Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-07-2019, 02:43 PM   #1

Interested in Octane SL 222

Hi All!
New to the forum and RVing!
I'm interested in purchasing a 222 and have some questions.
#1) Any things I should look for that typically are defects?
#2) I plan on hauling dirt bikes and (2)Harleys on occasion, has anyone added tie down locations or added wheel chocks? is this easy for a handy guy to do? I know they have reinforcement plates for the preinstalled tie downs.

Most importantly, I'm looking at a "New" 2018 that is left over and on "clearance" for ~$19,500 from CW and (2) 2017s in good condition a bit farther that are in the $16k range (one private, one a dealer).
Would others that have purchased RVs in the past think that I could get the "new" 2018 unit for cheaper that would offset the savings of the others that are further away?

I haven't seen great things about camping world, so I'm a bit concerned that they will mess with the unit if I try to wheel and deal too hard.

I look forward to this forum! Looks to have some good knowledge!
Win&MavAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:03 AM   #2

Welcome onboard the forum.
I ordered a new 2019 222 in Sep took delivery in early Dec. I have a 4 pax sorta like a “golf” cart as my “toy” .My Octane was ordered with every option offered. Fiberglass sides, heated underfloor,screen curtain ,fuel station ,(imo a must have) 15k AC.,customer value package ,electric tongue jack (must haveIMO) left off 2 options Canadaian build and ramp patio.I love the 222 not too big and nice floor plan that works for me.
I paid 30% off MSRP , that was good enough for me.
Depending what options the 2018 has 19k may be a good deal. Only you can really answer that.
There are plenty of existing tie downs for me.
As far as CW goes, if they have the one you want at your price get it don’t look back. You should plan on doing most simple repairs yourself imo and IF you have a different Jayco dealer closer or you prefer they will do warranty work and the 2 years start when you take delivery.
19k is a good discount you may get a few hundred or so off but CW knows what a used unit sells for my guess is they won’t give another 2k off . Remember you can always increase your offer if they won’t accept it.
As far as defects go I haven’t had any big issues with mine.
Corner seal on ramp door neeed to be resealed as I could see daylight at that corner when door was closed. The factory left off an exterior light but put the switch in both handled by my dealer, no problems . I upgrade both mattress as the stock ones are horrible imo.
Good luck and enjoy what ever you get.

1992-2010 Jayco 1401 93 GMC Sub
2018-20?? 2019 Jayco Octane 222SL 18 Silverado 1500
Gogrampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 02:25 PM   #3

I bought a talon myself so nothing to say about the model u r looking at. But, I did buy at CW. As far as price, i dont think any place can bet em. They really make the most money by selling all the extras. Dont fall for there sales. Everything they have to offer can be bought direct throu good Sam's, their parent company. They make the money by only offering the premium good Sam's has to offer. Going direct will give u many more options like flexibility deductable and the option to change as the seasons change. And it keeps off the loan as well. They make money there too. I went throu this 2 months ago. From what I learned I was able to help my friend out this week with his deal throu CW and he walked away smelling of a rose. Me on the other hand, I've had to cancel my good Sam's sold with the camper. Started another policy, now paying more a month. Refinancing my loan to a better intrest rate throu my own bank, costing me more money again because of a shorter loan and the fact my reimbursement of gap and extended warranty still isn't repaid. All good as soon as I get refunds thou. And my payoff will be much faster. But I'm out the extra a month either way.
And a side note, CW is mostly undesired for their service. But u dont have to take to them. If u have extended, u can take anywhere. If it falls under ur manufacturer's warranty u still have no deductable. Even if u have a mobile guy come to ur house....
Brooksb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:59 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply! All good info!
I took a look underneath and saw the attached. Is this typical craftsmanship?
Attached Thumbnails
1369C31F-B966-4F12-AEE8-02AFBAD62247.jpg  
Old 02-10-2019, 05:44 PM   #5

If that’s insulation it’s looks to me like maybe critters have moved in!or moisture aftermath.
I have some black expansion foam that’s overexpanded in a few seems of the of enclosed underside. Doesn’t look like that.
If that’s the new one what does CW say about it?

