Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-06-2017, 08:51 AM   #21

Interesting Update

We were going back watching videos from our walk through trying to figure out how to do the winterizing.

Would you believe, right there it is, on video, the dealer pulling the brake line out to show how it works. We did not see, on video, him putting it back in.

After all the hassle this other dealer gave us about we must have done this, it was our fault, we were going to have to pay for it, etc..

Right there it is in full view.

Unbelievable!
Octane2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 12:07 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane2Go View Post
snip..... Would you believe, right there it is, on video, the dealer pulling the brake line out to show how it works.....snip
I would be tempted to have a visit with your dealership's "processor" and have the video in hand...., with a "oh, by the way".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane2Go View Post
snip...... We constantly get "Check Trailer Wiring" messages. We have been to two Chevy dealers that say the truck is fine. Dealer says the trailer has no issues......snip
I had the same problem with my 2016 2500HD upon towing my prior '05' Eagle in June of 2016, but not on a regular basis. It seems many GM folks were having this problem noted on some GM truck forums. I should mention that I never had an issue with my prior '02' GM 2500HD's 7-pin connector with the same TT.

My problem solving adventure ..........:

* The GM "Check Trailer Wiring" message is tied directly (only) through the 7-pin connector's #2 blue brake wire (trailer's e-brake switch and brake magnets). Thus one may still have functioning trailer lights, just no trailer brakes....., this is what I experienced.

* GM advised me that their OEM supplier "brand" 7-pin connector must be matched to the same "brand" 7-pin connector on the trailer. GM also stated a bad ground and/or connection within the trailer's brake system could be at fault.

* The optional GM OEM in-the-bed 7-pin connector wiring harness splice-in point could be at fault (I don't have one).

I checked my '05' Eagle's entire brake system wiring, magnets, and installed a new e-brake switch...., I would still get an occasional "Check Trailer Wiring" message (not on every trip).

I decided to replace my Eagle's original 7-pin connector/pig tail with a new Bargman brand, same brand as GM's. I didn't have any more message faults after the replacement.

With my new 2018 Jay Flight I have noticed that the Jayco supplied 7-pin connector isn't a snug fit in my 2016 TV's 7-pin connector, but I haven't had any "Check Trailer Wiring" faults yet......, but time will tell.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 12:13 PM   #23

After all was said and done, Jayco paid to have all the brakes replaced and the brake controller.

Once all that was done, we haven't had one issue since.
Old 12-26-2017, 05:50 PM   #24

I have the same trailer and it seems to me these trailers are just banged out as fast as they can make em. Without much concern about "doing a good job" My fuel station didnt work. I had to re-do everything myself. just seemed easier to basicly build your own trailer than haul it back and forth to a dealer that doesnt care about your problems or your trailer.
rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:10 PM   #25

I completely understand. I bought my 273 Octane in June. I have a few warranty issues such as a leak around a rear window. My radio doesn’t work. The worst thing is A tree limb tore a hole in my roof. I have only got to use it twice if I could turn back time I would never have bought this Toy hauler.
Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 01:28 PM   #26

Which?

Wouldn't have bought this one or a toy hauler in general?
Old 01-15-2018, 02:07 PM   #27

My wife and I have done a lot of thinking about this. Lots of issues, etc.

The trailer is in the shop now. Has been for a month. Not likely to get it back until next month.

We have been to a few RV shows and looked at a lot more RVs. Before, when we went to the RV shows, we didn't see things the same way.

Today, when we walk into a trailer, our eyes go right to corners looking at the seams. The roof, looking for holes and bad seams. The shower, looking at the caulking to see if there are gaps that were missed, etc.

The point is, we just didn't have the experience to know what to look for until we were able to get one and learn all these things.

We have looked at Momentums by Grand Design. We have looked at Cyclones. We have looked at the Vengeance and the touring version. The Work and Plays. There are a few others by Keystone, etc.

To be honest, all things being equal, I would say 70% of them are less quality than the Octanes. The Grand Design Momentum is probably the one I think exceeds Jayco, even at the Seismic level. Grand Design has claims of a QA factory that does all the QA and ensures things are right before the trailer goes to the dealer.

I think Jayco's mistake is leaving that job to the dealer. I think we all pay the price as all dealers are not the same and I think some just can't or don't want to put the money into, handling all the QA when they receive the trailers. I know it seems to me that ours kinda does the "it's a problem if you point it out, kinda thing. If you don't see it or mention it, then it must not be an issue.

I have to say that we have been pretty satisfied with Jayco as far as support goes. They seem to care and be as helpful as they can be when you call.

After a lot of looking, another thing we have learned is the quality, even for Jayco, goes up as you get into the more expensive units. Meaning that if you look at any manufacture, how they do things improves up the line.

So, if you don't like the quality of a level three trailer, look at the level 5. You will probably see an improvement.

We are contemplating trading our Octane SL 273 in and moving up to maybe the Seismic level. I think either that or the Momentum. I think, I have a good bit of faith in Jayco as a company and want to believe that I can get a trailer I feel is going to last me at least 10 years without me needed to pay a fortune in repair fees.

I think that is a big source of fear. These dealers charge so much for every little thing. Yes, I know, need to learn to do it yourself. We don't all have the time, nor the location.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:57 PM   #28

We had the same issue on our 2016 chevy hd. The dealer tried to say its the hitch shops fault cuz the added the 7 pin connector in the bed for the fifth wheel. It was two days before our camping trip with no trailer brakes. The trip was reserved for 5 months prior due to how busy they get. So they fixed it. It ended up being a ground wire.
B.D.keathley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:06 PM   #29

Jayco took care of it though

It may have caused us a lot of stress, etc but, Jayco took care of it. The brakes were all replaced and we haven’t had an issue since.