Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-17-2018, 05:09 PM   #1

Is this a good deal for Jayco 273?? Need advice

I am very interested in a local 2017 Jayco 273. It is not new leftover, it is 1 year used, recently taken on a trade at my local dealership.

I spend 2 hours going inside and out and all looks very good (basically brand new) with very if any wear. It does not have the fuel cell or 2nd AC, or electric leveling or generator.

Other than that it has all the other packages that come with a 273.

The dealer was asking $23,900 and came down to $21,900. Is this a good price? I am worried that the 2 year warranty is non-transferable. This is a big purchase for me.

The alternative is a 2018 Dutchman Coleman 250TQ (new) for $20,499. While I like the Jayco better, the Coleman comes with a 3 year warranty (yes 3 year). The dutchman is 96 inch wide (not 103) and is 29' 7" long vs 30' 11" for the Jayco. They both have basically the same exact features, except Jayco has electric tongue jack and shower door vs curtain on the Coleman. Also Jayco has fiberglass front. The coleman comes with 2 lounge chairs, the Jayco does not.

Other than that they are virtually identical. The Jayco is about 1000lbs heavier for some reason. I assume that is because of heavier construction.

So the new Coleman is $1400 cheaper and comes with 3 year warranty, but the Jayco is clearly nicer in and out and offer just a bit more width and length. Should I be jumping on this Jayco or should I be jumping on the Coleman?
95jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 06:16 PM   #2

Touch decision to make, the price sounds high, retail new was 32k take average 30% off for a good deal equals 22.4k. Now its a year old, 2 year warranty is not transferable . if you really like the Jayco look at the 2018 model which should sell for 24k without options
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
Touch decision to make, the price sounds high, retail new was 32k take average 30% off for a good deal equals 22.4k. Now its a year old, 2 year warranty is not transferable . if you really like the Jayco look at the 2018 model which should sell for 24k without options
My budget is $20 -21k. I have looked all over. I don’t want to travel far. I am done shopping. Both are local and I decided it will be one or the other. Just looking for any compelling arguments to help me decide? Higher quality slightly more space nicer finish but with no warranty or lesser quality slightly smaller still very nice and new with 3 year warranty? I think it’s like buying slightly used BMW or new Chevy?
95jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:34 PM   #4

Well it sounds like your want the BMW, don't blame you. I don't know anything about the Coleman brand but after taking a quick look my first impression is lower quality in the overall look of things. Depending on how much the Jayco was used most problems show in the first year so your probably pretty safe. I only had three small warranty issues in two years. I think that dealer still has some room to move knowing they don't pay top dollar for trade ins, I would offer 19-20k and see what happens.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 06:41 AM   #5

I'd tell the dealer to cover the balance of the factory warrantee and do the deal, that way the dealer is on the hook for a year of warrantee, may go over it with a fine tooth comb .
Old 03-18-2018, 07:40 AM   #6

Sounds like a decent deal. Getting to be time of year where dealers charge plenty. I think you get a lot of bang for the buck with the 273. I bought a 272 with lots of options new in dec for 25k. Dunno about warranty. Spend a lot of time at the pdi. I had a few issues for warranty so I’d make sure you’ve got some warranty. U should know u can’t fit two full size four wheelers back to back in the 273 good luck.
2018 Polaris Sportsman 570
Doughydman is offline   Reply With Quote