Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-15-2018, 06:05 PM   #1

Full-time living mods to Octane 222

Hi all, I'll be picking up a 2017 222 Octane SL this weekend and I plan on living out of it for 3 out of 4 days a week. It already has a weight distribution hitch and comes with all the hoses, cables, connections I'll need to hook up in an RV park, but here are a few small mods/ upgrades/ additions I plan on doing:

1. Changing the storage locks to tubular cam locks.
2. Tire pressure sensors.
3. Rear-view wireless monitor.
4. Window/ Door sensor alarms.
5. Mattress upgrade (still shopping around/ open to suggestions)
6. Motorcycle chock (necessary? or are just tie-downs ok for a Suzuki Vstrom?)
7. Clothes storage (still shopping around/ need ideas).

I'd appreciate any input/ advice on the items above and any other tips/ tricks you might have to help make the life a little more comfy specifically for living in a toy hauler. Thanks and looking forward to your responses!
warhawkrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:59 AM   #2

Following. I want to learn fromyour questions as stated.
JJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:21 PM   #3

FYI, 20% off on some camco products going on for Prime Day.
Old 07-27-2018, 09:55 PM   #4

Backup Camera Install instructions

Attaching the instructions to install a rearview monitor if anyone is interested. I got the "4Ucam Digital Wireless Camera + 7" Monitor" from Amazon.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Octane Backup Camera Installation.pdf (269.0 KB, 27 views)
Old 07-27-2018, 10:05 PM   #5

Mattress upgrade

Just upgraded my mattress to an Arctic Dreams 10" Cooling Gel Mattress from Amazon. FYI, the mattress in the 2017 Octane 222 is a Full XL 54"x80" and not 54"x75" which is supposedly called an "RV Short Queen". I couldn't find one with a radius corner for under $300 so I just went with this one and decided to deal with the overhanging corner. The bathroom door bumps up against it when the door is fully opened, but its not really a big deal.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:09 PM   #6

Sewer hose storage mod

Just sharing my newest 222 mod with anyone interested. Since I don't have the skills or tools to mount the fence post sleeve underneath (like others have), I just put it on the tongue against the front of the trailer. Rattle canned it flat black, put eye bolts in the end caps, used 3M hooks and secured the end caps with small bungies that I already had on hand. The fence post is secured to the tongue by three 31" rubber tiedowns (just one shown in the pic). All purchased at Lowe's.

I'm actually a little concerned about future wear and tear using the rubber tiedowns, so if anyone has any better ideas on how else I can secure it I'm all ears.

Another concern is the durability of the 3M hooks, I'll probably upgrade those to screw in hooks later when I find time again to work on this.
Attached Thumbnails
222sewer.jpg  
Old 08-11-2018, 03:17 PM   #7

222 Tongue box

Since I put the sewer storage on the tongue, it left me a little room to play with and I found this Kobalt tool caddy on sale at Lowe's that fit perfectly in the space between my propane tanks and the sewer hose storage. Just used some ubolts to secure it to the grated floor of the trailer tongue and voila', more storage for things like chock blocks, anti-sway bars, tow hitch, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
222box.jpg  
Old 08-11-2018, 03:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhawkrog View Post
I'm actually a little concerned about future wear and tear using the rubber tiedowns, so if anyone has any better ideas on how else I can secure it I'm all ears.

Another concern is the durability of the 3M hooks, I'll probably upgrade those to screw in hooks later when I find time again to work on this.
Drill a hole top and bottom, thru the cap and post. Use an 3/16 aluminum rod bend the top 90degrees and stick into the hole.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 04:58 PM   #9

Why not replace the tie downs with u-bolts or if you cant find any to fit two flat bars, one on top of the fence post and one on the bottom of the frame bolted together on each side.
Old 08-12-2018, 06:26 AM   #10

I posted a video on YouTube of my "RV sewer hose storage DIY" for under belly storage with tray. In it you'll see I used small springs that are attached to cotter pins. Drill a small hole in cap, and in the tube where it will hold the cap tight according to the length of the spring. Insert cotter pins on both ends of spring, insert in the small holes then spread the legs on the inside til flat.

May want to add a handle or knob to pull the cap away to access.
JJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 01:08 PM   #11

I see this post was from July, so not sure if you've sorted things out or have new ideas. I've also got a 161, which I'm living out of full-time while traveling.
ChaosTheory is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
222, mods, octane 222, toy hauler