Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-05-2014, 05:29 PM   #1

Built in genny

Anyone have a self contained/built in generator in their Octane ? If so, is it an Onan? I ordered one for my octane 273 and it came with a "champion" portable generator sitting inside in a box. The dealer said he isnt sure the octanes can be had with a self contained generator. I'm waiting to hear from him on it. After waiting 2 months it came with the wrong color wood cabinets and a portable gen. Now I have to reorder it and wait again.
rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 07:02 PM   #2

i had a 2009 octane that had a 4000 watt onan built in . had to install rubber isolators to help with felt vibration . worked great . not sure of all changes that have been made since , this model was the smallest one they offered back then .
2013 Can am commander 1000 cc camo xt. 2003 Harley Davidson road king
slaw32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 07:30 PM   #3

Jayco's site is listing a 4000 watt generator as an option on the Octane.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheGo View Post
Jayco's site is listing a 4000 watt generator as an option on the Octane.
The 273 is the Super Lite and it lists a 3,500 watt "self contained" geny, not the 4000 Onan. The regular Octane gets the Onan.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:00 AM   #5

Thanks, Grumpy. That's the first time I've been to the Octane page and I missed the Super-Lite.

Rick, here's a link to the 273 page on Jayco'S site: http://www.jayco.com/products/toy-ha...uper-lite/273/

There is a "Configure and Price" section available to you there. I have always found it helpful in that I usually knew more about the TT I was looking at buying than the sales rep. In their behalf, it would be difficult for them to know everything about every RV they sell. It felt good to me to be a couple of steps ahead of them and knowing exactly what I was about to buy.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:15 AM   #6

Thanks all. I saw the "self contained" 3500 watt gen. option on the configure and options. They dont say if its an Onan. I was supposed to be getting a "self contained" generator on the one I ordered and it came with a champion gen. in a box inside the trailer. The dealer did say he wasnt sure if the "superlites" would come with a built in generator. But wouldnt you think "self contained" meant built in? There was an octane (not the superlite) next to mine in the lot and it had the built in Onan in it. It was the 26' one. I dont remember the model.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:59 PM   #7

Yes, I do think "self contained" means built in. If it didn't, you should have had a say on what generator was being delivered. (Just curious, was the one in the box 3500 watts?)

When we bought the X23B we have now, I had the dealer scan and email the sticker before we would see the trailer. I'll do that again if there are future TT / RV purchases.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheGo View Post
Yes, I do think "self contained" means built in. If it didn't, you should have had a say on what generator was being delivered. (Just curious, was the one in the box 3500 watts?)

When we bought the X23B we have now, I had the dealer scan and email the sticker before we would see the trailer. I'll do that again if there are future TT / RV purchases.
The "Champion" generator that was in a box inside the trailer was 4000 "peak" watts and 3500 (regular?)watts. Just another game they play like amps and HP on power tools. They want to show you a big number so they came up with "peak"
Old 12-07-2014, 07:23 AM   #9

If I were you I would call Jayco and try to have Champion exchanged for Onan if possible, Champion is Chinese made generator, extremely unreliable, do some research, look up reviews, Onan is made by Cummins, same grade as Honda or Yamaha
Old 12-07-2014, 07:24 AM   #10

Unfortunately this is another case of a dealer(salesman) not checking on what was included. He/she could have easily contacted JAYCO or their sales rep for clarification. JAYCO shipped what is spec'd. The online info clearly states 3500 watt self contained and the tank capacity info shows a 4 gal fuel tank for the geny. If you look at the units that show 4000 watt geny's they have 18 gal geny fuel tanks. To me that is a red flag right there.

The other thing that should have been checked, where would the geny be installed? It would have had to be a fairly large outside storage compartment with a removable floor.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chata View Post
If I were you I would call Jayco and try to have Champion exchanged for Onan if possible, Champion is Chinese made generator, extremely unreliable, do some research, look up reviews, Onan is made by Cummins, same grade as Honda or Yamaha
I agree with the champion being a POS. I figureed it was
chinese without even checking. I refused the whole trailer because it came with the "espresso" (dark) color woodwork when I specifically said I wanted "cherry" colored woodwork. Not being a Jayco salesman I didnt know the espresso was the default unless "heritage mocha" wood was specified. They offered $1,000 off to take the trailer without the cheap genny that came with it, which I would have done, if the wood was correct, and put the money towards a honda to go on the tongue rack. Well, no problem for the salesman. Just a matter of me waiting again. Grumpy, I looked at a "non-superlite" ocatane that was next to mine in the lot that had the built in Onan and it was in a front compartment under the floor with access from the side. The whole enclosure was lined with sheet metal. Not something that could be retrofitted after manufacture I'm sure. I'm still trying to find out if that gen. is available in the ultra-lite octanes.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:00 AM   #12

