Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-09-2017, 07:46 AM   #1

Can't fill tank

New to this. We can't fill freshwater tank. If we hookup to water source everything works. If we disconnect it stops working. Water pump is turned on. Tank shows empty. We just had it dewinterized by dealer.

This is Octane SL 273 2017. Thoughts?
Octane2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:52 AM   #2

Can you post a picture where you are trying to fill? I suspect you may be hooked to city water instead of water tank. The hose will screw into city water and the hose will use sit in tank fill will not directly attach. I could be wrong but worth a look. Good luck!!
Cranetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:54 AM   #3

First question are you sure you have water in the tank?

Have your confirmed the two winterizing valves at the pump have been changed over from bypass to tank operation. One valve closes off the pickup from the tank, the other valve opens the pickup to the antifreeze pickup tube.

Please note I have heard on some of the newer campers they are now using a single three way valve instead of two valves.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:23 PM   #4

Update

As we went to leave the camp site I discovered that I had just connected to the city water connection.

Thats what happens when you pick up your trailer in Jan and can't use it for a few months, you forget things.

Anyway, when we got home I figured I would try out the tank fill. Hooked it up, turned on the faucet inside and turned on the water source. Water was leaking everywhere. Going everywhere but in the tank.

I just had the dewinterize done by dealer. Is it possible they didn't put a valve back? I am not sure which way they are suppsed to be. That's why I paid them to have it done right. :-)
Old 04-09-2017, 10:07 PM   #5

Good luck I hope that not too much of a mess was made. I have only seen tanks that have there own gravity fill. I did not know that some models have a valve to open close
Old 04-09-2017, 11:11 PM   #6

Just occurred to me..

Have your confirmed the two winterizing valves at the pump have been changed over from bypass to tank operation. One valve closes off the pickup from the tank, the other valve opens the pickup to the antifreeze pickup tube.

What he said. Could your suction hose for the antifreeze be open?

I strongly recommend pulling out you manual and going thru and understanding your water system. I hope the dealer screwed up and it's there issue but now I am a little worried that you have something open that should be closed.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:49 AM   #7

Just another update

I contacted the dealer that did the winterizing and they didn't do anything with the freshwater tank. I explained that the water was coming in right were the connection is at the wall of the RV. They said there is a washer or the like there that sounds like it has failed. We have to take it in. We also found that the entire shower leaks. Water comes out all over when the show is used.

I would say we ended up with a pretty good list of issues so far. We have only had it 3 months.

Thanks for the help all.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane2Go View Post
I contacted the dealer that did the winterizing and they didn't do anything with the freshwater tank. I explained that the water was coming in right were the connection is at the wall of the RV. They said there is a washer or the like there that sounds like it has failed. We have to take it in. We also found that the entire shower leaks. Water comes out all over when the show is used.

I would say we ended up with a pretty good list of issues so far. We have only had it 3 months.

Thanks for the help all.
Based on what you are saying, I highly recommend that once you take it in to your dealer, have them walk you through systems check of everything once again. Take notes on how everything works etc.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:48 AM   #9

Just to follow up, we took it back to the dealer. They had it a few days. Told us to come pick it up. When we got there, they told us there was no issue, no leak. We went back and forth, me saying it was leaking and them saying it wasn't. Finally convinced them to hook it up to a water source. Come to find out, they weren't looking where we were. There was a washer on the inside that was pushed down into the connection instead of seated where it should be. Fixed. Then we took it out again and shower leaking all over. Quite a bit. Back to the dealer. Come to find out the shower was only sealed about 40% on the bottom. They sealed it up. Took it back out. Still leaking. Back to the dealer. After some investigation it was found that a leak in the kitchen was running down the side and into the bathroom. Fixed. Still other issues, still waiting repair. Parts on order, etc.

This is our first trailer, I am just asking, is it the same with every manufacture that you have so many issues? I have lost count of trips to the dealer.

Long story, we found that the dealer where we purchased has no clue on what they are doing. We are now dealing with a different dealer for warranty work, however...

They charge for any and every thing. If I ask if that board is supposed to be bowed out like that, it is $35 to $50 for them to say "yes, it is supposed to be like that." If I ask if the clunking noise is normal, they check it and if they can't find anything, they charge.

As for the other comment to basically go back and have someone show us how things work. That is a valid statement. I actually asked to be able to watch them dewinterize. Made a big deal out of it. They said "no problem." I showed up and they said "the tech got a little carried away and did it already." So I get someone else that I believe actually knows a good bit but they don't know every trailer. So you get a lot of fumbling back and forth as they are trying to figure it out. We got the sanicon macerator and all that we have run into so far have no idea how it works. Makes you wonder.

Seems Jayco could provide some simple tutorials. The book saying, "if you have this than that, but if you have that then this or these three." It does nothing but confuse you.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane2Go View Post
Just to follow up, we took it back to the dealer. They had it a few days. Told us to come pick it up. When we got there, they told us there was no issue, no leak. We went back and forth, me saying it was leaking and them saying it wasn't. Finally convinced them to hook it up to a water source. Come to find out, they weren't looking where we were. There was a washer on the inside that was pushed down into the connection instead of seated where it should be. Fixed. Then we took it out again and shower leaking all over. Quite a bit. Back to the dealer. Come to find out the shower was only sealed about 40% on the bottom. They sealed it up. Took it back out. Still leaking. Back to the dealer. After some investigation it was found that a leak in the kitchen was running down the side and into the bathroom. Fixed. Still other issues, still waiting repair. Parts on order, etc.

This is our first trailer, I am just asking, is it the same with every manufacture that you have so many issues? I have lost count of trips to the dealer.

Long story, we found that the dealer where we purchased has no clue on what they are doing. We are now dealing with a different dealer for warranty work, however...

They charge for any and every thing. If I ask if that board is supposed to be bowed out like that, it is $35 to $50 for them to say "yes, it is supposed to be like that." If I ask if the clunking noise is normal, they check it and if they can't find anything, they charge.

As for the other comment to basically go back and have someone show us how things work. That is a valid statement. I actually asked to be able to watch them dewinterize. Made a big deal out of it. They said "no problem." I showed up and they said "the tech got a little carried away and did it already." So I get someone else that I believe actually knows a good bit but they don't know every trailer. So you get a lot of fumbling back and forth as they are trying to figure it out. We got the sanicon macerator and all that we have run into so far have no idea how it works. Makes you wonder.

Seems Jayco could provide some simple tutorials. The book saying, "if you have this than that, but if you have that then this or these three." It does nothing but confuse you.
Educating yourself on the systems within the trailer is an important step of owning a rig and can greatly reduce frustration and anxiety. Most trailers are basically the same when it comes to the systems contained within. HVAC/hotwater/fridge/cooking appliances, etc. are all very similar in the RV industry, so you don't need to study your exact model per say. Charging you for asking questions is absolutely ridiculous! I would high tail it away from that dealership! I knew almost nothing 2 years ago when i purchased my first rig. Google and Youtube have been an excellent source of information regarding the ins and out of RV's. There are also some good RV tutorials available online 'RV education 101' is another good source for general RV information. You can also call/email Jayco directly. They are pretty good answering questions about their particular models.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:50 AM   #11

I agree that Youtube is a great source. Pull out the manuals for the stuff in your camper. There are only so many companies that make RV appliances so you see them across all the brands. Things like winterizing really doesn't change all that much. Sure the actual process from a 5th wheel to a travel trailer is different but the concept is basically the same. Also most 5th wheels are pretty much the same when they have the station where all the valves and hookups are.