Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-25-2017, 01:40 PM   #1

I think I am losing the faith

I just picked up my 2017 Octane SL 273 in Jan. Had issues we noted in first inspection. Had to go back and forth to the dealer to get them taken care of. Dealer wasn't able to actually fix anything so we are working with a closer dealer.

We have water leaks. We have electrical issues. We have silly atheistic issues. It is just constant.

We have to take time off of work to go drop the trailer off. We go back again to get it, again taking time off of work. We take it out, things are still wrong. Still have leaks.

We have a brand new 2016 2500HD that we also got in Jan.

We constantly get "Check Trailer Wiring" messages. We have been to two Chevy dealers that say the truck is fine. Dealer says the trailer has no issues. It is costing us money at this point because when each check it and say there is no issue, that isn't covered by warranty.

We have to cancel reservations as we have no trailer brakes when the wiring issue is present so we don't want to travel with it.

We are 7 or 8 trips deep on going to the dealer. At some point, you just want to say enough is enough.

I have read on here in numerous posts that the issues when you first buy is normal. I have bumped into two different campers that have big rigs and they both say they are a few months in and not an issue yet.

The last one was a Vengeance. I don't know who makes that but...

Wholly crap. How long can this go on? There isn't really that much to a Octane, really, from a complexity in build I mean.

We had a huge amount of water come into the bathroom because (we later found out after almost having to yell and scream at the dealer to take it apart and look) the connection for the black tank rinse had the washer stuffed down the pipe instead of being in place to make the seal.

I am just not sure I can take going back and forth to the dealer for the summer.

Know what I mean?
Octane2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 01:46 PM   #2

I found with my 2015 2500 (and chevy's ingenious idea to have the 7 pin upside down) it would not hold the plug in place tight. I added wiring in the bed and eliminated the problem.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:50 PM   #3

Do you have a factory brake controller that is causing the problem. If so I would purchase an aftermarket controller like the Prodigy P3 with the cable that fits your truck, its an easy 5 minute plug and play install. Then you can disable the factory controller, easy instructions to do this online, this may help get you camping
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 01:51 PM   #4

Wiggling the plug really has no effect. The Chevy dealer added electrical grease. It will show connected. You can sit with the truck running for 10 or 15 min and it will just go out all the sudden. No movement required. We have slowly wiggled the connection out and we can get it half way out before it looses connection.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:55 PM   #5

I didn't consider swapping it out as Chevy has checked it twice (two different dealers) and said there is no issue.

Not looked at it and said "that looks good," but connected the computer and looked for codes, etc.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:59 PM   #6
Site Team

Have you contacted JAYCO with an email listing all the issues you have, what has been done and what still needs to be fixed.

service@jayco.com

Make sure you include your VIN number.
Give them a list of everything with the current status of each one...
Send them pictures along with the email.

This way you know that all your issues are on record with JAYCO, should anything come up in the future.

Ask them for assistance in getting the issues resolved

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 01:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane2Go View Post
You can sit with the truck running for 10 or 15 min and it will just go out all the sudden. No movement required.
Sure sounds like a truck/controller problem to me.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 02:09 PM   #8

That's not fun! Sorry this has been your experience. I have purchased 1 used, and 2 new campers. Going to the dealer typically never meets our expectations.

Have you personally tested the 7 pin plug? I learn the most from Youtube and there are a lot of videos on this topic. If you test the plug and it works, the dealer says it works, then I would find a competent shop to wire you a new plug. The cost of this will probably be worth the peace of mind using a new trailer that has working brakes.

The other repairs, hopefully will be worth it in the end. My habit has been to keep a list of warranty repairs throughout the season when I'm using the camper. Then in the fall/winter I will take the rig in to get repaired when I'm not planning to use it for a couple months. This may not work with water flooding your bathroom, but once the major stuff gets addressed, limit your warranty work for the minor stuff when it fits into your seasonal schedule.

This is not what you want to hear, but sometimes RV's spend more time in the shop then on the road when they are new. They are not regulated like automobiles and there seems to be enough tolerance for this way of doing business for the (some) dealers not to change.

The good news is you have a lot of warranty left. If it's usable now, enjoy it for the summer. Keep your list of warranty stuff. Then plan to drop it off when you can be without it for a couple months. After those repairs, try it again.

Some repairs I've come across I have worked with the dealer for them to send me the parts as they are DIY projects (shower door handle, toilet seat) within my scope of what I can mess with. Some are projects I've bypassed the dealer and went strait to the supplier (water inlet valve failure) who have also been helpful. Anderson valve sent me a repair kit for a faulty water inlet valve that took me 15 minutes to replace. That would have been a month at the dealer.... This may not be acceptable for some folks. I've found for me that I'm less cranky tho...

