Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-15-2020, 01:38 PM   #1

Question Just purchased a used Jayco Octane sl 222

New to the forum and a first time Jayco owner as of today.

I'm sure I will have many questions as I go along.

The question I will start with is: Looking for recommendations for solar panel set up to trickle charge battery. Unit will not be near electricity when not in use and want to keep battery maintained.

Any recommendations, thoughts and/or suggestions will be appreciated.
Flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 02:48 PM   #2

Depends on if you want it mounted to the RV or not. If not, Harbor Freight has a set-up that will work & can be daisy chained to increase output even more < https://www.harborfreight.com/100-wa...kit-63585.html >. I did not want to mount panels on my roof, as I did not want to drill holes up there (more potential for leaks). I was going to use two of these while out dry camping as my (factory installed) solar plug on the trailer lounge can support up to 200 watts. I would just pack it up & store it under the master bed when no in use.
I used to have two panels (about the same size as the 4 panel set-up shown in the link) on my Palomino truck slide-in pop-up camper for the two deep cycle batteries I used in it. It worked well during spring - fall, but would not get quite enough to overcome the smoke & CO2 alarms that would be on (due to wiring) while charging during the winter. But doubling the panels, or re-wiring so there was no draw would have resolved that issue. I ran that set-up on my Palomino from 2003 to this past spring when I sold it & bought the T-30F. On the T-30F I installed a battery disconnect to resolve that issue.
AZMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 03:03 PM   #3

Just after I hit "submit" I saw this post about installing solar on the roof. It also has another link within the post that sends you to the Jayco forum solar group. Between the two, I believe you will get the info you need. Happy Camping!

< https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post922314 >
AZMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 01:44 PM   #4

Yet another question . . .

I am replacing my Interstate SRM-24 battery. Looking for recommendations for battery replacement. Do I stick with the same battery or a different brand/type? I'm a rookie on this stuff so any input will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any and all input.
Flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 02:37 PM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
If you can go to group 27 RV battery. Just check your box size.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 03:56 PM   #6

For a trickle charger, I went with this from Amazon:

SUNER POWER Waterproof 12V Solar Battery Charger & Maintainer Pro - Built-in Intelligent MPPT Charge Controller - 5W Solar Panel Trickle Charging Kit for Car, Marine, Motorcycle, RV, etc

Didn't really need a big solar panel and was hesitant about mounting a larger panel on the roof just for a trickle as I don't boondock (wife is more of a glamper ). I have that large windshield in the front of the cab, and the suction cups provide hold it up there quite well when its stored. I realized that the TPMS and whatever else was draining the battery, and after finding that out when I couldn't even get in the door once, I decided to go with this. No problems ever since. Half tempted to get one for the house battery.