I'm sure it is. that option was almost a $3000 option no way that could be just championing the box. I bet the dealer put it in there. I bet it was not the factory I would call a different dealer if it was me make sure there are being honest.

Jayflight 2014 RLDS
2012 Ford F250 6.7 4x4
Idahoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 11:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahoboy View Post
I'm sure it is. that option was almost a $3000 option no way that could be just championing the box. I bet the dealer put it in there. I bet it was not the factory I would call a different dealer if it was me make sure there are being honest.
The Onan is almost $5,000.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:08 AM   #14

I bet the dealer received this trailer, saw it had no generator, and figured he could trick you by throwing in a cheap champion. Great way for him to make some serious extra money! It also didn't have the color you ordered. I wonder if he really ordered your trailer or knew he was getting this one and figured he would blame the color on jayco and throw in a cheap generator to cheat you...

ddrueckh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 03:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrueckh View Post
I bet the dealer received this trailer, saw it had no generator, and figured he could trick you by throwing in a cheap champion. Great way for him to make some serious extra money! It also didn't have the color you ordered. I wonder if he really ordered your trailer or knew he was getting this one and figured he would blame the color on jayco and throw in a cheap generator to cheat you...
Rick, I had similar thoughts as ddrueckh. That's a WHOLE LOT LESS than I would expect from a reputable dealer. It sounds like they took your consumer choices away and made others to benefit themselves.
Old 12-07-2014, 03:47 PM   #16

I'm not sure if I would use this dealer.. Either he was honest and if that is the case he sucks a dealer if he doesn't know something that simple. Or Like I stated before he was trying to take advantage of the situation. But I'm Pretty sure I wouldn't use him. If he is that dishonest at the beginning Of the buying cycle what will his service be like on the back end

Jayflight 2014 RLDS
2012 Ford F250 6.7 4x4
Idahoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:18 PM   #17

I looked over a bunch of pictures of the 273 model and watched a couple walk-arounds on Youtube. I don't see an outside compartment that looks large enough to hold the 4kW Onan. None of the control panels have the switches for the generator and there is also no fill neck for the tank on the outside. All of the regular octane line comes prepped for the generator with the above items as standard and only the generator itself is added. I know this from my recent experience described below. The only pics I could find with a generator on a superlite showed it mounted across the tongue behind the propane bottles, where I typically see the battery rack and it wasn't the Onan.

None of the regular octane models that come with the Onan list it as "self-contained" so I am thinking that is describing the generator itself meaning it is independent (or self-contained) from the RV rather than integrated. I hope that I am wrong for your sake.

I will call the new dealer I just ordered my Octane from and ask tomorrow, they have been very knowledgeable so far but also quick to call their Jayco rep to answer any questions I had they didn't know.

I joined the forum just to reply here because it sounds very similar to my recent experience. I ordered an Octane T31B back in October and when I went to pick it up in November it was the wrong color interior and had NO generator along with a few other mistakes. The build sheet I filled out when placing the order only had like 8-9 options and half of them were wrong on this unit. I suspect they didn't actually order mine but already had one in the pipeline that they tried to push off on me. They then tried to get me to agree to take a cheap Chinese 1800W in a box along with the WD hitch I had already purchased in exchange for the Onan option. They tried to tell me that the 1800W was more than enough to run everything I would ever need in a trailer this size. I could clearly see the prices of all 3 items right in front of me and they wanted to swap the Onan for two items that totaled less than half the value. ($1100 for the genny and $500 for the hitch) I'll skip the roughly 4 hours of negotiating they tried to do. I kindly asked for me nonrefundable deposit back, canceled the order and drove home empty handed. Was a wasted 500 mile round trip. I then went to a dealer that is actually closer to home and placed an order for another one the next day.

