Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-25-2018, 08:03 AM   #1

Jayco 272 toy hauler

I posted this earlier on the travel trailer forum. I have a Octane 272 that has beena pleasure to own. We've put over 6000 miles on it on 3 months and have had no problems with it. Minor adjustments here and there, but tows like a dream, holds 3 bikes and plenty of living space. Good job Jayco, my hat's off to you.
sam1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:12 AM   #2

That’s good to hear. I bought one in dec. Havent been out in it. Hoping I have the same luck as you with mine.
Doughydman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 06:23 PM   #3

I hope you like it!

We just picked ours up. Still figuring it out and starting to load stuff. Tonight we finally drove the 4 seat can-am commander in it to ensure that it fits, and it does. Hope you are enjoying yours!
Attached Thumbnails
A5BC96B8-38C4-4078-B978-ADB1AB39DCC2.jpg  
upinthemountains2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:00 PM   #4

Glad to hear things are going well for you. Enjoy!

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam1340 View Post
I posted this earlier on the travel trailer forum. I have a Octane 272 that has beena pleasure to own. We've put over 6000 miles on it on 3 months and have had no problems with it. Minor adjustments here and there, but tows like a dream, holds 3 bikes and plenty of living space. Good job Jayco, my hat's off to you.
We love ours so far. Gearing up for a 3,500 mile round trip next month and can't wait to spend a week living out of her on the road.
2000 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4, 7.3 PSTD, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (1503)
topshelfredlabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 01:54 PM   #6

Octane 272 overall

Been out 4 times in mine so far. Added 2 100 w solar panels with 2 batteries. This keeps batteries topped off great. Havent seen battery level drop below four lights at control panel. Can watch tv for a few hours at night using 600w inverter and run furnace at night. Thinking about not lugging generator around unless we know we need ac. Been boondocking in mountains for 3 of the trips. Little disappointed in fueling station hose and nozzle. Nozzle stuck open. Bought longer hose and new nozzle. Only other upgrade we did was go to porcelain high profile toilet. Worth every penny to do this.
Have 2 Polaris 570 that I pull in one behind the other and we can still open fridge. Couldn’t do that on our last pos forest river grey wolf. Tows good. Haven’t weighed but I would guess with our four wheelers and everything else we are close to 10k. Wish the tie downs were in better spots.
Biggest problem with mine was last trip while using fuel station I heard loud bang. (I don’t see how the two are related but I thought I’d mention). Went in to investigate and found the wall just aft of the counter and in front of the happijac couch separated from frame. Note I was parked in a level spot with support jacks down. Any thoughts here? Mildly worried I have frame issue.
2018 Polaris Sportsman 570
Old 07-02-2018, 02:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughydman View Post
Been out 4 times in mine so far. Added 2 100 w solar panels with 2 batteries. This keeps batteries topped off great. Havent seen battery level drop below four lights at control panel. Can watch tv for a few hours at night using 600w inverter and run furnace at night. Thinking about not lugging generator around unless we know we need ac. Been boondocking in mountains for 3 of the trips. Little disappointed in fueling station hose and nozzle. Nozzle stuck open. Bought longer hose and new nozzle. Only other upgrade we did was go to porcelain high profile toilet. Worth every penny to do this.
Have 2 Polaris 570 that I pull in one behind the other and we can still open fridge. Couldn’t do that on our last pos forest river grey wolf. Tows good. Haven’t weighed but I would guess with our four wheelers and everything else we are close to 10k. Wish the tie downs were in better spots.
Biggest problem with mine was last trip while using fuel station I heard loud bang. (I don’t see how the two are related but I thought I’d mention). Went in to investigate and found the wall just aft of the counter and in front of the happijac couch separated from frame. Note I was parked in a level spot with support jacks down. Any thoughts here? Mildly worried I have frame issue.
No idea what the wall separation could be about. I saw your original post about it. Was anything tied down in the garage area when this occurred? It does make me nervous as we gear up for a huge road trip this month.

Yes - the extra room in the 272 vs the 273 is exactly why we went with this model. I intend to upgrade to the 1000cc Can Am Commander 4 seater in the fall and although we liked the bathroom layout (and room) in the 273, we went this route precisely for the extra room to fit a 4 seater, as upinthemountains2009 referred to above.

Upgrading the toilet is high on my priority list ... got a link or pics for the one you upgraded to?

I weighed my rig at the local CAT scales with my side by side (700 cc - 1,560 lbs) and the TH came in at 9,340 lbs. Without my utv on the same day the TH by itself with minimal gear weighed in at 7,780 - with all tanks completely empty. I'd bet you're closer to 11k than you think with both toys in the garage. Might be worth a trip over the scales to be sure and so you can dial in your WDH. Mine towed fine before I dialed it in, but I could tell a difference once I had it adjusted properly thanks to the weights, and had returned all but 100 lbs back to the front axle of my TV. I posted on here about the experience under 'WDH adjustments ...?' if you want to see all of my weights. Seems fewer of us on the JOF have this model than I initially thought would.
2000 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4, 7.3 PSTD, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (1503)
topshelfredlabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 04:16 PM   #8

Toilet we had put in is dometic 320 high profile. Comfy like a home one. I’m a bigger guy and hate how the stock one crinkles. Thx for the weight info. I think I’ll weigh it. It tows good with my 6.4 gasser but sucked pretty bad going up to the Eisenhower tunnel. You’re right about not many people that own these. Tough to find much info on these. Overall I’m pretty happy with it. Pretty good bang for the buck. Had a forest river grey wolf 26rr that fr or dealer would not fix a defect in black tank they both admitted existed. I’ll post any other issues I have with mine under octane 272. I use it about every other weekend once the snow melts here in Colorado.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughydman View Post
I've had the same loud bang as I transfer fuel from one tank to another. Turned out to be the tank wall is concave when empty and convex when full. The bang is the transition between those two.
flynmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 03:32 PM   #10

check the fuel tank vents, if they are kinked or plugged it will give an awful bang as the steel tank pops in. I had a kinked vent on my transfer tank, Generator Vent runs to a E-vap canister.
Old 07-23-2018, 03:41 PM   #11

When I say there was a Big Bang it sounded like somebody threw down a length of 6 inch heavy duty I beam. Also. Would the tank doing this cause wall to separate from frame?