Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-05-2014, 05:29 PM   #1

Built in genny

Anyone have a self contained/built in generator in their Octane ? If so, is it an Onan? I ordered one for my octane 273 and it came with a "champion" portable generator sitting inside in a box. The dealer said he isnt sure the octanes can be had with a self contained generator. I'm waiting to hear from him on it. After waiting 2 months it came with the wrong color wood cabinets and a portable gen. Now I have to reorder it and wait again.

rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 07:02 PM   #2

i had a 2009 octane that had a 4000 watt onan built in . had to install rubber isolators to help with felt vibration . worked great . not sure of all changes that have been made since , this model was the smallest one they offered back then .

2013 Can am commander 1000 cc camo xt. 2003 Harley Davidson road king
slaw32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 07:30 PM   #3

Jayco's site is listing a 4000 watt generator as an option on the Octane.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheGo View Post
Jayco's site is listing a 4000 watt generator as an option on the Octane.
The 273 is the Super Lite and it lists a 3,500 watt "self contained" geny, not the 4000 Onan. The regular Octane gets the Onan.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:00 AM   #5

Thanks, Grumpy. That's the first time I've been to the Octane page and I missed the Super-Lite.

Rick, here's a link to the 273 page on Jayco'S site: http://www.jayco.com/products/toy-ha...uper-lite/273/

There is a "Configure and Price" section available to you there. I have always found it helpful in that I usually knew more about the TT I was looking at buying than the sales rep. In their behalf, it would be difficult for them to know everything about every RV they sell. It felt good to me to be a couple of steps ahead of them and knowing exactly what I was about to buy.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:15 AM   #6

Thanks all. I saw the "self contained" 3500 watt gen. option on the configure and options. They dont say if its an Onan. I was supposed to be getting a "self contained" generator on the one I ordered and it came with a champion gen. in a box inside the trailer. The dealer did say he wasnt sure if the "superlites" would come with a built in generator. But wouldnt you think "self contained" meant built in? There was an octane (not the superlite) next to mine in the lot and it had the built in Onan in it. It was the 26' one. I dont remember the model.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:59 PM   #7

Yes, I do think "self contained" means built in. If it didn't, you should have had a say on what generator was being delivered. (Just curious, was the one in the box 3500 watts?)

When we bought the X23B we have now, I had the dealer scan and email the sticker before we would see the trailer. I'll do that again if there are future TT / RV purchases.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheGo View Post
Yes, I do think "self contained" means built in. If it didn't, you should have had a say on what generator was being delivered. (Just curious, was the one in the box 3500 watts?)

When we bought the X23B we have now, I had the dealer scan and email the sticker before we would see the trailer. I'll do that again if there are future TT / RV purchases.
The "Champion" generator that was in a box inside the trailer was 4000 "peak" watts and 3500 (regular?)watts. Just another game they play like amps and HP on power tools. They want to show you a big number so they came up with "peak"
Old 12-07-2014, 07:23 AM   #9

If I were you I would call Jayco and try to have Champion exchanged for Onan if possible, Champion is Chinese made generator, extremely unreliable, do some research, look up reviews, Onan is made by Cummins, same grade as Honda or Yamaha
Old 12-07-2014, 07:24 AM   #10

Unfortunately this is another case of a dealer(salesman) not checking on what was included. He/she could have easily contacted JAYCO or their sales rep for clarification. JAYCO shipped what is spec'd. The online info clearly states 3500 watt self contained and the tank capacity info shows a 4 gal fuel tank for the geny. If you look at the units that show 4000 watt geny's they have 18 gal geny fuel tanks. To me that is a red flag right there.

The other thing that should have been checked, where would the geny be installed? It would have had to be a fairly large outside storage compartment with a removable floor.