Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-16-2020, 03:44 PM   #1

Hard wired shore power to smart plug

For awhile I've wanted to switch the shore power from hard wired to a detachable cord. After some looking I decided the smart plug was the best way to go.
The next issue was going from a round hole with three bolts to a square plug. I bought a sheet of 1/4 inch marine starboard (hdpe) so basically a plastic sheet. Took out the current "mousehole" and used that as my starting template. Then i cut a square hole for the smart plug to fit through. Leaving a little air gap. Mounted the plug to the adaptor plate with some stainless bolts and was ready to cut the cord. Install on the trailer was relatively easy. Did a quick test pulled it off and put some silicone on the back and around it to seal it all up again. Very happy with how it all turned out.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200216_143842.jpg   IMG_20200216_141345.jpg   IMG_20200215_143124.jpg   IMG_20200215_121323.jpg   IMG_20200216_141339.jpg  

DSK360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 05:19 PM   #2

Very nice, planning on the same thing this Spring. Do you have a link for the marine starboard? Thanks!
Old 02-16-2020, 05:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
Very nice, planning on the same thing this Spring. Do you have a link for the marine starboard? Thanks!
I got it from Amazon. If you have a marine store nearby they also sell it. The store by me didn't have the black so I ordered it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00VK...b_b_asin_title
DSK360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 07:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSK360 View Post
I got it from Amazon. If you have a marine store nearby they also sell it. The store by me didn't have the black so I ordered it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00VK...b_b_asin_title
Thanks!
Old 03-07-2020, 07:37 AM   #5

I just installed a elect inlet adapter on the outside compartment door that goes under my sink. Then did the same on the inside. I then use an extension cord from the campground box so I can use a portable fire place inside the toy hauler. I do not trust the plug inside the rv because they are to small of a gauge wire.
putz is offline   Reply With Quote