Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-19-2023, 06:51 AM   #1

Inverter doesn’t run fridge

Hoping to get some insight. I have a seismic toy hauler with an inverter system that runs the bedroom plugs and the refrigerator. The bedroom plugs are working, but the refrigerator plug is not. The unit was just serviced at Jayco in Indiana and the entire fiberglass side panel was replaced. I’m looking for potential simple things before I need to take my camper to the dealer. For now we are running an extension cord from the bedroom to the refrigerator cord as a bodge solution.
Drstimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 07:15 AM   #2

Do you have a secondary breaker panel that feeds the fridge and bedroom outlets? Check the breakers. It should be right with the other breakers. That's how our Seneca was set up.
Old 05-19-2023, 07:38 AM   #3

All the 120v breakers are good in the main panel upon visual inspection
Old 05-21-2023, 11:47 AM   #4

Update. I pulled the refrigerator outlet out of the wall and found that there was only one Romex going to it. Shouldn’t there be one from the shore, power circuit, and a separate one from the inverter circuit?
Old 05-21-2023, 12:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drstimpy View Post
Update. I pulled the refrigerator outlet out of the wall and found that there was only one Romex going to it. Shouldn’t there be one from the shore, power circuit, and a separate one from the inverter circuit?
No, because the INVERTER has a built in transfer switch that automatically connects to shore power, so only one output.
Old 05-21-2023, 01:13 PM   #6

Which makes this even more mysterious, because the two other inverter plugs in the bedroom work fine. So the transfer function is fine on the inverter. Why would inverter power not be transferring to only one outlet when it’s fine on shore and generator power?
Old 05-21-2023, 01:47 PM   #7

I would contact JAYCO and ask for the wiring schematic.

https://www.jayco.com/contact-towable-service/
Old 05-21-2023, 05:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drstimpy View Post
Which makes this even more mysterious, because the two other inverter plugs in the bedroom work fine. So the transfer function is fine on the inverter. Why would inverter power not be transferring to only one outlet when it’s fine on shore and generator power?
Could be a bad splice in a junction box or the wire connection at the receptacle has an issue.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 05:43 PM   #9

I would guess if it worked before Jayco replaced the entire side that something happened while they had it.

Lesson to all that you should recheck everything after having your units serviced to make sure everything still works…. Especially major work.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 05:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
Could be a bad splice in a junction box or the wire connection at the receptacle has an issue.
But he said it works on geny and shore power.????
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 08:39 AM   #11

It will go back to dealer for warranty service but, u know how it goes, they say they need it for 10 days in summer prime time. If I knew more, I’d tackle the relay from the inverter to that plug.
Old 07-08-2023, 01:28 PM   #12

My fridge wouldn’t run at all on 4112 seismic, couldn’t get it to turn on. I disconnected shore power and saw my outlet in coffee cutout had power but still nothing on fridge. I unplugged fridge from wall for about a minute then plugged back in. Was able to get fridge back on now using inverter power and after plugging into shore power turning off inverter fridge functioned fine. May of been stuck relay or safety reset in fridge. No problems since
Sparksflyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 07:38 AM   #13

Everything functions on shore power so, unfortunately, not a fix for me…
Old 07-10-2023, 08:17 AM   #14

Have you tried pulling shore power and running on inverter power and using a voltmeter take voltage reading at fridge outlet ? Curious if getting full voltage or not enough to run fridge. I have a 1800 xantrex and contacted them about a different issue. Their tech support was excellent in helping. Hope this helps
Sparksflyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 10:09 AM   #15

Update

So I think I figured out what the problem is. My couch outlets, and all of the functions in the armrests… Lights, heater, and massager, work while on the inverter. It’s not supposed to be that way. So I think that they swapped the inverter wires over to the couch and the couch wire to the refrigerator plug. There is a lot of furniture moving and wire digging to fix this so I am still going to have all the warrantee work. That would explain why the refrigerator only functions on shore power or generator.