Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-16-2018, 05:31 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone2009 View Post
I talked to the dealer today and Jayco approved the repairs they performed on the brake system. Thanks Jayco for working with the dealer and understanding that the problem was a malfunction that was covered under warranty. Now I hope that Jayco will understand the design flaw of the front landing jacks and welded mounts should be addressed quickly to ensure no one gets injured or killed. Additionally, I hope they understand when the trailer came crashing down not only is there visible damage but what about the rest of the trailer. We do not feel comfortable if Jayco recommends repair, we would rather have a new replacement because we do like the 4113 seismic features and layout.
From the pic with the tilted bracket it looks like there was only a weld on one side and it failed and the the jack slid in the next bracket. Why is there a flaw in the jacks?

Are you meaning you want a new replacement trailer because the jack broke?
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:41 AM   #82

We have given our input to jayco that we don't feel confident that this is the only visible damage we see. It is only a request to replace or refund. Can they 100 percent confirm no other damage occurred? Bent twisted frame? Structural to the walls? etc etc etc. We are taking one step at a time and Jayco is responding back and keeping up the communication. Kudos to them. I believe the weld was the compromised component and not the jack itself
cyclone2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:44 AM   #83

Not that I am aware of. Have not had time to look at it in more details
Old 10-16-2018, 11:50 AM   #84

Quote:
We have given our input to jayco that we don't feel confident that this is the only visible damage we see. It is only a request to replace or refund. Can they 100 percent confirm no other damage occurred? Bent twisted frame? Structural to the walls? etc etc etc. We are taking one step at a time and Jayco is responding back and keeping up the communication. Kudos to them. I believe the weld was the compromised component and not the jack itself
Probably less of a shock to the frame from the jack dropping a few inches than if you took it down 90% of the interstates.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:32 PM   #85

Exclamation Bad Installation.

Cyclone, I don't believe this has anything to do with the quality of components. Rather, in looking at your photos it appears to have been a bad installation. I believe the top jacks were not properly tightened. If you look at your photos the jacks slid through the top clamps and broke well on the bottoms. If the top clamps had been properly tightened the landing gear would not have slid through the top clamps while breaking the welds on the bottom.

Here's my background in this... A few weeks ago I installed the Lippert Ground Control 3 system on my 30.5MLOK. This required replacing the front jacks which was a major PITA. In the instructions they say to tighten the clamps that hold the jacks on so they closed down to a spacing that is not to exceed 2.5".

Quote:
Tighten the nuts on the carriage bolts until the bracket opening is less than 2 1/2"
If you look at the bolts on the top clamps, there is noticeably less exposed thread on the top bolts as opposed to the bottoms. Because the clamps are to be tightened to roughly the same 2.5" gap, the threads on the bolts should be protruding the same on all 4 clamps.

Anyone worried about this who has the same style Lippert jacks should go measure the distance between the clamps. They should have a spread of 2.5" or less.

You have nothing to worry about regarding your frame. The welds failing and the friction on the top clamps absorbed a lot of the energy of the failure. If you are concerned, insist that Jayco pay a frame shop to evaluate the frame. As others have said, the shock the trailer had is no worse than many roads that we drive on.
Shackrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:38 PM   #86

Quote:
Not that I am aware of. Have not had time to look at it in more details
Good analogy on the interstate it never crossed my mind, however, the suspension of the truck with air bags and the suspension of the trailer at least absorbs the impacts even though harsh at times.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:47 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shackrat View Post
Cyclone, I don't believe this has anything to do with the quality of components. Rather, in looking at your photos it appears to have been a bad installation. I believe the top jacks were not properly tightened. If you look at your photos the jacks slid through the top clamps and broke well on the bottoms. If the top clamps had been properly tightened the landing gear would not have slid through the top clamps while breaking the welds on the bottom.

Here's my background in this... A few weeks ago I installed the Lippert Ground Control 3 system on my 30.5MLOK. This required replacing the front jacks which was a major PITA. In the instructions they say to tighten the clamps that hold the jacks on so they closed down to a spacing that is not to exceed 2.5".

If you look at the bolts on the top clamps, there is noticeably less exposed thread on the top bolts as opposed to the bottoms. Because the clamps are to be tightened to roughly the same 2.5" gap, the threads on the bolts should be protruding the same on all 4 clamps.

Anyone worried about this who has the same style Lippert jacks should go measure the distance between the clamps. They should have a spread of 2.5" or less.

You have nothing to worry about regarding your frame. The welds failing and the friction on the top clamps absorbed a lot of the energy of the failure. If you are concerned, insist that Jayco pay a frame shop to evaluate the frame. As others have said, the shock the trailer had is no worse than many roads that we drive on.
Thank you for the information on your installation. Yes I can see what you are talking about. So far we are in the early stages of working with jayco and lippert and their responses have been on point. One step at a time, luckily our camping season has ended here and we have until spring next year.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:31 PM   #88

We had good luck with Lippert they would work direct with the dealer on there stuff.

Moderator Edit.
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 03:12 PM   #89

Front stabilizer jacks

Ours have have done the same as described by others: out of stroke,premature shutdown,erratic actions.Then the loud pop and collapse on right front,now no load bearing at all trailer tips to the right .All the weight was on the left front.called Lippert (we have a history ).The Jayco had replaced one middle stabilizer jack under warranty and Lippert had replaced a rear jack under warranty.they would send two new front out as goodwill (no charge)and I installed.thanks Magnolia Tom.
Tommorow i will get two grade 8 3/8"x3" long bolt to slide in as back up for the possible collapse of the inner tubes as desribed on the seismics thread even though mine is a Pinnacle.
My point here is Lippert did send us out two front stabilizer on good will and we are out of warrantee by a year,but do have a documented history.
Tryintoretire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:55 PM   #90

Landing gear problems

I am fairly new here, but have a fifthwheel with the 3.0 system. Has anyone been in touch with legal counsel on these problems. Just wondering.
twin88cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:30 AM   #91

What kind of FifthWheel do you have?
Octane2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 03:10 PM   #92

2019 Talon 313T with 5.5 onan lightly loaded
3000 lb pin weight
10600 axle weight
21900 total weight, truck and trailer
weighted on CAT scales
twin88cam is offline   Reply With Quote