Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-22-2019, 11:00 AM   #1

It's always something!

New Tow Vehicle, Check
New 2019 Talon, Check
New B&W 5th Wheel hitch, Check
All the crap that you need to support the trailer like tools and dog bones and all that stuff, check
The problem is, reaching the 5th wheel to open and close and remove pins and insert pins. Gotta get a step ladder to be able to reach it and I need a rubber mat or the like to protect the side of the truck so zippers and buckles and buttons don't scratch the hell out of it.

I tried to find one on Amazon, not a lot of luck. I tried mechanics rubber mat. Not so much. You would be surprised what kind of options come up if you search that on Amazon. :-)

Anyone have any ideas?
Octane2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:04 AM   #2

Try searching fender mat or fender protector on Amazon.
houstonstroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:08 AM   #3

Try this

https://www.amazon.com/Ironton-Truck...gateway&sr=8-7
MikeThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:15 AM   #4

People that are vertically challenged, unlike me at 6' 4", have issues. Even my truck being a dually is a little challenge for me. I grab the bed rail and step up on the top of the rear tire. I'm lengthy enough I dont have to worry about zippers and buckles. However, I do have a mechanics fender mat I got from Summit Racing that works really well when I have to wrench on something. I'd give one of those a whirl. Mine is pretty good size both top to bottom and side to side. I'd turn it sideways (long) and drape it over the bed rail and down the side of the box. If it doesn't want to stay in place use a spring style clothes pin to hold it on the inside lip of the bed rail.
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:56 PM   #5

And that one thing I do love about my Andersen 5rh wheel. It offsets my trailer like 9" back, has its release handle attached to the trailer,so all that keeps my tailgate down during the entire process and come in at any angle. Downside....., I have to lift my trailer about 3" higher to get off truck. And subsequently, 3" back down if trailer was already level at site.
Brooksb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 03:39 AM   #6

Keep it simple... buy a bathroom rug that has rubber on the bottom.

I used one for years on a Suburban to protect the back roof loading kayaks on the rack.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:46 AM   #7

Thanks all!

Fender was the word that hadn't hit me. That found it. I had thought of the bathroom mat with the rubber on one side, my thinking was, with the absorbent material it would get pretty nasty pretty quickly. The magnetic rubber fender mat is exactly what I needed.

Jut something to put there so I can lean over and grab handles and crap and not have to worry about scratching.

This setup is new but, at the moment anyway, I am thinking a sliding hitch may have been the way to go. A few inches back would have changed somethings I think.

We will see after a few trips.

Again, thanks all!
Old 03-23-2019, 01:15 PM   #8

Can you see the pin as you back up to connect? I couldn't with the new CC and a roll up tonneu cover. Ended up installing a cam on the cab break light so I can watch the connection.
Ugeesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 06:22 PM   #9

Hadn’t had too much of an issue yet. My rolling cover has a thread down the middle. That gets me pretty much spot on.