Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-15-2016, 09:10 PM   #81

Welcome, Coloradorv. This is a great site, and contrary to its name, you don't have to own a Jayco.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 01:05 PM   #82

Let's do something!

Quote:
Originally Posted by P25ct View Post
We probably have a quorum of at least 5 here with similar issues. Other avenues are BBB and similar organizations, Consumer Protection Agency, etc.
I have a 2016 Seismic 4212 and am having same issues along with slide issues. Isn't there a way for people to band together against this problem in a way at gets Jayco's attention? I'm thinking social media. BBB and all is fine, except it's a long play. When you start messing with Jaycos sales that will get their attention. Everyone, I imagine, goes online to research the coach they are going to buy. If there is enough mentions of Jayco in forums, Facebook posts, blogs, etc. Google will bring it up high in their search results pretty quickly.

I would suggest , based upon seeing the problems in the forums, that there are enough of us "suffering" form not only this problem with the leveling jacks but also the big slides. I personally have had 3 motors installed in my slides and they are broke again. Despicable!
Deanwilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:00 PM   #83

Dean I'm sorry to hear you're going through this. Why do they keep replacing the motors in that Schwintek? Interested to hear details on issues with both. I've been through ALOT with this issue on my 2014 so I can maybe shed some light.

FYI: Lippert has released a new hydraulic leveling system similar in design to the Bigfoot. It has self contained reservoirs and pumps in each Jack unit so there are no lines or tanks or plumbing etc to go wrong. Also with this design you can raise a leg if it won't come up with an override unlike the regular plumbed system. My point is, this is the Achilles heal of the Seismic, the electrical system. I believe it needs a hydraulic and with this system out it will be on my list of upgrades at some point in 2016. Well worth the investment. As for the large slide, there's slot of variables, having a good dealer and talented and aggressive techs is key to over coming this issue. I may be able to provide some value added info based on my experiences if you share your story with these.

At the end of the day we purchased a unit that uses electric slides and jacks and we looked past most other brands with hydraulics or cables. That being said though, for 6 figure rolling homes, these should work without these big headaches, I agree. Sometimes the stress associated with these issues is worse than the issues themselves.
P25ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:02 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradorv View Post
I am from the Open Range site and we too have had same issues with the electric lippert auto level, just a nightmare.

This is the 1st remedy I have seen that is reportedly working. Great post. I am going to try the truck to fifth wheel fix this weekend.

Curious how did it work out for you?
Old 03-18-2016, 04:07 PM   #85

P25CT. After reading your posts I switched to a startup/marine battery. Which has start up amps and marine capabilities, also called dual purpose.

With the 1000 starting amps available I do not get the error messages I was getting, the jacks motors sounds good as well as the slide motors, as if they are fully supplied with juice, compared to the weak sounding from deep cycle marine batteries.

I still plan on getting a power pole for the truck like you have. If you would consider posting a picture of yours that would be so greatly appreciated.

To bolster your theory, my inlaws have a 34 ft fifth wheel with elec lippert stystem and they have had no issues, however a co-worker just brought home a 42 ft fifth wheel with elec lippert and had issues with it from day one. So I agree with your statement, lighter units are fine with elec jacks but the 40 ft plus big rigs have issues.
Coloradorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 01:04 AM   #86

Quote:
P25CT. After reading your posts I switched to a startup/marine battery. Which has start up amps and marine capabilities, also called dual purpose.

With the 1000 starting amps available I do not get the error messages I was getting, the jacks motors sounds good as well as the slide motors, as if they are fully supplied with juice, compared to the weak sounding from deep cycle marine batteries.

I still plan on getting a power pole for the truck like you have. If you would consider posting a picture of yours that would be so greatly appreciated.

To bolster your theory, my inlaws have a 34 ft fifth wheel with elec lippert stystem and they have had no issues, however a co-worker just brought home a 42 ft fifth wheel with elec lippert and had issues with it from day one. So I agree with your statement, lighter units are fine with elec jacks but the 40 ft plus big rigs have issues.

Which make and model battery did you go with and how many? AGM? Size 27?
Old 03-19-2016, 01:56 AM   #87

I bought 2 of the following.

Duracell Ultra 34 AGM Battery Dual Purpose (Starting/Cycling) BCI Group 34M Marine and Boat
SLI34MAGM

Brand: Duracell Ultra
Voltage: 12
Format: BCI Group 34M
Lead Acid Type: Dual Purpose (Starting/Cycling)
Cold Cranking Amps: 775
Battery Type: Premium
Capacity 20hr: 55AH
Chemistry: Lead Acid
Cranking Amps: 955
Lead Acid Design: AGM
Made in the USA: True
Maintenance Free: Yes
Marine Cranking Amps: 955
Product Category: Marine/RV
Product Sub Category: Starting Lighting And Ignition
Terminal Type: DT, SAE/M8 Stud, SAE/M8 Threaded Post, WNT
Usage: RV
Warranty: 48 Month Full Replace, 0 Month Pro Rated
Old 03-19-2016, 04:54 AM   #88

Leveling Problems

Perfect. Going to go and buy two or three of them myself before I take her out of storage. Nice find. They have them in stock at Batteries Plus and I can order them online and pick them up save 10% and they have a 10$ rebate. Not bad. AGM maintenance free so that's a huge plus.

Just want to make sure the on board charger will still be fine with charging and monitoring a battery other than a deep cycle. It should be.

I'll get some photos up of the Powerpole as well. Powerpole also useful for running inverter reefer for long trips without killing the batteries.