You mentioned you just picked the camper up in your post today. Is it operable now? Is there still water leak/electrical problems? These are the big ones that need repaired ASAP. The cosmetic stuff can wait till the off season (IMHO).
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 02:11 PM   #9

As far as the trailer. Maybe find another dealer??
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 02:18 PM   #10

I would agree that the water leak and the electric are the big issues and that other can wait. TV Antenna for example, is broken and needs replaced. I already told them they can do that this winter as we don't use the TV. We just dropped it off again yesterday and haven't heard back on a estimated time of completion.

It is part the issue of can't use it but it is also part issue of every time they aren't able to find the problem they charge us. This starts to add up.

The one leak that we had they checked and didn't see anything wrong. They were going to charge us over $200 as there was no issue found so no warranty coverage. I had to insist they check again and they didn't want to. After they took it apart they found the leak and then the stuffed washer.

They obviously are in it for the money. This makes it all a LOT more stressful. :-/
Old 06-04-2017, 03:06 PM   #11

Brake problem

I had the same thing happen to my 2017 4213 Seismic, and 2017 3500 Duramax come to find out the emergency brake a way controller on the trailer was my problem they had it wired incorrectly.
atchtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 03:30 PM   #12

Have you tried plugging your trailer into a different truck or a different trailer into your truck or both? It might help you determine which is the cause of the brake issue.
Old 06-04-2017, 03:56 PM   #13

I had low voltage on my trailer battery cause a frequent "Trailer Disconnected message on my 2016 F150. The voltage drop was caused by a break in the 12 Volt wire on the 7 way pin. Without enough voltage in the battery the truck didn't sense a trailer...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 04:00 PM   #14

Check out this post...

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7...ork-47132.html

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:54 PM   #15

Update

I will say this, as a consumer I would be more concerned if I felt like the manufacturer was going to leave me hanging. I called, they did not make me feel that way. Time will tell of course but my communication with them did make me feel like they were going to support me and handle issues.

I got a call back from the dealer. Hey so it appears that the trailer brake-away break was pulled and we are $300 in right now on figuring this out and we are going to have to take all the wheels off and order a bunch of parts and replace a bunch of wiring to fix it. They made it sound like it was going to cost a few thousand dollars to get things working. Said that when the brake is pulled it burns out a bunch of stuff that all has to be replaced.

Needless to say I was a little taken aback.

I just said whatever.

I called Jayco.

The rep I talked to was calm and let me vent about all the issues we were having and I tried to explain what was going on now without telling her my life story.

She checked and was surprised to find that the deal was this far into this yet they hadn't contacted Jayco yet.

She advised that I call the dealer and request that it be ran through Jayco and let them make the determination as to what is going on.

I did.

This past Friday I called Jayco to see if the dealer had contacted them yet. They had not. I actually talked to the same rep I had talked to days earlier. However, I called the dealer to get a status and strangely enough, I was told that things were looking good and they expected it to be complete by mid week this coming week and that they didn't see any reason that things wouldn't be covered by warranty.

What!?!?!

I have no idea what they are talking about at this point and I doubt they do either. I guess I wait now to see what the story is when I pick it up.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:17 AM   #16

New Update

Well, we picked up our trailer about 2 weeks ago. I got no real explanation as to what the issue actually was. The processor at the dealer told us it was our fault. We had pulled the pin of the emergency brake. We didn't. Not that we know of anyway. The problem with that is, there is no way to prove that we didn't. The dealer tells me "I am lucky that Jayco covered it."

It doesn't make sense. How can there be this string that you pull and it just slowly fries all your brakes and does thousands in damage and you have no way to know it has been done.

There is more to this than I am getting.

Anyway, we have trailer back.

We take it for a simple weekend trip, and of course, we have a new problem. Not nearly as serious. More of a pain than anything.

See my new post, Sanicon Turbo WTF.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:50 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane2Go View Post
The processor at the dealer told us it was our fault.
RCD or COLERAIN ?
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:48 AM   #18

Ha

Rcd.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:27 AM   #19

Sorry to read about your troubles. I have a fantastic dealer in Keystone Mega RV in Greencastle, PA and they have taken care of every issue and taken care of it quickly. Jayco appears to be a very responsive manufacturer and is willing to take care of issues without being difficult to the consumer. It sounds to me like your dealer is the holdup in this process though.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:03 AM   #20

I'd agree with that

We have had many interactions with this dealer and I could write pages.

The interactions I have had with Jayco though, I would agree, they always seem to be willing to do what is needed to get it done and taken care of.

I will say this, I really feel for the people that by the $$$$ kinda rigs. I can't imagine going through this kind of stuff when you have that kind of investment on the line.

My hat is off to those folks! :-)