Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-29-2011, 09:23 PM   #1

jayco octane 2008

I just bought it 3 weeks ago..it looks like its never been used.I really love this thing so far..other than leaf spring hanger on pass side broke off the frame and the axle shifted and the 2 tires started rubbing.has anyone els had a problem like this?
S10SAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 04:38 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10SAM View Post
I just bought it 3 weeks ago..it looks like its never been used.I really love this thing so far..other than leaf spring hanger on pass side broke off the frame and the axle shifted and the 2 tires started rubbing.has anyone els had a problem like this?
Welcome to the Jayco forums.

Wow, can't say that I've heard of a leaf spring hanger breaking off....., but leaf spring shackles I have. Do you have any pics that you could post?

The root cause could be a couple of things, but the location of the break may narrow it down (bad weld, bad metal, side-load torque, etc.). If they are the long hangers it may pay to have them reinforced if you load heavy and tow off-road.

One good investment I would recommend would be a Dexter HD Wet Bolt/Bronze Bushing/Shackle Kit..., getting rid of the cheap OEM nylon bushings is another benefit of the kit. Nothing like being able to shoot some grease in to these critical areas:http://www.dexteraxle.com/heavy_duty_suspension_kits

Look at the difference between the OEM and Dexter HD shackles:

Dexter also offers complete HD Suspension Kits as well: http://dexteraxle.com/e_z_flex_equalizers

If you decide to go with a Dexter HD kit, the following link will help guide you through the install if you decide to do it yourself: http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/21609645.cfm

Hope this helps.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Welcome to the Jayco forums.

Wow, can't say that I've heard of a leaf spring hanger breaking off....., but leaf spring shackles I have. Do you have any pics that you could post?

The root cause could be a couple of things, but the location of the break may narrow it down (bad weld, bad metal, side-load torque, etc.). If they are the long hangers it may pay to have them reinforced if you load heavy and tow off-road.

One good investment I would recommend would be a Dexter HD Wet Bolt/Bronze Bushing/Shackle Kit..., getting rid of the cheap OEM nylon bushings is another benefit of the kit. Nothing like being able to shoot some grease in to these critical areas:http://www.dexteraxle.com/heavy_duty_suspension_kits

Look at the difference between the OEM and Dexter HD shackles:

Dexter also offers complete HD Suspension Kits as well: http://dexteraxle.com/e_z_flex_equalizers

If you decide to go with a Dexter HD kit, the following link will help guide you through the install if you decide to do it yourself: http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/21609645.cfm

Hope this helps.

Bob
yeah I have a pic on my phone I will try and get it up later
S10SAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:34 PM   #4

jayco frame and spring hanger problems

yes,i have had the same issue.i thought that the bearings were gone,apon further inspection i found that my centre spring hanger was almost completely ripped off the frame.i took it back to dealer.they re-welded it up,1 motnth later it started all cracking again ,on both sides,apon forther investigation i found many more stress cracks all along the frame.my dealer sent it back to dexter chasse and axle ,the manufacture.and they said that it was caused by hitting a pot hole,i was not happy,but they fixed it for me on good faith they said.the frame in my eyes seem to be to thin and light for the weight of the trailer.so theyso they cut the hangers off and welded a 1/4 plate 8 feet long ,along the bottom of the frame,then re-welded the gangers back on and reinforced the "I" beam frame on the inside all along the frame.i since have had no other issues with my trailer.i use it every weekend during the summer and haul bike and quads.
desman_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by desman_4 View Post
yes,i have had the same issue.i thought that the bearings were gone,apon further inspection i found that my centre spring hanger was almost completely ripped off the frame.i took it back to dealer.they re-welded it up,1 motnth later it started all cracking again ,on both sides,apon forther investigation i found many more stress cracks all along the frame.my dealer sent it back to dexter chasse and axle ,the manufacture.and they said that it was caused by hitting a pot hole,i was not happy,but they fixed it for me on good faith they said.the frame in my eyes seem to be to thin and light for the weight of the trailer.so theyso they cut the hangers off and welded a 1/4 plate 8 feet long ,along the bottom of the frame,then re-welded the gangers back on and reinforced the "I" beam frame on the inside all along the frame.i since have had no other issues with my trailer.i use it every weekend during the summer and haul bike and quads.
Is your trailer an Octane as well?
2008 Artic Cat 650 TRV

Leroy2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #6

Thumbs down 2009 Jayco Octane frame failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10SAM View Post
I smelled rubber burning at a fuel stop and investigated the source. This is what I found. Both passenger side tires were rubbing the inner fender, looking further I saw the leaf spring shackle tearing away from the frame. I was able to get home and do a more thorough investigation on the frame. I pulled all four wheels and exposed the frame. Passenger side frame was collapsing from the rear wheel back and both sides of frame showed tears at all cross members (weld failure). I contacted the dealer and Jayco and was told there are no recalls on this model. However there are recalls on other models for frame failure and tire well clearance issues. Jayco is supplying wheel spacers. Not sure about frame.
Beaudyne is offline   Reply With Quote