I am actually glad that it worked out the way it did because I feel MUCH better about my dealings so far with the new dealer, this will be my first RV and it wasn't starting off as a great experience.

Good luck with your new order Rick, I hope it comes in as expected. I will reply tomorrow when I hear back from my dealer.

-3B
tripleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 05:50 AM   #18

tripleB, ... very nice post, lots of good information. You got me wondering. I went to Jayco's site and checked-out the regular Octane site and the generator option does not say "self contained". So, apparently "self contained" means you're getting a generator of their choice in a box. It fooled you and Rick, and probably others. It's a marketing issue that needs to be changed.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:50 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleB View Post
I looked over a bunch of pictures of the 273 model and watched a couple walk-arounds on Youtube. I don't see an outside compartment that looks large enough to hold the 4kW Onan. None of the control panels have the switches for the generator and there is also no fill neck for the tank on the outside. All of the regular octane line comes prepped for the generator with the above items as standard and only the generator itself is added. I know this from my recent experience described below. The only pics I could find with a generator on a superlite showed it mounted across the tongue behind the propane bottles, where I typically see the battery rack and it wasn't the Onan.

None of the regular octane models that come with the Onan list it as "self-contained" so I am thinking that is describing the generator itself meaning it is independent (or self-contained) from the RV rather than integrated. I hope that I am wrong for your sake.

I will call the new dealer I just ordered my Octane from and ask tomorrow, they have been very knowledgeable so far but also quick to call their Jayco rep to answer any questions I had they didn't know.

I joined the forum just to reply here because it sounds very similar to my recent experience. I ordered an Octane T31B back in October and when I went to pick it up in November it was the wrong color interior and had NO generator along with a few other mistakes. The build sheet I filled out when placing the order only had like 8-9 options and half of them were wrong on this unit. I suspect they didn't actually order mine but already had one in the pipeline that they tried to push off on me. They then tried to get me to agree to take a cheap Chinese 1800W in a box along with the WD hitch I had already purchased in exchange for the Onan option. They tried to tell me that the 1800W was more than enough to run everything I would ever need in a trailer this size. I could clearly see the prices of all 3 items right in front of me and they wanted to swap the Onan for two items that totaled less than half the value. ($1100 for the genny and $500 for the hitch) I'll skip the roughly 4 hours of negotiating they tried to do. I kindly asked for me nonrefundable deposit back, canceled the order and drove home empty handed. Was a wasted 500 mile round trip. I then went to a dealer that is actually closer to home and placed an order for another one the next day.

I am actually glad that it worked out the way it did because I feel MUCH better about my dealings so far with the new dealer, this will be my first RV and it wasn't starting off as a great experience.

Good luck with your new order Rick, I hope it comes in as expected. I will reply tomorrow when I hear back from my dealer.

-3B
Thanks for all that info. Seems to be a lot of less than acceptable dealers around for these. I'm kind of stuck with this dealer for a few reasons. Of course if it gets to bad I'll bag the whole thing. As far as the superlite having a space for the Onan, it has. Next to mine in the lot was a regular octane with the built in Onan. Both trailers had the same space in the front of the trailer below the floor with outside access. The 273 superlite just had this area as a storage space. The outside access panels were the same size. I had a tape with me. They just had a grill cut into the upper half of the panel on the one with the genny and the compartment was lined with sheet metal. I guess they would just cut in a filler neck, but I didnt pay attention the that when I was looking at them. At this point, I just want the 273 with the cherry colored "heritage mocha" wood ,and I'll get a 5500 watt honda for the tongue rack. I dont know why this has to be so complicated. I'm going to call the dealer today. They just dont seem to be able to return my phone calls. They said they had some 273's ordered for stock and I just want them to see if any were ordered with heritage mocha wood and the other options I wanted (fuel station, power tongue jack).I just cant seem to get that answer out of them.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:27 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick danger View Post
ng. As far as the superlite having a space for the Onan, it has. Next to mine in the lot was a regular octane with the built in Onan. Both trailers had the same space in the front of the trailer below the floor with outside access. The 273 superlite just had this area as a storage space. The outside access panels were the same size. I had a tape with me. They just had a grill cut into the upper half of the panel on the one with the genny and the compartment was lined with sheet metal.
The weight that the Onan, fuel tank and 18 gals of fuel would add could be the issue since it is classified as a lighter unit.