Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-23-2017, 11:37 PM   #1

Disaster! Landing gear pull pin sheared while leveling.

While "trying" to level my seismic 400W today my left front pin sheared causing the other to break, sending the front end crashing to the ground. Luckily the kids were in the car and everyone was safe. I was able to still extend the gear high enough to hitch to the truck. We drove our other car to the dealer to purchase a set of new landing gear pull pins. There is some visible damage to the landing gear inside the generator bay. The bolts are bent and I can see on the outer tube where it seems to have moved about an inch. It's hard to explain. There are scratches on the outer tube that appear to be cause by the 2 outer bolts moving up from the force of impact. I was able to easily replace the landing gear pin assembly and manually level the trailer. But of course the coach still won't auto level "out of stroke" auto level failed. I'm using leveling blocks as well. The LCI electric leveling system on this coach has been a major problem. Now my wife and I are on edge thinking it will happen again. The trailer is new and under warranty. We are also concerned about unseen structural damage although there doesn't appear to be any (other than mentioned). The parts guy at the dealership said he's never seen a pin break like that. I'm going to call jayco in the morning. This was not the way I planed on spending my Sunday...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heath_Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:00 PM   #2

That sucks! Keep us posted.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

jaycojls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:04 PM   #3

Jayco was helpful on the phone. The agreed to pay for a mobile tech to examine the landing gear and potential structural damage. This will put the wife and I at ease. Now any little movement has us freaked out.

Old 04-25-2017, 02:11 PM   #4

I know with my 377, the salesman reiterated a couple times to remember to push the pins fully in, otherwise a failure could occur. I know that there's only about 3/4 of an inch of pin to play with, and if I don't manually push them in, maybe only half of that is used. Not sure if this could have happened in your case, but it seems if your pins bind like mine do, its a possibility.

Hope you get it fixed and your level of trust comes back with the home away from home! Glad nobody was injured, as that kind of trust doesn't return easily!

2016 Ram 3500 4X4 Dually, 6.7 Cummins, 3.73
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH, Cummins/Onan Gen
JetTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 02:50 PM   #5

That's what my wife was saying. I checked the pins, but my concern is that there should be NO question of the pins being completely through the holes. The face that they just barely clear is a huge issue. Why would you develop a product, protecting the entire front end of the coach, that just barely clears the hole? That's complete crap.

Old 04-25-2017, 05:26 PM   #6

I'd think the pins are either sheared off or not. If not, my guess is that they bound up similar to mine do and the weight just pushed the pin out of the way. Seems like they'd mark them in some way to let you know they were safely engaged!

Old 04-25-2017, 06:10 PM   #7

Old 04-25-2017, 06:11 PM   #8

Checkout the damage to this bolt. You can see where the gear moved from the bolt teeth marks.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:07 PM   #9

What actually hit the bolt bending it like that? She took a beating, that's for sure!

Old 04-26-2017, 10:09 AM   #10

When the pin broke the front end of the camper dropped all the way to the bottom. As you can see from the teeth marks, the landing gear was actually jammed down about 1.5 inches.