Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-10-2018, 09:30 PM   #1

Bunk bed adjustments

I wanting to remove the stop blocks on the rear Happyjack bunk bed on a 222. Has anyone tried this? I'm wanting to lower the bed down so it would be just above the sofa folded flat. I don't see why you can't but thought I would see if anyone has tried. Thanks
MicJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:19 AM   #2

thats on my list as well -

I've looked at it several times and game-planned it, but haven't actually done it yet. The other thing I want to do is make an adjustment in the opposite way as well - actually drill holes about a foot higher than the stop blocks and use some more robust pins at that dedicated height in the same manner as the pins provided for the bunk in its elevated, stored position. The stop blocks are not quite high enough so that people can actually sit on the couches under the bunks while someone lounges/sleeps on the bunk above.
2000 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4, 7.3 PSTD, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (1503)
topshelfredlabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicJ View Post
I wanting to remove the stop blocks on the rear Happyjack bunk bed on a 222. Has anyone tried this? I'm wanting to lower the bed down so it would be just above the sofa folded flat. I don't see why you can't but thought I would see if anyone has tried. Thanks
I have the same question. Had a guest my first trip in the Octane and luckily had a step ladder for them to use to get in the bed.

This will not work if my Mother were to come visit me at a campsite. It would be ideal to be able to lower the bed to a normal height.
vankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:57 AM   #4

On my T31B, I had to adjust the stops for more head clearance for sitting at the table. I have also removed them for lowering the bed for easy access. Easy to do, but be careful not to drop the screws down into the lower chain gears.
Jax B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax B View Post
On my T31B, I had to adjust the stops for more head clearance for sitting at the table. I have also removed them for lowering the bed for easy access. Easy to do, but be careful not to drop the screws down into the lower chain gears.
I guess you just used the dining seating to support the bed? I thought about using some small screws in the lower holes with the stops, but I'm not sure it's necessary. Thanks for your experience.
MicJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax B View Post

I removed the stops on my 2018 181 SL and of course I dropped the screw and driver bit into the track. After some panic I raised the seats a bit and discovered an access cover at the bottom of the track allowing me to retrieve my lost parts.
Random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 12:50 PM   #7

I was thinking about having 4 new stops made that would bolt to the highest setting but would be about 6" longer towards the top to hold it higher. Our kids dont need the head room as much as I do to sit under. And I'm loving the idea to take off completely for older guests. Or even heavy guest that may not enjoy the ladder experience!
Brooksb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 01:28 PM   #8

Bunk Bed Support

Is the only thing holding the bunk bed up the pins? The previous owner had taken out the stops and the couches and I am trying to figure out how everything fits back in. Thanks!
Hokiewolfpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 02:16 PM   #9

The pins hold the bunk in the top most location at the ceiling. There is also stops in the tracks for lowering the bunk to the sleeping height.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random View Post
The pins hold the bunk in the top most location at the ceiling. There is also stops in the tracks for lowering the bunk to the sleeping height.
Do you have a picture of the stops and where they attach? The previous owner just had them on the brackets that the couches ride on. I assume those aren't the stops? Thanks.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:41 PM   #11

Heres a bunk stop in the track with the screws removed. They sit on a threaded protrusion. On my track they can be moved to 3 positions.
Attached Thumbnails
bunk_stop.jpg  
Old 03-26-2019, 06:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Heres a bunk stop in the track with the screws removed. They sit on a threaded protrusion. On my track they can be moved to 3 positions.
Thanks, I figured they were something more substantial than those little plates. Do they actually do anything more than stop the bed from sliding down? The pins give the actual support, right? Thanks.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:57 PM   #13

The pins only fit in at the "stow" position. The plates stop the bunk at the "sleeping" position. That said, I removed mine to lower the bunk as low as possible for me and my wife to not have to climb down from. We found the foldout bench seats to be a bit "lumpy".
Old 03-26-2019, 07:13 PM   #14

Quote:
The pins only fit in at the "stow" position. The plates stop the bunk at the "sleeping" position. That said, I removed mine to lower the bunk as low as possible for me and my wife to not have to climb down from. We found the foldout bench seats to be a bit "lumpy".
So those little plates provide all of the support for the bunk?
Old 05-08-2019, 08:19 AM   #15

I've removed my plates before when it was just the wife and me. Put them back in when the kid was with us and sleeping on the sofa below. I had also drilled extra holes for the upper bunk pins so I could lower it to just below the height of our motorcycles for sleeping naps while traveling but not fully unloading. I have since confirmed with Happijac that the motor mechanism has a built in brake and can hold 600 lbs stationary (contrary to what the dealer told us) and now just use the sofas to set the height I need to squeeze in during travel sleepovers (just situations where I don't want to take the bikes out and the stop blocks aren't high enough, i.e. rest stops etc)
supercraig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:00 PM   #16

+1 I've noticed the same.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:26 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercraig1 View Post
I've removed my plates before when it was just the wife and me. Put them back in when the kid was with us and sleeping on the sofa below. I had also drilled extra holes for the upper bunk pins so I could lower it to just below the height of our motorcycles for sleeping naps while traveling but not fully unloading. I have since confirmed with Happijac that the motor mechanism has a built in brake and can hold 600 lbs stationary (contrary to what the dealer told us) and now just use the sofas to set the height I need to squeeze in during travel sleepovers (just situations where I don't want to take the bikes out and the stop blocks aren't high enough, i.e. rest stops etc)
Thanks for confirming! I reinstalled the plates and used it a few weeks ago. We had to get a ladder to get into the tall bunk!
Old 06-30-2021, 10:22 AM   #18

Quote:
Is there a way to move the threaded protrusions? Only two of the holes have the threaded protrusion and I need to lower the blocks for the ladder to reach but no threads in other holes to screw into
Nolan6278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 01:56 PM   #19

I have, since my last post, drilled new lower pin locations for ladder use. I lowered the bunk down to the height I needed for ladder. Then marked it on side of happyjack rail and drilled holes through for use with the upper pins used for transport. Pins that hold it to the ceiling.....
Motor down watching one of the holes till I see the bed just go past. Then I light up slightly as I insert the pins just like I would to the ceiling.....
In my case it's higher above where the locks could stop. But I use the ladder that came with camper for the loft. But a person could remove the lock completely and and pin it anywhere alone the track.
Brooksb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 04:44 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooksb View Post
I have, since my last post, drilled new lower pin locations for ladder use. I lowered the bunk down to the height I needed for ladder. Then marked it on side of happyjack rail and drilled holes through for use with the upper pins used for transport. Pins that hold it to the ceiling.....
Motor down watching one of the holes till I see the bed just go past. Then I light up slightly as I insert the pins just like I would to the ceiling.....
In my case it's higher above where the locks could stop. But I use the ladder that came with camper for the loft. But a person could remove the lock completely and and pin it anywhere alone the track.
Yeah drilling new holes would work. Also I did figure out that if I turn the L brackets 180° holding up the bed that it will lower it enough that the ladder will work. I just find it frustrating that each stop block location has five holes and only 2 of them have threads to screw into. I suppose I could drill into the stud in the wall and use longer screws to move the stop blocks if need be
Nolan6278 is offline   Reply With Quote