and they in turn contacted Jayco directly to get confirmation. The word they got back from Jayco was this: The Onan brand generator is currently the only generator model offered by Jayco for the entire Octane line including the SuperLites. The 273 SL model does indeed have an option to come with an Onan installed inside the front left (driver) corner just like the regular Octane models. Given this information I would fully anticipate your newly ordered model to come in as you expected originally.

*Obviously this is second hand information since I didn't talk to Jayco directly but rather through my dealer. What they didn't confirm is why it is called "self-contained". My dealer said that typically means the generator can be removed or relocated and still function properly because the fuel tank, exhaust, etc is all part of the generator itself and not separate on the RV as it is with the model I ordered. This would seem to line up with the 4 gallon fuel tank listed on the 273SL model as opposed to the 18 gallon tank listed on my T31B.

Hopefully this information helps.

-3B
tripleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:40 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleB View Post

Hopefully this information helps.

-3B
Thanks. It does help. And thanks for going through the trouble to find out for me. What I dont get though, is if you go on the jayco web page and click options, it just lists the "self contained" 3500 watt generator. No mention of an Onan. I'm going to try calling the dealer again tomorrow. Funny how your dealer had no problem getting an answer from
jayco, and mine just cant seem to.
by the way, do you mind my asking what the built in Onan option cost on your T31b?
Old 12-08-2014, 07:46 PM   #25

You are correct, none of the Octane line list it as an Onan, even the T31B I ordered just says 4000W generator.

The build sheet (Revision Date of Oct 24, 2014) I was given to fill out with all the options available on the Octane has it listed as "4000 Watt Generator" @ $2916.

However, the Superlites might cost slightly more because the Generator Prep is part of the standard "Customer Value Package" on the T31B so it already has the fuel tank and fill neck cut in, controls inside in the panel, electrical boxes wired into the enclosure in the front left corner etc. and that option is another $3148. The generator prep items might only be added to the SL models when the generator is actually ordered and so that cost might be rolled into the price of the generator option itself.

-3B
Old 12-08-2014, 08:02 PM   #26

Wow, not a cheap option. A 5000 watt honda for $1,679 is starting to look better. Well, I'll see what the dealer says........if anything
Old 12-08-2014, 08:16 PM   #27

As I mentioned earlier the 5500 & prep was $4,950.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:26 PM   #28

Yea, I agree on the price. I debated this for a while. My alternative was to pick up a pair of the Honda EU3000is Inverter generators. They are extremely quiet and can be paralleled. That way I would have 6000W total if ever needed but when not could just run a single unit and save on fuel. This also gave redundancy in the even one generator failed I still had half power. Also being an inverter style they are extremely quiet when not fully loaded since they vary their RPM based on load. This is not possible with a typical alternator end like the Onan which has to run at a constant 3600 RPM in order to put out 60Hz AC voltage. This makes for a louder generator at all load levels. I will still likely end up with a Honda in the future but liked that with the Onan option it is covered under the initial 2yr Warranty of the RV.

-3B
Old 12-09-2014, 04:07 AM   #29

tripleB, I agree completely with your thinking about paralleled generators now, but I didn't always feel that way. We are back in a TT after being in a MH (Greyhawk) that had an on-board generator. It sure was nice to just press the start button and never have to lift or add gas to the generator.

Now that I have the back of the TV, the portable generators are the better choice for us.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:42 AM   #30

If I go with the portable honda I'm going to need to do some research. Never having had an rv. What is the advantage to getting one (or two) with built in inverter? I thought the trailer already had one. Let me tell you how I thought it would work, and maybe you can tell me the error of my ways I figured just plug the gen. 110v output into the same place the trailer shore power goes. I was also looking to get a bank of golf cart batteries and connect them to the same place the house battery is connected. I'm planning to do a lot of boondocking. Will I need a larger converter for a bank of batteries? Here are some links I was looking at http://www.electricgeneratordepot.com/checkout/cart/ http://www.batteriesinaflash.com/dee...ud0aApRD8P8HAQ http://www.kissmygrits.net/factory-r...ocking-part-2/