Old 02-10-2019, 06:32 PM   #6

I haven’t talked to them yet. I crawled under today when they weren’t open. I’ll be checking tomorrow. I’ll let you all know what they say.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:54 AM   #7

They said that it was 100% normal, and they would clean up the extra spray foam insulation during PDI.
They also said that the shower surround that wasn't fully adhered down and the bathroom door being misaligned was normal.
They didn't come off of the $19,995 price. So not looking like the unit for me.
Hopefully one of these days I'll find the right one.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:58 PM   #8

Jayco Octane 222

I purchased a new 2017 with everything except heated underbelly and generator. Since you are new to this let me tell you that I would not have purchased mine for 50% of what I paid had I known what the quality and craftsmanship was like. They had it for the first couple of months to fix things they accidentally found during our walkthrough. It has been used 5 times for 2-3 days with my son and we haul two Dirtbike's. The list of issues is extremely long many of which were noticed after my 30 mile drive home from the dealer. I have 5 months left on warranty but the dealers are booked 3-4 months out and then I will have to go without it for 2-3 months. I have considered doing a you tube video burning it to the ground just so that people who go in and spend 25-30 grand on a brand new Jayco understand that the craftsmanship is unlike anything you have ever seen. The foam spray in your photo does not even begin to demonstrate how much they care about doing something right. I think there are more screws missing the studs than are in the studs. I would do a video of everything wrong but I don't think I could do it in under 30 min.
defrcorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:50 AM   #9

Wow that sounds like an awful situation. I have had a pleasant experience with my dealer and the 2019 222SL has been good .........so far. My first “big” trip is a few weeks away. 2000 miles RT I’m expecting to shake out a few issues. We shall see.
I have found the quality to be satisfactory. I’ve had 4 minor issues and I have cleaned up several areas of sloppy workmanship nothing major imo. I don’t think I’m the exception where quality is concerned. Jmhofwiw

Old 02-20-2019, 11:26 AM   #10

Luck of the draw

It seems as though some get lucky and get one with only a few issues and others get ones that there was no concern for quality only get it together as fast as possible. I would like to go to the dealer and look at a new 2019 and see what the quality is compared to my 2017 now that I know what to look for.
defrcorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:49 AM   #11

Ur right! Some are built much better than others. I work for a company and runs a crew. Should be running 2 or 3 but I cant find guys that care enough to do the job correct. And as the economy gets better, the new hires get worse. People just dont care about anyone but themselves these days. There is always another place hiring, and if u dont make much money u can get free hand outs. Myself, I'm just working towards retirement so I can spend my days getting to my next rv destination! Watch the world go to hell as I sip my next drink and watch the waves roll in....
Brooksb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 12:31 PM   #12

I bought a new 2018 Octane 161 in Oct, sold my house and left my career in Jan, and have been traveling/living in it since. I gotta say, I'm really impressed with it, though it's early... Longevity I can't answer, but it did survive a 2000 mile trip from WI to the Oregon coast, where I'm currently at. I'm at a full-hookup site now, but I geared this to be able to boondock for well over a week at a time.

My upgrades were: heated underbelly, 20 gal fuel station (for generator/motorcycle), 100 watt solar panel and 2x6volt batts, Winegard internet system, 15k BTU AC. I removed/sold the two useless/heavy couches & table on the lower Happijac and just use that area for storage/computer desk while I sleep on the top bunk. I bolted a front wheel chalk to the floor (shallow to avoid tanks) for my BMW F800GS Adventure. Also screwed in several cargo nets, pockets, bungie connect points to hold stuff in place. Works well so far.

I pull with a 4-cyl diesel Colorado, so upgrading to the longer Octanes added too much weight, and I didn't need/want a 2nd sleeping area. Only thing I wish the 161 had was an exterior storage compartment, but I guess that's what pickups are for.

Only 'issues' I've had with this is my furnace blower kicked on a few times for no reason as it's supposed to be off (I use a space heater when on shore power). Someone in another thread advised my thermostat, which does look super cheap, may be the issue so I'll prob replace that.
ChaosTheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 07:59 PM   #13

I wish the 222 had a larger external storage opening I got a small A frame shaped tool box (no batts) on the tongue that fits in the existing tray. My 2 AGM 100ah batts are in the battery hold bin.The good thing is it’s got a garage for all the stuff that won’t fit in it’s storage bins
I switched the stock thermostat with a digital one

Tags
222, octane 222