Im going to talk to my dealer about a price this season to upgrade the electric system to the new self contained 6pt Hydraulic. If not this season definately next. Either Bigfoot or the new Lippert. Lippert will most likely need a year to get the bugs out.

As far as this system working better on smaller and lighter 5ers, indeed the laws of Physics are alive and well.

Last season used the yellow blocks and trimmed it out with the electric. It's hokey for a big rig like these at this price point but I got used to doing it and it's less stress for me than hoping and praying and failing and retrying, etc. the wheel covers usually cover the blocks so it's not soooooo embarrassing [emoji15]
Old 03-19-2016, 09:18 PM   #89

The lippert auto level system has 35 amp Maxifuse.

Auto parts stores, walmart, even local electrician store do not carry them.

You might want to consider buying a back up fuse.

Had to get mine online, amazon does not have the right ones.

Mouser electronics in Texas carries them.

MAXI 32V Series - MAXIŽ Slo-BloŽ 32V Automotive Blade Fuse

AKA Minifuse 32v 35 amp.

Part number is 0299035.

Mouser.com sells them, just put that part number in their search field. Also on their site is a picture of the fuse.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:14 PM   #90

P25 did you price the installation cost of the big foot?
Old 03-20-2016, 05:20 PM   #91

Yeah I did last year. I want to say it was like 6k$ - 7$kball park. Installation isn't too bad as each leg has its own independent reservoir and pump. So labor isn't as involved as a Level up plumbed central reservoir and pump system. The Lippert is supposed to be even easier to install. It will use jacks that have a total once piece Jack with reservoir and pump assembly. Just add power and control wire. It's on their website now. Bigfoot is an established product made in USA with good customer support.

By the way thanks for that fuse post!! That's good stuff. I need to order a couple. Nice find.

Do you by the way know if the group 34 battery will fit in the box for the group 27s? Jayco ships with 27s. Not sure how much bigger the 34 is.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:49 PM   #92

They fit just fine in the 27 boxes.

My RF jack just broke, when motor on it turns but just clicks, as if not catching. I think internal gear busted.......
Old 03-20-2016, 06:44 PM   #93

Leveling Problems

Quote:
They fit just fine in the 27 boxes.

My RF jack just broke, when motor on it turns but just clicks, as if not catching. I think internal gear busted.......

I had mine go on my 2014 right before I launched for a two week vacation with family.

I was extremely proactive and called Jayco right away. I had insisted on replacement jacks, gear boxes, and motors. Both sides. There is a shear pin buried deep in the Jack. You can't get to it without removing it. Mine did same thing and it was a totally shot gear.

Call your dealer and Jayco first thing. Depending on your relationship with the dealer have them push for new both sides. I have two in my shed as we speak that are evidence of a two year old (not even) rig with completely torn up and sheared gear.

PM me if you need anything to help.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:05 PM   #94

Update

I bought the Bigfoot 6 point leveling system.

Installed it this weekend.

Great system. Unlike Lippert....

If anyone needs help installing just yell.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:44 PM   #95

I've got a 2016 Seismic Wave 310W and have used it once, and ran into this issue. Now the lot I was on was not even remotely close to flat but I was thinking the Out of Stroke had to do with it running out of length to extend, so this thread has helped a ton. I eventually got it to level, after like the 10th try.

Now tonight in my driveway I was trying to autolevel the trailer and ran into this Out of Stroke error. My driveway isn't that unlevel so this was extremely annoying.

I started out leveling it off of the 1 battery that came with the trailer, while it was leveling I plugged the unit into a regular outlet (I'm using 2 dog bones stepping down from 50amp to 30amp to a regular plug) and boy did that speed up the motors. Anyways, it eventually errored out.

With all that said, if I stepped up to 2 or more batteries, would that help this? I've got room to go up to 6 batteries but would rather stay at 2 or 3 (I only have 1 now - interstate marine rv battery srm-27 deep cycle 12v)

You can see how much of a pitch this lot was on, I guess it's the left to right angle that makes a bigger issue?
GlampinLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 06:06 PM   #96

I would suggest getting 3-4 dual purpose marine batteries.

With the dual purpose you get lots of juice for the electric jacks and marine applications too.

Many of the out of stroke is actually a low amp error.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:50 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtTrailGarage View Post
I've got a 2016 Seismic Wave 310W
Congratulations on the new trailer and welcome to the JOF.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:06 PM   #98

Quote:
I would suggest getting 3-4 dual purpose marine batteries.

With the dual purpose you get lots of juice for the electric jacks and marine applications too.

Many of the out of stroke is actually a low amp error.
Is it accurate that I need to get the batteries at the same time to match them up or would I be safe with adding 2-3 new batteries to the one that came with it?

So tonight I tried what you guys have been successful at and that's running jumper cables from the truck battery to the TT battery, I've got a 2011 Ford F250 6.7 Diesel.

Didn't help, still got an error during the leveling process. Sometimes it doesn't say what the error is, other times it'll give the stroke error. Tonight it was just saying error and to hit enter.

If jumping from the truck didn't help, do you think the 3-4 house batteries will help?
Old 05-23-2016, 07:13 PM   #99

If you jumped it and nothing, then no. I had problems from day one with lippert elec jacks.

In the shop multiple times.

I gave up on lippert, took it out and added bigfoot system.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:44 PM   #100

I was thinking about buying 2 more batteries to have 3 but not sure I'd need the juice since I have a generator. 90% of the time I'm plugged in, the other time I can just use the generator. But if 3 batteries helps with the leveling, I'd get them, since it won't help, I'll just stick with 1 battery for now.

We leave for Myrtle Beach for a 10 day vacation, the spot we are on should be level, so I'm hoping I can get it to work correctly.